z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

Smoke, Wind and Conifers

by KimberleyRG


Lying dormant with it's sleepy memories,
Profound nostalgia burns in the bonfire.

Memories rise and ride on autumn wind,
Their heavy, smokey smell is addictive.

I inhale, try to detect and relive them.
I exhale, frustrated at having failed.

The fog that has descended upon my mind
Is permanent, solid, like the shadow of a conifer.

Why are my heartstrings plucked
Like leaves off trees, when autumn creeps?

My own memories have fallen victim
To autumnal decay.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
16 Reviews


Points: 940
Reviews: 16

Donate
Tue May 21, 2013 5:47 pm
saria wrote a review...



I'm still trying to understand the deeper meaning of poetry. I have a friend who loves poetry but when she shows it to me I don't understand. Then she explains it to me and I see the deeper meaning and how beautiful it really is. Or sometimes how it shows deep personal encounters. Or you just express your feelings. Could you please leave a short description for me?




User avatar
1735 Reviews


Points: 91980
Reviews: 1735

Donate
Tue May 21, 2013 3:24 am
BluesClues wrote a review...



Hi there! First of all, welcome (back) to YWS!

I love your last two stanzas. The images are beautiful and I particularly appreciate the use of the word "plucked" in association with "heartstrings." I know you say "like leaves off trees," but it also puts me in mind of stringed instruments, like a harp or viola or something.

(You don't have to add that to the simile you've got; it's just a nice extra association some readers might pick up on.)

Now, this stanza I think could be a little more precise:

"I inhale, try to detect and relive them.
I exhale, frustrated at having failed."

I like someone's earlier suggestion of something along the lines of "I try to breathe them in/sighing as they blow away," although if you could work the exhalation (beyond just a sigh) into the second part, that would be awesome.

Same for the first stanza. Specifically, the second line, "Profound nostalgia burns in the bonfire," is kind of blah. I think it's the combination of an abstract adjective (profound) and an abstract noun (nostalgia). The reader can't see either of these, so the line as a whole is kind of boring, even though we have the image of a bonfire.

Overall, though, I think this is pretty good. You've got good imagery and a metaphor that runs throughout the whole thing. Let me know if you want another critique after revision!

~Blue



Random avatar
KimberleyRG says...


Thank you for you help! I'll definitely take it on board and, now that I think about it, you're right about the 'inhale, exhale' stanza.



User avatar
1274 Reviews


Points: 35724
Reviews: 1274

Donate
Tue May 21, 2013 1:33 am
niteowl wrote a review...



Hi Kimberley and welcome to YWS! Overall, I think this is a good piece with some lovely imagery. Just some small comments on wording.

Lying dormant with it's sleepy memories,
Profound nostalgia burns in the bonfire.


I think this would make more sense if the lines were flipped. Right now it's a bit confusing.

I inhale, try to detect and relive them.
I exhale, frustrated at having failed.


The first line is a bit clunky. I might make the breathing imagery more prominent, for example "I try to breathe them back in/sighing as they blow away."

The fog that has descended upon my mind
Is permanent, solid, like the shadow of a conifer.


Interesting comparison, but I would cut "permanent" to make it flow better.

Why are my heartstrings plucked
Like leaves off trees, when autumn creeps?


No need for the comma, but otherwise, I love these lines.

Overall, beautiful poem, but there are some small things you could improve. Great job, welcome again, and keep writing! :)



Random avatar
KimberleyRG says...


Thanks so much, this is really helpful!



User avatar
241 Reviews


Points: 286
Reviews: 241

Donate
Mon May 20, 2013 8:32 pm
Jonathan says...



Well this is super good buddy.



Random avatar
KimberleyRG says...


Thank you! :)




The same boiling water that softens the potato hardens the egg. It's about what you're made of, not the circumstances.
— Unknown