Alice in Wonderland 2010 film review

by tiggpanda145

Alice in Wonderland 2010

4/5 Genre: Fantasy

Plummet down a rabbit hole in this bizarre, slightly twisted version of Alice in Wonderland. Directed by Tim Burton and starring Johnny Depp (The Mad Hatter), Anne Hathaway (The White Queen), Helena Bonham Carter (The Red Queen) and Mia Wasikowska (Alice), this enthralling adventure of an impetuous 19 year old, whose destiny it is to slay the dreaded Jabberwocky and rid ‘Underland’ of the raging Red Queen, is sure to impress. But can Alice find out who she really is and face the biggest adventure of her life?

Burton’s dark and quirky themes are evident throughout the film and enhance the entertainment. The effective use of music creates a heroic and magical atmosphere. Carroll’s original surrealism is effectively recreated with good use of scenery and character portrayal with Depp’s Mad Hatter having a particularly edgy feel. The film depicts the topsy-turvy world that Carroll created and the mix of real people and computer animation is very effective.

The surprise element of the original story is ever present and you still find yourself biting your fingernails! By comparison, Disney’s original animated version is not as dark and exciting as the newer version but another Disney classic all the same.

I really enjoyed the film and loved its dark and mysterious undertones. The highlights for me are the gripping story line, the scenery, the music and The Mad Hatter of course! Burton’s spin on Carroll’s ‘Alice in Wonderland’ was incredible; the best film version yet!

Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:34 pm
Elspeth wrote a review...

WOW I don't think a review could top yours.

Your way of keeping my attention with the usage of larger words and twisting in every detail about the film is really good. Having Carroll's original and Disney's film version to compare Tim's to is a nice touch. By implying that the newest version still has Carroll's fun and creative Wonderland but also saying it has Tim's dark and mysterious crooked world with it makes this almost sound like what you would find on the back of the DVD case.

Very nice review in my opinion.

EmilieHaugaard wrote a review...

Hello tiggpanda145 :)

This review is very impressive. I think your language and sentence structure is just great. It flows very nicely :)

You made this movie seem amazing, and made me want to see it ( actually, I have seen it, it IS amazing). But i do wish you had pointed just one flaw out, explain why it didn't get five stars. :)

But I understand that you could only write a review with a certain length, and I feel like you did a great job at making a well-rounded review with so with so few words:) Well done :)

I like how you compared it to the animated version, and how you described the way the movie interprented the book :)

Overall, great job. I understand why it was recieved so well :) Just keep writing ;)

tiggpanda145 says...

Thank you! :D

ArcticMonkey wrote a review...

Hi tigg!

So I've never actually reviewed a review of a film, so I'll try my best to give my thoughts. I'll start with what I liked, then talk about what could be improved, then I'll give you a general impression. What I liked is the pacing. At first glance, I thought it was too short, but then after reading it I thought it was a perfect case of quality over quantity. I think the language that you used was very suitable for this sort of thing. Also:

Plummet down a rabbit hole in this bizarre, slightly twisted version of Alice in Wonderland.

This was a really good opening!

One thing I noticed is you used the word 'dark' to describe the movie. I have a couple of concerns with this because firstly, I don't think you should repeat yourself. I think it should only be used twice- once in the middle somewhere (or beginning) and then maybe it can be repeated in the conclusion at the end. Also, I've watched this film and really wouldn't agree that it's dark. I know it's sort of a matter of opinion, but I really think it's more eccentric than dark, because it's not really that mysterious.

Also, you rate the film 4/5, meaning you didn't entirely like it. That's all fine, but then there aren't really any negative comments about it in the actual review. It's important with these sorts of things to give a balanced view on the movie- also perhaps you could talk more about what sort of target audience you think would be suitable for this.

All in all this was really good! It was fast paced, intriguing, and a good length. To make it even better, just make sure you give a well rounded opinion of things, exploring different aspects of the film, and make sure you present more than one view! I hope this helped, please PM me if you have any questions or if you'd like anything else to be improved.

Keep Writing!
-Arc x

tiggpanda145 says...

Thank you! I couldn't have it any longer for the competition as it had a word limit! Yes, I agree with all your comments! Thanks! :D

StoneHeart wrote a review...

Hey tigg! Black here for a short review day review! :P (Note here: I have watched this movie and plan to try to give you a detailed review on your overall idea/ theme, the nature of a review, and less than on your baser writing skills such as grammar, dialogue, and description - anyway, it looks like Hannah already took care of that!).

Okay, so you did a good job on your grammar and style. Your writing made a usually boring genre quite easy to read, and I was able to get through it quickly. However, I get a feeling that this isn't really a movie review at all. To me (noting here that I don't know the official definition of a review) this isn't a review at all. Maybe a blurb for the movie . . . possibly an introduction. Possibly a summary. But I wouldn't call it a review.

Reviews usually tend to criticize/ praise some piece of work. They re-view it. They state opinions! Like this one! But they don't summarize. They do not make blurbs! Read this . . . it states (through your style) your personal opinion, but it shows it as a sort of, well, blurb. You need to A: Not define it as a review! Or B: Re-write it AS a review! A review tends to state an opinion about something . . . usually.

Okay, so next thing! You use a practically insane number of comma's that are diluting your point/ blurb. They're just killing it . . . sorry, had to tell you. Cut down on them, make your sentences more smooth and impacting (if you're writing a REVIEW then it's usually very essential to do this!). Impact, action, and personalness really help to keep a person reading your review . . . well, reading it (they are, sadly, my weak points :P As you may see).

Anyway, my personal thoughts on Alice in Wonderland (the new version obviously) are 'bleh'. No, it's not a bad movie. Yeah, it has some cool characters. Yeah, it's kinda fast paced and fun. Yeah, it's got really cool graphics. What's wrong with it for me though is that it really just leaves me empty. There was nothing to it! It conveyed NO information, no theme, no central idea! For me that doesn't really work. Yeah, it CAN be a good movie still, but it has to have an IMPACT to make an impression!

Anyway! As I said, this would be a VERY short review, and I must now be moving on . . . :D Good work, good style, good grammar! For a blurb/ introduction this was really nicely done, having a good personal touch which kept it interesting. If I read this on some advertisement for a movie I'd probably be impressed enough to go and watch that movie! Good work! Remember - Keep writing - Guaranteed improvement!

~Black~

Iggy wrote a review...

Hello! Iggy here to review.

[...]this enthralling adventure of an impetuous 19 year old, whose destiny it is to slay the dreaded Jabberwocky[...]

I feel like "it" is unnecessary to add here, so you should remove that to make the sentence flow better.

Burton’s spin on Carroll’s ‘Alice in Wonderland’ was incredible; the best film version yet!

Instead of quoting 'Alice In Wonderland', I suggest italicizing it, since it is a famous book.

Alrighty then! No wonder you won an award for this! Fabulous job, I think you did an excellent job in describing the wonderful points of the film! As a reader, I completely agree with your review, that this was an amazing movie and that Tim Burton did a fabulous job, bringing this classic cartoon into a realistic setting with a more dark and edgy background.

One thing I did hate was how he changed "Wonderland" to "Underworld". ;)

Great job! Maybe one day you'll be a magazine reviewer, for movies and tv shows!

x Iggy

Ego wrote a review...

Plummet down a rabbit hole

100% cliche and 100% expected in an Alice in Wonderland review.

More than 80% of the review has nothing to do with your opinion of the movie. I'd like to get that to 50-50 before you consider your review complete. Summarizing the plot and the characters can only go so far in a review. You should be telling us what you think. Opinion pieces should include more - wait for it - opinion.

Furthermore, the part of your review that includes your opinion loses a significant amount of the polish and panache you put in summarizing the film. Clean that part up a bit.

-D

Hey, Tigg. Congratulations on the award! This is a pretty tight piece, so it's no wonder you were recognized.

In light of that, I'm just going to take this review to point out some places where this could be perhaps expanded, bring out more of an ANGLE to the review rather than just presenting facts in a solid, grammatically correct fashion.

My first question is here:

Burton’s dark and quirky themes are evident throughout the film and enhance the entertainment.

I know a lot of people know who Tim Burton is and kind of know his style and his trademark, but I think it would be beneficial for you to try to define that. What do you mean by his "dark and quirky themes". What themes are those and how do they specifically appear? You specifically mention the music as having an effect, and that's really effective. Can you do the same here?

with good use of scenery and character portrayal with Depp’s Mad Hatter having a particularly edgy feel.

I'd break this sentence up into two, as you can see the repetition of "with". I'd also challenge you to define what you mean by edgy. Was Carroll's original work edgy? If so, in what way, and how does Depp's portrayal match that?

but another Disney classic all the same.

I don't think you need to say this. If people don't know it's a Disney classic, they wouldn't consider it a Disney classic, so you don't need to proclaim it. In addition, this extra clause to the sentence makes it drag.

The highlights for me are the gripping story line, the scenery, the music and The Mad Hatter of course!

Haha, but these aren't highlights! This is basically the whole movie. I think bringing in specific examples would be really valuable here, and instead of saying they're highlights for YOU, describe specifically why they'd appeal to future audiences. Also, please don't say "of course"! Not everyone loves The Mad Hatter. It feels like you're talking to the fandom of Johnny Depp, and that kind of "hi, mom" shout out doesn't belong in a review. Don't alienate your readers.

I also think it would be cool to explore other film versions a LITTLE bit more, so you can enhance your stance on why you think this version is the best film version yet.

Phew. Looks like there's a lot of room for expansion. I'd love to hear your specific thoughts!
PM me if you have any questions or comments about this review, please.
Good luck and keep writing!

tiggpanda145 says...

Thanks for the review! We were only allowed 250 words so I had to cut it short-they wanted info. on the film and opinions so yeah. I had a day to write it so I know I could have improved it as with most things so yeah! Thank you, tiggpanda145 :D

Knowledge is power.
— Francis Bacon