Still Flying

by tteele

I'm not gonna bide 
till it might be too late. 
I need to fly,
I have to,
escape. 

My wings are still pure,
embroidered with me.
Waiting to be ragged 
by my own storms.
Carved by my own 
mistakes. 
I still need them to 
escape. 

I'm not going to be 
another one. 
I will be my own.
Fly my flight.
Break my wings, 
myself.
Before they do 
I will 
escape.

The queue grows longer 
as I stand here.
Feeling the flanks drop,
as they shear them 
to make him become 
another one. 
Too late to
escape. 

I raise my umbrella 
to shield me.
I won't let other's feathers fall on me. 

Aley wrote a review...

So this poem has a little bit of work that needs to happen for it to really shine. First off, I think putting me instead of what the wings are embroidered with is a cop out. I think you should pick something that will describe the speaker's personality and make that embroidered on these paper wings. Next, wings don't always mean feathers. For instance, bat wings and butterfly wings, dragon fly wings, etc, do not have feathers. They are also more delicate and look really pretty. I thought of these wings as butterfly wings instead of bird wings, so when you put the feathers at the bottom, it just confused me. Part of why I was thinking this is because you talk about them shredding and although birds do pluck their wings, they can't really shred feathers. They can look haggard, dirty, ripped, and that type of thing, but they cannot 'shred' them. So the feathers falling on your individual indicates that there are other wings? Why are we suddenly bringing in other people?

So aside form that, I would strongly suggest making the lines at the beginning of the poem more like the lines at the end. Someone once said that each line should have it's own meaning if you read it separate from the rest of the poem. This means lines like 'too late to', are really missing something. 'another one' really? So putting them together will create more meaning from the lines. Also, try to eliminate words you don't need, simplify the poem as much as you can so that you have to change words and use words that have more connotations with them.

Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:22 am
tragicHearts wrote a review...

Wow this really touched my heart and reminded me of a time I wanted to fly. I you captured that need to escape from something in a very deep moving way. Same goes for wanting to be different and your own not like someone else. I believe a lot of people will be able to relate to your poem which to me is a positive poem. I didn't catch any mistakes then again honestly what would be considered a mistake in a poem :).
Think you did really good where people can enjoy reading it more then once.

Have fun writing

tteele says...

Thankyouu :)

If you don't sign up for a review team, you're basically saying you're okay with canine amphibian metamorphosis.
— Nate