16+

Peacemaker:Gods of War ( Chapter one)

by Ray112

Hello, YWS! So my name's Ray and just like most of you here i've always wanted to write a novel. However, I don't really care about being published because I just enjoy writing. So, I've decidead to do something different. So my goal is to write a complete novel online for free and for everyone to read. And, I thought YWS would be the best place to do it! (Woot!) All feed back from you guys will encourage me to keep going. And if any of you need feedback on your writings as well I'd be happy to supply that. :)

Part one: The Ripper

Van

Not many people realize this but there’s actually an art form to taking a beating. It’s something you have to practice at. See, you have to start off small at first like getting your butt handed to your by an older brother or by pissing off some punks at school. Then eventually, you move to bigger things like two ugly thugs who just had a bad day and could really use a way to blow off some steam…

Most idiots with a talent such as mine, can suddenly find themselves on a one way train to groundville. Or a cemented decent to the bottom of an ocean but I’ve found a more lucrative use for my talents. The world’s changed a lot and that's mostly because we’re not on the same world any more. It's been twenty-seven years since we came to DeusTerra. The old planet’s a distant memory. Some of us don’t even remember it. My brother got to experience it but that was at the age of four so even he’s kinda fuzzy on the details.

Back when I was a young lad I used to question him constantly about what the old world was like. It usually got me know where so I had to find other ways. I was lucky enough to find some old books written on the old planet. It was mostly fantasy stories by J.K. Rowling or Tolkein, but I also found some old DVDs of star trek (live long and prosper trekies) and Star wars.

My problem was items from the old planet were really rare and sometimes cost a good buck. I had no job and going to my Aunt Patricia or my brother were not options. I needed another way. That’s when I got lucky.

I discovered my talent.

This planet is very different from earth in one major way: Manu Dei, which means hand of God. It’s a particle unlike anything anyone’s ever seen. Some scientists describe it as radiation or pressure. It’s like water but in the air, it has no viscosity or anything. Don’t get me wrong. It’s just not something that can be described in words. It can be measured but it doesn’t behave like any known particle. It’s Arcanum. The secret of life energy, almost like—dare I say—magic. And it can be controlled.

I squared off against my opponent in the cage. I’m a small guy. Not small in height, but scrawny. I never quite shook off my tall lanky stage from back when I was in grade school. I wouldn’t say I’m the best looking guy. I have dark hair, and a distinct jawline. People tend to look up to me because I’m so tall, and I wouldn’t be surprised if my blue eyes attract a lot of attention. But, I’m nothing like my brother: big shot military Lieutenant. So, it didn’t bother me too much when the crowd started laughing…

OK.

Maybe it did a little.

Truth is before I saw the guy I was fighting part of me thought I had a chance. I mean, no one pictures themselves losing a fight. But this guy was just unbelievable. He looked like; the incredible Hulk had a baby with Juggernaut. His arms were bigger than my body. I’m surprised his feet didn’t leave cracks in the ground every time he took a step. Manu Dei or no Manu Dei, I didn’t stand a chance. That being said, I did have one thing working for me. The cage.

The cage looked like some kind of twisted medieval jungle gym. It had barb wires that crisscrossed what looked like mesh chain link wrapped fence that was horizontally wrapped around a metal skeleton. And the cherry on the top was a cute little ceiling that resembled monkey bars except with spikes on the outer edges. I know, all of that doesn’t sound like good news for me but I was depending on something else the cage provided.

“Hey, you ready for this?”

“Are you ready for this?”

“Come on Van,” Manny said and I guess he saw the look on my face because his eyes were filled with worry. “I’m starting to regret letting you do this.”

“Hey shorty,” I said. “Don’t start planning my funeral yet. What’s his story?”

“He calls himself The Ripper. Bet you can’t guess why.” Just when he said that, The Ripper was handed a live chicken from someone in the crowd and proceeded to—well I’m sure you can guess.

“Ooooh,”

“Listen, Van, You don’t have to do this.”

“Are you kidding me?” I smiled mischievously. “Bet double on me.”

I stepped into the Cage and immediately felt the density. Good. I had one thing going for me. Manu Dei has density. In some areas it’s denser than others and can become extremely dangerous for people who can’t handle it. I’ve seen people step into extremely dense spots of Manu and get crushed like a soda can. Fortunately, Manu is also a controlled substance. With the use of Filters we can thin out the Manu’s density and release it back into the air. However the owner of this little Mortal Kombat meets Fight club shindig made sure to allow no such filtering of Manu. The conditions were perfect for someone like me.

“How’s it going, boss?”

The ripper growled back at me in response.

“Not much of a talker? Did mommy not give you enough attention when you were younger?” The Ripper squared his shoulders to look down at me his ugly mug twisted into hate. God even his face was muscular. I could barely see his facial features. This guy was juiced. I really hoped I knew what I was doing.

“Both fighters get to your corners,” The referee entered the ring. He wasn’t short but I still stood taller than him, which was normal. I had that effect on a lot of people. The guy looked the part. He wore a black top hat, a red jacket with coat tails and gold buttons, and black dress pants. He looked everything like I imagined he would look with a long handle bar mustache to boot.

Part of the benefits to possessing Talent is the Sight. We can actually sense the amount of Manu particles being used in the air. Don’t be mistaken. It’s not something we actually see, it’s just something we feel. The referee pulled a small black device out of his pocket and pressed a button on it. The Manu .particles buzzed with excitement as the small device took in the energy they possessed. He held the device to his mouth and spoke into it and his magnified voice projected across the club.

“LADIES AND GENTLEMAN, ALLOW ME TO INTRODUCE YOUR HOST FOR THE EVENING. ELI VANDERBELL!” My jaw dropped. The crowd immediately erupted into a cheer. I looked into the crowd and saw Manny mouthing in mock excitement: Eli Vanderbell? The Eli Vanderbell? Then stuck his tongue out flipped his middle finger. Eli Vanderbell is a crook. The Vanderbell family is the riches family in the settlement. They funded everything. They bought out the family businesses. They controlled the water and any supplies shipped in or out of the settlement. I wasn’t surprised that his family bought this place too. Vanderbell stood and waved to the crowd careful to wipe the invisible dust off his expensive looking suit before he did. On his arm a beautiful dark haired women stood next to him. The guy had seedy eyes and a smarmy smile. I rolled my eyes. Some guys get all the luck.

“AND NOW…FOR THE MOMENT YOU’VE BEEN WAITING FOR, IN THE LEFT CORNER WEIGHING EXACTLY 545 POUNDS OF PURE HATE! BENEFACTORED BY THE ONE AND ONLY VANDERBELL,THE RIIIIPPPPPPPPEERRR!”

The ripper roared smacked his chest and prostrated to the crowd feeding on their excitement. I saw Manny’s face turn white.

“AND IN THE RIGHT CORNER, WEIGHING NO MORE THAN THE RIPPER’S PINKY, AND SON OF THE FAMOUS ALLEN WOLFE SAVIOR OF THE PILGRIMAGE, VAN WOLFE!”

I know the crowd responded purely to my father’s name drop but I didn’t care. I loved it! And I too postured in front of the crowd making sure to mock some of The Ripper’s poses. The Ripper growled. Gulp.

“THERE IS ONLY ONE RULE…” The Referee paused for dramatic effect with perfect timing so that we could hear the crowd’s gasp of anticipation. Oh yeah, this guy knew how to work a room. “THE FIGHT WILL NOT END UNTIL ONLY ONE MAN STANDS!”

Everyone in the crowd except Manny hooted and hollered.

“FIGHTERS….ARE YOU READY??” The Ripper squared up to me and his muscles tensed. I silently began to prepare my will. “FIGH—“The announcer had barely got the word out before The Ripper charged at me. Thank God for the Manu density that slowed him down, otherwise I wouldn’t have had enough time to will the Manu into the shape I wanted, an invisible wall a couple of feet in front of me. That one saving grace, is all that kept me from becoming pancake. This is a benefit of being one of the Talented. We can control Manu with our will and sometimes even transmute it into other forms like water or fire. I wasn’t yet strong enough with those kind of things as of yet, since they require a lot of juice. However, The Ripper’s a big meet head. I couldn’t out power him but I knew I could outsmart him. The shield absorbed some of the blow but it was nowhere near strong enough to stop all of The Ripper’s mass, but that’s what I was hoping for.

The Ripper slammed into me and sent me flying across the cage and into the mesh fencing. Pain flared all across my abdomen and despite the shield I suspected I still gained a bruised rib from the blow. Nice.

“Is that all you got,” I said between pained breaths. It wasn’t. Ripper was on me in an instant. He picked me up over his head and through me across the ring. I landed on the other side with some of the same results. This time the crowd hollered with blood lust and the Ripper roared with triumph.

“Hey, Ripper!” I yelled and he turned. “Your Mom hits better than that.” That ticked him off. The Ripper charged in headfirst like last time. This time I crouched, waited, and focused my will. I sensed the Manu harden around my boot then kicked upward. The Ripper wasn’t smart but he was a natural fighter. He must’ve sensed my strategy because he snapped back with the kick and I only clipped him. Then he tried using the force of his momentum to squash me against the fence again but I was ready for it.

I willed all of the Manu I could and imagined it condensing into a small ball in my fist. This time the Manu density worked against me because it moved a lot slower. But his forward momentum made up for it. The Ripper had no chance. I thrust my hand forward and released the Manu Ball. The resulting blast was instant. The Ripper flew of his feet his entire body bent like a horizontal V and shot back into the fence at the other end of the cage. He didn’t get up. The Crowd loved it. Manny’s jaw dropped.

“OH MY GOD!” I heard the announcer say. “VAN WOLFE’S USE OF MANU DEI HAS CHANGED THE OUTCOME OF WHAT LOOKED TO BE A DECIDED BATTLE!”

I prostrated to the crowd, waving my arms in the air to fuel their screams of excitement. Manny actually relaxed and smiled a bit. My first mistake, I got cocky. Call it intuition. Call it dumb luck. When the blow aimed for my head came, I ducked in time to see that The Ripper had gotten to his feet. And He looked more pissed than ever.

“OOOOH!!! LOOKS LIKE THE RIPPER ISN’T DONE!” The referee said. No shit Sherlock.

I turned to face The Ripper and a cold chill ran down my back. I opened up my sight and saw the Manu particles collecting around him. That was new.

I knew there were more Talents in the world. The problem is we’re a rare breed. A Talent isn’t someone you can detect using a device. Truth is, most people are never even aware they have one. It’s not a trade that can be learned, it’s always natural. When I use mine, it’s as natural as breathing. Right now, I opened my sight and could see the Manu particles gather around Ripper and coalescing into a focus point around his wrists, then something I didn’t expect happened. The Manu particles took form on the visible realm and encased his hands in two boulder sized gauntlets with spikes protruding from his fists. I heard Manny gasp from somewhere in the crowd.

This was bad. For two reasons, one: I’ve been practicing my Manu Dei for years and still haven’t gotten to the point where I could give the particles form on a physical level, and two: I was exhausted.

Fighting is the most physically draining activity a person can do. Boxers trained extensively in order to last ten minutes in a ring, let alone ten rounds. Considering, my use of Manu Dei which exhausted you twice as much on a physical and mental level, my body already felt like I just ran a marathon.

The Ripper cocked back his right fist, my Sight sensed the Manu particles buzz excitedly around his fist, then punched the floor of the cage. The resulting shock wave would’ve crushed me, but I was ready. I crouched low, waited for the crest of the wave then jumped into it and let the upward force it created lift me up to the top of the cage wall where I caught hold. I wasn’t dead yet. Even with The Ripper’s Talent I still had an important advantage: Brains.

“Come Down here and fight me worm!” The Ripper roared. It’s the first time I heard him talk and his voice didn’t even sound human. It was something like hearing a dog growl. What was this guy?

“No.” I shot back. The Ripper growled ferociously and shook the fence.

“Fight me!”

I had a better idea. “How about this, you stay down there and I’ll stay away from you.”

Ripper let out a frustrated growl. “Temper, Temper.” I taunted. It sounds strange and it argues against all common sense, but I knew the only chance I had was to keep poking the beast.

“Hey meat head! I heard your mom’s so fat that she fell in love—and broke it.” I laughed absurdly. Hell, even to myself I sounded insane. I hoped I wasn’t.

I could see the wheels turning in Ripper’s head. Ripper didn’t like me. Ripper didn’t like what I said. Ripper wanted to crush me. And there was only one solution the big meat head could think of.

“I’ll Crush YOU!” The Ripper cocked back his right arm. Manu particles swirled around it and BOOM. He smashed the wire mesh with another one of his Amplified punches. The cage wall wasn’t made to withstand force, instead it reflected the force upward in a wave that, once it reached me, sling shot me across The Cage.

I brought my knees to my chest, rolled up into a ball, and used the extra force to launch me into a flip over The Ripper’s head and land behind him. I crouched on the other end as he squared up to me.

“Hey meat head, didn’t your mommy tell you not to play with your food?” I cupped my hand in his direction and folded my fingers back twice in the universal gesture that said ‘COME AT ME BIG GUY’.

Ripper probably didn’t understand Basic English, but he understood that. In seconds he was on me and punched at me with a right cross. Thank you Manu density. He was slow. I was fast. I ducked under his fist and rolled behind him. Ripper spun around with his other fist and came down on the spot I was at moments before with another one of his ‘Hulk Smash punches’. The Cage shook with another explosive wave of force he generated. Perfect.

I knew I couldn’t beat him in terms of straight force. He was stronger than me. He had more juice, more density than me. But I also, knew that his strengths came with a price. Manu Dei isn’t about physical power. In fact, physical power is just a byproduct. The only thing that matters on the level of Manu is sheer will power. It’s a battle of wills. That’s what it comes down to. I didn’t need to beat him with muscle, I needed to out Will him.

I put my back to the part of The Cage that was closest to the audience. The Crowd jeered and taunted at me. Someone even through a cup at me, and I felt something cool and vaguely smelling of alcohol run down my back.

“Hey ass hole, how ‘bout you learn how to hold a cup!” I heard Manny yell. That made me smirk, good ole’ Manny.

The Ripper’s focal points for Manu were the gauntlets. The truth is, all the while he rampaged on attempting to smash me to pieces he had to focus (what little brain power he had) on holding the gauntlets together. That meant all I had to do next was…

“Hey, Meat head!” The Ripper turned on me, his face purple and twisted up in rage and exhaustion. “Stop trying to hit me, and hit me.”

The Ripper roared and charged at me in an instant. My body lagged with exhaustion, and my hair felt sticky with sweat. Somehow though, I managed to put myself in a crouch. I used what last amount of Will I had pouring everything into the Manu, and focusing on what I had in mind. I clapped my hands together. The Ripper cocked his fist back, the Manu buzzed in excitement and he punched. That’s when I lashed out spreading my hands just like the Mugen street fighter pose and released the condensed Manu I had saved up. A burst of energy shot out at The Ripper. It wasn’t meant to overcome the force of his punch, but instead disperse it—just like the chain link mesh of The Cage had down earlier. The resulting explosion knocked The Ripper high into the air, his gauntlets completely disintegrated as he shot through the chain link mesh and out into the stadium.

Many people from the audience scrambled out of the way as the big guy crashed outside the ring. Everyone went silent. And then…

The Crowd exploded in to applause. Everybody was on their feet clapping and hollering excitedly (except Vanderbull). Manny especially, was on his feet roaring with laughter, and excitement. He reached over and kissed the cheek of the guy next to him.

“I’m Freakin’ Rich!” he yelled.

The Ripper didn’t get up this time. I hoped he wasn’t too hurt.

Ok.

Maybe not. But I still didn’t want him dead. I let the applause wash over me. The fight was over, and I just wanted to go to bed,but little did I know that this was the start of a chain of events that would lead to my eventual death...

Aley wrote a review...

It usually got me know where so I had to find other ways. I was lucky enough to find some old books written on the old planet. It was mostly fantasy stories by J.K. Rowling or Tolkein, but I also found some old DVDs of star trek (live long and prosper trekies) and Star wars.

First thing first, "know where" should probably be nowhere.

Next, Star Trek is a proper name, so it needs to be capsed. Same with Star Wars, both caps.

Truth is before I saw the guy I was fighting part of me thought I had a chance.

commas needed

the incredible Hulk had a baby with Juggernaut
more proper names, Incredible Hulk.
Also consistence. If the cage is a proper noun, a place that is going to be referenced back to as The Cage, repeatedly, and always that spot, or another place called the cage, then keep The Cage consistently capitalized. Same thing with The Ripper. If he's The Ripper once, leave him The Ripper all the rest of the times instead of the ripper.

When elongating words in speech, try to avoid elongating sounds that stop, like p, t, k, h, etc. the safest way is to keep run ons of letters that are vowels, s, z, f, m, n, l, r, v. The reason being, when you actually say get Rrrrreeeeeeeedy to Rrrrruuuuuuumbeeeeeeeeel you're saying it like that instead of readdddy, which would sound like, re d, d, d, d, y due to the stop at the end of each D. Rrrrriiiiiiiiiippeeeer~ is the appropriate ripper.

Someone even through a cup at me, and I felt something cool and vaguely smelling of alcohol run down my back.

this is where threw is appropriate. Through is like to go through a cave, or a a door. Threw is to physically toss something, like throwing a ball. He threw the ball.

just like the chain link mesh of The Cage had down earlier.

done, not down.

The fight was over, and I just wanted to go to bed,but little did I know that this was the start of a chain of events that would lead to my eventual death...

This line made me laugh. I'm sorry, but it's just so cheesy sounding like that. It's something I've heard in so many trailers, or those shows when they do flashback week, This is where I am, hanging off a cliff, and this is how I got here. Woe woe.
Personally I'd love it if his death was a surprise, especially since he's probably talking to us as a ghost. also, you need a space after 'bed,' and it would be really fun to actually have a dead first person narrator. Very unique.

Right, reviewing.

Your characters are very well developed. I like that you have things about each of them which sets them apart from the rest of the group, and how interconnected they are already even if they've never met before. The relationships they make with Van are really solid connections, and how he interprets their reactions to things, or who they are, is really amusing. I'm shocked that he gets so many Earthly references, like the super heros and so forth considering Earth things are rare there, and expensive, but word of mouth passes things pretty well.

Setting, nice job with the Manu density thing. I really like the explanation of magic and although I would like to see it, if it is a will thing, as something he can believe he'll never run out of, and thus never run out of it, I can understand where you are coming from because just about everything says that magic has a toll on the user, which is physical. Still, you would have evidence to support that your character has always had that toll on his body, and thus it is just like breathing for him. We don't get tired from breathing, we don't get tired from thinking, we get tired from walking, and running. Unless he has to physically use his muscles somehow, there really shouldn't be much physical exertion. Mentally, I can easily see him having a harder time concentrating, just like when we multitask, but tired? Well, it would be a different type of tired. Also great job setting up who the villain is. It's a typical arch enemy, the rich guy at the end of the strings, but it's a good one.

Plot, so far I'm enjoying it. I really like what you've done with references to the brother, that there's an army, and the migration thing. It sets things up really well. I think we should be left to question the ending, as I said earlier, so I won't go into that again, but so far so good.

Overall, I actually really like this story. It's a bit long to be posted as one chapter a post on YWS, but I am still interested in where this goes, and if he actually dies.

Rosendorn wrote a review...

Hello.

This could be my lack of acquaintance with sci fi, but I actually found this really slow to start. I tend to get bored when I read summary at the beginning of a story, especially when it's backstory summary. I know it's a fast way to get everybody up to speed, but this beginning just didn't do it for me.

I get why you want to do this. This stuff is just so interesting that you want to tell us all now because it's plot important (I'll give you that. You're not exactly giving us unneeded information, past some of the more bland lines about his looks) and it's got the narrator's voice and this is just going to be so interesting to read.

I used to do that then I got a thorough amount of critique on it because it wasn't all that interesting, despite the narrator's voice. You can blame them for this critique, because as I started introducing more interaction and action in the story's beginning, monologues got a lot less interesting.

One of the best slow beginnings I ever read was River Secrets by Shannon Hale. It had a guy trying to see a royal announcement over a bunch of tall people because he was short, so he ended up climbing a pillar. Then the announcement was made and that was the true hook, about a page or two into the story, maybe three.

While both your beginning and Hale's have a similar slow buildup, Hale's showed the character interacting with others (even though no dialogue was said). He was too quiet to ask people move, too scrawny to push himself through, and too short to see over. But, he was resourceful enough to climb up a pillar to make sure he saw, which also revealed his curiosity and determination to do things for himself. None of this was explicitly said, but it was implied. These became keystones of his character throughout the story as he discovers his place in the world.

In this story, you skim over how your MC interacts with his brother, which is where I started to lose interest in the story. I wanted to see that interaction really quite badly, because how a person interacts is important to understanding his character. I got interested again when you mentioned his reaction to the crowd laughing, which was another interaction.

As a result of this monologue, where we're really just in the MC's head the whole time without seeing how he behaves around others, it's hard to get a grip on his character. You have a good voice with your first person and you're giving plot relevant information, but the summary of the MC's interaction with his brother just killed the beginning for me. If you expanded that, you'd have a much better story on your hands because we could get a stronger grip on his character faster.

One last thing: you use all-caps to show yelling. This generally isn't the best move as it's distracting in the story and the emphasis loses its point. Better to show the anger and intimidation through body language and emphasis with italics.

Hope this helps. PM me if you have any questions or comments.

~Rosey

JonQuill says...

I don't really have any criticisms, other than what has already been stated, so I'll just say that I really enjoyed this, and am quite curious as to where you're going to go! But that fight was way too short considering the build up, I say this purely because I enjoyed it that much I wanted more :P! Anyway, keep writing.

-Jon

Ray112 says...

thanks for the review :) the more feedback the better. my next chapter will be up soon :)

Thu May 23, 2013 11:10 pm
comrie wrote a review...

I’m super interested in learning more about the people of DeusTerra. I’m even more interested in learning about why Earth was abandoned in the first place. What happened there to cause people to leave? Did it become so inhabitable that no one was able to stick around? Questions, questions. I’m dying to find out why, but I’m guessing the reason behind holding this information back is because you don’t want to info-dump. I understand completely. It’s nice to have the reader wondering sometimes.

Also, the Talenteds seem to be an interesting bunch. I wonder what they are. I mean, I know they’re a breed, but a breed of what? Humans? I think I’m gonna say human, but they’re like super humans. Coolll.

Van seems like an interesting character. I wonder if there’s any animosity towards his big brother. Maybe he feels overshadowed by him. I can’t wait to learn more about his family!

I had no problems visually. Your descriptions were really good. And for the fight scene, that was so incredibly helpful.
Onto the nitpicking!

See, you have to start off small at first…

I think the beginning of the sentence should be reworded somehow. Maybe “See, you first have to start off with something small…” or maybe switch the words around.
Most idiots with a talent such as mine,

There doesn’t need to be a comma there.
It usually got me know where so I had to find other ways.

This sentence doesn’t make quite a lot of sense. What are you trying to say? Is it “It usually got me nowhere, so I had to find other ways.” Other ways to what? Quench his thirst of knowledge about the old world, I’m guessing?
…and going to my Aunt Patricia or my brother were not options

I think that instead of “were” it should be “was.” And maybe say, “…and going to my Aunt Patricia or my brother was not an option.”
It’s like water but in the air, it has no viscosity or anything.

I think you should “exists” after “it.” So: “It’s like water, but it exists in the air.”
Not small in height, but scrawny.

Perhaps it could be written as “Not small in height, but in size. I was scrawny.” Or “Nor small in height, but in size: I was scrawny.” You can choose whichever one looks best to you or maybe none at all. Lol.
People tend to look up to me because I’m so tall, and I wouldn’t be surprised if my blue eyes attract a lot of attention.

Try “…and my blue eyes tended to garner a lot of attention.”
So, it didn’t bother me too much when the crowd started laughing…

Why was the crowd laughing? Is it because of the fact that someone his size dared to enter the cage? Or because he was nothing like his brother?

Maybe “…was fighting, a part of me thought…”
; the incredible Hulk had a baby with Juggernaut.

I’d remove the semicolon. It isn’t necessary here. Remember, you want your sentences to be as smoothly read as possible. You can reword his sentence to be something like, “He looked as if he could be the offspring of the incredible Hulk and Juggernaut—he was just that massive.” You don’t have to add the “—he was just that massive” part. I just couldn’t keep myself from adding it :P
“Come on Van,”

Manny’s addressing Van, so put a comma after “on.”
“Ooooh,”

Van realizing the reason behind the Ripper’s name—ha.
End the sentence though. Instead of a comma, add a period.

Either separate this sentence by adding a period after Van or make “You” into “you.” Other than that it’s fine.
The ripper

The Ripper.
The Ripper squared his shoulders to look down at me his ugly mug twisted into hate.

Comma after me.
“Both fighters get to your corners,” The referee entered the ring.

Here, I think you should either add a period after “corners” or signal that it is the referee saying this. So maybe: “Both fighters get to your corners,” the referee ordered, entering the ring.
The Manu .particle buzzed with excitement as the small device took in the energy they possessed.

Remove the period in front of “particle.”
The ripper roared smacked his chest and prostrated to the crowd feeding on their excitement.

The Ripper.
I silently began to prepare my will. “FIGH—“The announcer had barely got the word out before The Ripper charged at me.

Put a space right after “FIGHT—”
That one saving grace, is all that kept me from becoming pancake.

No need for a comma there.
“OOOOH!!! LOOKS LIKE THE RIPPER ISN’T DONE!” The referee said.

“The” does not need to be capitalized here. Technically, this is all one sentence.
Considering, my use of Manu Dei which exhausted you twice as much on a physical and mental level, my body already felt like I just ran a marathon.

I think you should start the sentence like “Because of my use of Manu Dei…” instead of the word considering. Then you’d put the comma right after “Dei.” So it will be like “Because of my use of Manu Dei, which exhausted you twice as much on a physical and mental level, my body already felt like I just ran a marathon.” Or something like that.
The Ripper cocked back his right fist, my Sight sensed the Manu particles buzz excitedly around his fist, then punched the floor of the cage.

Kind of a weird sentence. Either you need to break this sentence up, or try to smoothen it a bit more. If you want to break it up, then perhaps you can say, “As the Ripper cocked back his right fist, my Sight sensed the Manu particles buzzing excitedly around his fist. In a flash, he slammed his fist down against the floor of the cage.” If you want to smoothen it and keep it in one sentence, then maybe, “The Ripper cocked back his right fist—my Sight sensing the Manu particles buzzing excitedly around it all the while—before punching the floor of the cage.” You don’t have to use these exact examples unless you want to. You can use them as a sort of basis, or not at all, if you’d like. :P
“No.” I shot back.

Van is speaking here. So add a comma after “No” instead of a period.
“Temper, Temper.” I taunted.

No need to capitalize the second “Temper.” Also, add a comma after the second “Temper.” So it’s like: “Temper, temper,” I taunted.

“I’ll Crush YOU!”

Don’t capitalize this word. It is not the beginning of the sentence, nor it is a noun.
The cage wall wasn’t made to withstand force, instead it reflected the force upward in a wave that, once it reached me, sling shot me across The Cage.

The sentence doesn’t flow that well here. Perhaps add a “—” after “withstand force” so it’s: “The cage wall wasn’t made to withstand force—instead, it reflected the force upward in a wave that, once it reached me, slingshot me across The Cage.” Orrr you can break this up (God, I feel like such a sentence-wrecker) and make it “The cage wall wasn’t made to withstand force. Instead, it reflected the force upward in a wave that, once it reached me, slingshot me across The Cage.”
But I also knew that his strengths came with a price.

No comma.

You mean threw, right? Someone threw a cup at him.
The Crowd exploded in to applause.

into
“I’m Freakin’ Rich!” he yelled.

No need to capitalize the “f” in “freakin’”

.
There’s a problem in tense, I’ve noticed. I only know because I sometimes have that problem in my own stories. But back to you—you’d switch off between past and present. So I’m not really sure what your intention behind that is. I don’t want to tell you to change something to, for example, past when you intended for this story to be written in present tense. Let me know so I can offer help in those areas. I’ve mostly left those parts alone because, as I’ve said before, I wasn’t sure what tense you were going for.

The suggestions I’ve offered are only that: suggestions. There’s no obligation for you to follow through with them. You can use them, or not use them. You can use parts of it and discard others. It’s up to you, the author. It is ultimately your story. My comments may seem blunt, but I just want to make sure that they’re as clear as possible :)
All in all, this was a very enjoyable read. Can't wait to read more!

Ray112 says...

Thanks Dana! :) actually while I was writing I was having some trouble with keeping a consistent tense. My actual intention is to keep it present tense. Also, I appreciate your suggestions. I think I'll use them when I do revision.

Thu May 23, 2013 4:19 pm
Tabithalillian wrote a review...

Hi Ray! I think this was a really great beginning. You didn't take your time getting to the action which I like in a story. You dove right into an actual narrative and I think it gave me as a reader some time to kind of analyze characters and get a feel for what kind of personality they had/are developing at this point in the story.

Your main character is pretty believable. Which is good, really good. I could buy into him as a person and the dialog you added helped with that. You start describing him a little at the very beginning which is good I just think there could have been more of it or it could have been done a little more descriptively. You are definitely utilizing "showing not telling" in this piece as the characters start to be described to us through the fight and how their body is moving in the cage, even the way you describe Venderbelle is very believable, even though it is so short and simply written.

Overall more detail in your descriptions and your depiction of this future world. I'm curious to learn more about it and I know you dont want to reveal everything in your first chapter but giving us a little more information would be great, just to clarify about this setting and his family and past. Like I was curious as to why he couldn't go to his brother or grandmother for money and maybe you don't want to reveal that entire part of the plot just yet. But just a little inference as to why he cant go would be good and peak my curiosity a little bit more.

Overall this is really nicely written. And it interested me and I love a story that starts out with a good fight. Just throw out a little more description and detail and i'll be hooked. Interested in learning more about your character and excited for the next installment to see where this goes!

Deanie wrote a review...

Hey Ray112,

Well, this is in interesting beginning. It was good. I liked it. There were a few punctuation marks, especially in the flashback when you used dialogue. Sometimes the sentences needed to end, instead of commas within the speech marks. And twice you made spelling mistakes. You used " knew" when I think you mean new, and "though" when I know you meant threw. Okay, now let's move on to the actual content.

I liked the beginning. It was a nice little introduction. You then moved on to the flashback. I understood the message you wanted to convey here, and why it was part of the story. But in comparison to part two I felt it wasn't written that well. It seemed more rushed, and sometimes I was confused by the dialogue. I think you need to slow it down there, and give it some more time. Also the flashback makes it seem like Alex will be a very important character, but then he doesn't show up in part two of the chapter at all? It confused me a little bit.

I really liked part two. I liked the idea of Manu and the use of it. It's a great idea to have a form of energy which you can control. And I liked the idea of the fight, and Manny. Also the introducing of the rich family was good. I felt like the fight was over too quickly, because it had such a good build up towards it. I felt like you could draw it out longer because you had a good build of tension there.

Lastly, I just wish we had more details here. I understand that they are no longer on earth, and that Van's dad was a savior to humankind. But where are they now? And how did they get there? I understand if it takes a while to answer the second question, but I would like to know where they are currently.

And nice use of character description! It fit in perfectly there. ^^ Hope this review was of some use.

Deanie x

Ray112 says...

Thank you for reading, I'd appreciate any comment for support please. :)

I should infinitely prefer a book.
— Mary Bennet, Pride and Prejudice