z

Young Writers Society


12+ Violence

Walk Away From The Sun

by xXravenxX


A burning vision of what could never be 
made thineself wonder is it only a dream?
for a reaper wielded his scythe towards the east
awakening a scream generated from a beast

His still , cold , and metallic eyes leer at mine 
for what seemed as if death had entered my lifetime 
Blood stained the streets ; work of the dead
taunting me to go back to bed

The Reaper whispered , " Go to thine room and lie there confused 
...for..we wouldn't want.. your mind to be open to mental abuse,"
I scream a wicked scream in my dream awaiting it all to end
my legs give in to the grim leaving me on the realm to only begin

The Reaper slashes my arms open but no blood was there 
Lo! with time running out with none to spare ;
I walk away from the sun and come slowly undone
for I know the end has just  begun



Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
95 Reviews


Points: 818
Reviews: 95

Donate
Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:15 pm
Clarity wrote a review...



Hey Raven,

So, first off I have to say that I like the content of this poem. You just let it down with the oddly placed punctuation and your rhyming seems forced.

Whenever I try to write rhyming poetry, I generally get comments saying the rhyming seems forced, and I can see what they mean, because the word choices to rhyme tend to ruin the rest of the poems flow. Which is what you have done right here.

Your content is awesome. I enjoyed reading it, but you need to completely scrap the rhyming scheme and adapt the poem to read without it.

Blood stained the streets ; work of the dead
taunting me to go back to bed

This one, sadly, made me physically wince. Dead and bed? I loved the first part "Blood stained the streets; work of the dead" But the "taunting me to go back to bed" ruined it. Maybe you could try something such as this: "Blood stained the streets; work of the dead taunting me..." That goes together, it was just "to go back to bed" that made it seem off and dismiss the feeling you had started to create. Read through it again, and scrap the rhyming

If you re-read the whole poem yourself, you should hopefully see what I mean. Honestly, this would be an awesome poem without all the rhyming because your content is really good.

Ah, the punctuation. For some reason it's all spaced... which is not how it should be at all. Now, this could just be YWS re-arranging everything, but you should sort it out as it makes the reading stilted and awkward. But, I think you used the correct type of punctuation otherwise...
Just remember ';' is used to seperate one large sentence into two two seperate parts, which could be sentences on their own. Remember that.

Overall, I genuinely liked this poem. I enjoyed it. With some editing, it would be an even better piece to read.

Well done, and good luck! I want to see this when it's edited or what not!

-Clarity'xo




User avatar
1464 Reviews


Points: 15394
Reviews: 1464

Donate
Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:15 am
Juniper wrote a review...



Hi Raven, I'm June,

The problem I'm having with this poem is that it feels like you are trying so hard to keep a rhyme scheme, that whatever you're trying to achieve with your poem here gets lost in the muddle. Rhyme scheme is great and all, but when it's forced, it seldom works, so my advice to you here would be to re-evaluate what you want to communicate to your audience and then see what fits into a rhyme scheme; whatever doesn't fit, scrap.

I say this because all it takes is one line to kill the momentum of your poem. You want to generate images, not force them, and here, it feels like you're trying too hard impress a horrific scene that your images are forced. There doesn't feel to be any motive behind the conflict in this poem, rather it is just gliding over my horror receptors, rather than making my hairs stand on end.

Furthermore, I'm not really sure how I feel about the switching of tenses and perception in this poem-- you begin narrating in an ambiguous person, and then you're in third person, and finally, in first-- it makes the poem feel disorganized. I don't see how any of these ideas connect, so it leaves me feeling unimpressed with the entire thing.

My two cents,
June




User avatar
7 Reviews


Points: 451
Reviews: 7

Donate
Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:37 am
View Likes
My21Heartbeats wrote a review...



I love this! It has so much emotion and pain and power in between its line. I enjoy the usage of imagery and certain diction choices just add to the overall power of the piece. I would enjoy seeing this on Tumblr and getting a million notes. All in all, amazingly done! :)




xXravenxX says...


My21Heartbeats , if you would like to follow my tumblr its xxdeadangelxx



User avatar
1274 Reviews


Points: 35774
Reviews: 1274

Donate
Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:13 am
niteowl wrote a review...



Hi raven and welcome to YWS! Overall, I think this has some strong dark imagery and the rhyming is done fairly well.

First, a grammar point: I don't think thineself is a word. I Googled it and it says that thy/thyself would be the correct pronouns. I admit it's not my area of expertise, but I've seen thy more than thine (e.g. The Lord's Prayer).

awakening a scream generated from a beast


This sounds a bit awkward to me. I think you could replace "generated" with a descriptor of the beast. For example "awakening a scream from Hell's fiery beast". How you describe this beast can change what you convey to the reader.

His still , cold , and metallic eyes leer at mine


The spacing of the punctuation is odd here, but beyond that, I'm not crazy about simply listing adjectives like this in a poem. This could be much more interesting by using a noun to create an image in the reader's mind. For example, if I say he has titanium eyes, it has a more modern connotation than if I say he has bronze eyes or obsidian eyes.

for what seemed as if death had entered my lifetime


I think lifeline would rhyme better and make a bit more sense. You could also rework it to add an allusion to mythology with cutting the lifeline if you wanted.

The Reaper whispered , " Go to thine room and lie there confused
...for..we wouldn't want.. your mind to be open to mental abuse,"


Not crazy about the ellipses in the second line. I think it throws off the flow. I also feel like "being open" is a weak descriptor of mental abuse. Maybe you could reword it with a stronger verb (burning? tortured? maimed?)

I scream a wicked scream in my dream awaiting it all to end
my legs give in to the grim leaving me on the realm to only begin


There's something to be said for internal rhyming, but repeating scream is doing nothing for me. Perhaps "In this dream, I scream begging for the end"

The second line here makes little sense. I like "my legs give in to the grim" but after that I'm lost. Plus begin and end don't really rhyme. I'd build off grim...the grim what? The Grim Reaper?

A more general note: There is some punctuation but it isn't consistent. I generally recommend punctuating poetry as you would prose, but it's up to you. I'd try to be consistent though.


I walk away from the sun and come slowly undone
for I know the end has just begun


To end on a positive note, I love this ending! It rolls off the tongue with the internal rhyming.

Overall, I think this is an interesting poem with some solid imagery and rhyming. I think the wording could be stronger in some spots to make it even better. Welcome again and keep writing! :)




xXravenxX says...


Thanks. I will try to be better




"Life, although it may only be an accumulation of anguish, is dear to me, and I will defend it."
— Mary Shelley, Frankenstein