z

Young Writers Society


12+

The Past (2) *Revised*

by singingwriter1673


"Yes. I have big plans for you dear and I hope your life can handle them."

There was silence between us for the next few moments. I had no idea what to say or do. I hadn't thought about him for years and now all of a sudden he was back in my life.

"What do you mean by 'big plans'?" I asked hesitantly as I chewed on the inside of my cheek.

"You will find out soon enough. But right now, I need you to let me inside," he answered.

My heart stopped.

He was outside? How did he know where I lived? I didn't know what to do. I took a deep breath and placed the phone face down on my coffee table. If I let him in, I could risk getting hurt. I knew what he was capable of and I had no idea how much more cruel he had become through the years. I still couldn’t believe how much blood I saw in the two years that I had dated him. It always made me sick to my stomach when I thought of it.

If I didn't let him in, I knew he would wait out there until I did and by doing that, I risked him being there when James came home. I didn't want James to be in danger because of the mistakes I had made in the past. A past that he still didn’t know about.

I slowly stood up, wiping my hands on my leggings and then running them through my hair. I could do this.

I walked to the door and placed my hand on the knob as I carefully turned the lock. I took a few deep breaths, trying to calm my quickly beating heart. I turned the knob and pulled the door open, gasping softly when I saw the man in front of me.

"Tynan," I whispered.

I had forgotten why I was attracted to him for all of those years. As he stood there, his deep green eyes bore into mine with an expression that I couldn’t decipher. His dark hair fell lightly onto his forehead and I itched to push it back the way I had done all of those years ago.

"Hello, Marie. You've certainly grown up very well," he said smoothly, a sly smile forming on his lips. "May I come in?"

I nodded slowly and moved out of the way to let him in. My body screamed to get close to him but my mind roared to get him out of my apartment.

Once he was seated comfortably, I closed the door and leaned against it. I looked at him for what seemed like ages before I spoke.

"What...um...why are you here?" I choked out. I didn't sound like myself. I sounded like a curious and neglected fourteen year old who was talking to an experienced guy that was three years her senior. It scared me to death.

His rich, deep laugh bounced off the walls as if he had noticed my unease. His eyes twinkled mischievously and I was terrified of the things he had planned for me.

"A little nervous I see. Marie, we were together for a long time, darling. In that time I never raised my hand to you. If I didn’t hurt you then, would I hurt you now?" He shook his head in amused disbelief.

"Well, I'm sorry, but I'm a little shocked at your presence," I snapped, surprised that I could even speak with his presence controlling my emotions.

"Ahh, there's the sixteen year old I left behind," he remarked. "I was wondering where she was."

I pushed myself off of the door, a new found confidence filling my body. I walked forward, stopping opposite of him from the coffee table.

"Tell me what you want so we can get this over with," I demanded, crossing my arms to hide the fact that my hands were still shaking.

Tynan raised an eyebrow and smirked at me before openly letting his eyes roam my body. I'll admit, I had nicer curves and my chest had grown a cup or two, but I felt violated by Tynan’s eyes.

"I want you, of course."


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
1087 Reviews


Points: 44360
Reviews: 1087

Donate
Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:30 pm
Sins wrote a review...



Hey there, singingwriter, if I remember correctly I read the first part of this, didn't I? I found the first part pretty interesting so I'm really interested to see what happens next. You've already got some great critiques on this so I'm not sure how helpful I'm going to be, but I'll try my best. I won't bother with nit-picks this time because they're a bit time consuming and they're hardly a necessity because they're things you can spot yourself. As a result, I'm just going to get straight into my overall opinion and let you know what I liked about this part, and then try and conjure up some critiques to help you improve your piece.

Okay, so this seems to be progressing really interestingly. Not a great deal happens in this part, and it's not the longest part in the world compared to the first one, but I like that you are moving the story forward at a nice pace. Nothing seems to rushed, but it doesn't feel like you're going to slow or anything either. You have a good balance overall. As with the first part of this story, your grammar is also overall very good. There was definitely nothing that stood out to me as especially faulty, and so it was a really nice, smooth read. I'm also still interested by the concept of this, and thus far this does seem to me like an original and unique story idea. I'm definitely intrigued to find out what happens next.

I'm going to admit that I don't have an awful lot of critiques because either previous reviewers have covered everything I wanted to say, or the fact that this part is a short one without any major events because as a result, I don't have an awful lot to work with. One thing I do want to bring up though is that I'm not sure how I feel about the dialogue interaction you have in this chapter, and just the general character dynamics. In the first part and the beginning of this part, Marie comes across as though this guy scares her. It seems as though he's dangerous, and someone Marie would fear... yet when it comes to her actual behaviour around him, she seems somewhat confident and fearless. Take this example:

"You...um...you've been working out, huh?"


Not only does this just seem strange anyway because c'mon, who would say that to someone after ten years, especially someone Marie apparently fears so much. Plus it could be taken as a pretty suggestive gesture by Tynan, and that must surely be the last thing Marie wants, so you'd think she would be more careful with her words. As well as that issue though, it makes her seem pretty bold in a sense. I know you have her say it in a nervous way, but what it is she's actually saying is pretty odd. I mean, it's a compliment to him, and surely that is the last thing she wants to give him? I guess it's just something to think about.

The other thing that bothers me slightly about this is that while I do love a bit of mystery, and while I do like that you haven't given everything away, I can't help feeling that you may be acting a bit too mysterious with this all. I mean, I quite literally know nothing about Tynan. All I can guess is that he's some sort of ex boyfriend, but that isn't confirmed anywhere, so he could technically be anyone. Don't get me wrong, I want you to keep him as a mysterious character, but I also want to feel like I can at least grasp onto some information about him. Even if it would just be confirmation that he's an ex boyfriend of Marie's, and if he isn't, I'd just like to know what does connect him to her. It's just that as it stands with the amount of mystery surrounding him at the moment, it's almost hard to actually imagine him as, like, a person... He's just a being with no substance who seems pretty darn jerkish.

I think that's all I have to say to be honest. Anything else that I could mention has already been picked up on, and I want to avoid repeating what everyone else has said because that's just annoying for you! Negatives and critiques aside, I am definitely glad I found this, and while I can't help feeling that this would benefit from being longer, I do think it's as equally as interesting as the first part was. If you have any questions or comments regarding this review, just let me know and I'll get back to you as soon as possible. just drop me a private message, reply to this review e.t.c.

Keep writing,

xoxo Skins






Thank you for your awesome review :D



User avatar
187 Reviews


Points: 350
Reviews: 187

Donate
Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:58 am
ChocoCookie wrote a review...



Hello singingwriter1673!

I am here to review Part 2! Well, to be frank, I liked Part 1 much better than Part 2. Maybe because Part 1 had more detail to it and it sounded much more creepier and left me with thoughts. I thought Part 2 would have more to it but I didn't expect it to be less shortened when it came to details. But nevertheless, you left me hooked. Again.

My body screamed to get close to him but my mind roared to get him out of my apartment.


Excellent! I loved this part. It totally speaks about the difference of the mind and body, just the exact thought of what a girl could feel towards a guy of her past.

"Well, I'm sorry that I'm a little shocked at your presence," I snapped, surprised that I could even speak with his presence controling my emotions.


In replacement to "that", shouldn't it be "but"? Just asking, I had my doubts.

That's all I found from this Part! I'm eagerly waiting for Part 3! And again, hats off to being a great writer! I am looking forward to your works!

Keep Writing! ~
ChocoCookie






Thank you! :D I'll hopefully write part three soon



User avatar
532 Reviews


Points: 27927
Reviews: 532

Donate
Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:33 am
ArcticMonkey wrote a review...



Hiya singingwriter! I have returned for part 2 :D

You've done it again! And by that I mean you've left it at a really good cliff-hanger which really makes me want to read more. I also quite like that the stories sort of changed into dark fiction, or at least that's where I see it headed at the moment. I know it seems I'm just repeating what I said last time, but it seems one of your strong points was your dialogue.

Okay, now you may have heard of something called showing, not telling. This is to show that something is like this, through dialogue, actions, or description, rather than just telling it straight. In your story:

I knew what he was capable of and I had no idea how much more cruel he had become through the years.

We don't know what he is capable of! Maybe instead of saying this, the MC could tell a back story of something horrible he did to show us what he's capable of. This would be really good because it would add more meat to your story, and I think that is needed right now.

Also, it is drawn to my attention that most of this is dialogue. I think you need to add in descriptions of different things. I'm not talking about how the characters say certain things, but more about what's going on around them. What actions do they do? Really try and picture it in your head, with detail and then get it down so that we as readers can picture it too!

"You...um...you've been working out, huh?" I choked out.

I thought that this was a bit odd. I mean, I totally get that she's shocked to see him, but would she really say that? Try and think of firstly what you would do in the situation, then perhaps people you know. Then this will help you to see how people react to situations better. Unless of course this is how she really is, then I'd like to see that better described in other parts of the story!

I hope this helped, please PM me with the next part.

Keep Writing!
-Arc x






Thank you! :D I definitely used this when editing



User avatar
12 Reviews


Points: 1099
Reviews: 12

Donate
Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:16 am
maleficent wrote a review...



Maleficent here with a review!

I could risk him hurting me.

I could risk being hurt.

oposite

Opposite*

but what seemed sexy when James had done it only seemed creep when Tynan did it.

But what seemed appeciative and sexy when James looked at me was corrupted with uneasiness as Tynan now did the same.

The italics are just alternatives and what I would have written.
Another comment is just that you should try to include her name somewhere, I know it's probably in Part 1 but even so!

I really liked reading this, nothing majorly wrong just that one mistake really. You've done a good job and I'm kicking myself for not reading Part 1. I only realised that this was Part 2 when I looked to the right in hopes of reviewing some of your other stuff!

Hehe. I don't care though! I'm going to read Part 1 and I shall review that too.
Thanks for sharing!

Happy Review Day!






Thank you! :D




Courage, my soul! Now learn to wield the weight of thine immortal shield...
— Andrew Marvell