z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

rubbish.

by Epicdonkalous



Words appear to me,

connotated smiles,

clashing with scripted frowns,

all disguised under

translucent  

           ink.


(Note: Yes, this is short. It is as my other, more recent one - please tear it to bits. ^^)


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
83 Reviews


Points: 1115
Reviews: 83

Donate
Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:50 pm
skorlir wrote a review...



rubbish.


...Rubbish. Well. Be that way.

Words appear to me,
connotated smiles,


Connotated is spelled correctly, but is perhaps poor diction. The words connote smiles. I would choose connoting over connotated for clarity/simplicity. Shorter, better word.

clashing with scripted frowns,
all disguised under
translucent
ink.


Smiles belie frowns in words of ink.

Depth? Mmh. One is frowned upon (by social obligation), but mocked by lip twitches to the tune of smiles - words are a refuge, and a reason to be excluded. Both problem and solution.

In short, it is excellent for what it is. At length, it feels like a topic that could be expanded into more.

That's all I got for "rubbish.," but I never thought dumpster diving could be so provocative.

Be forever hortatory,
~Skorlir




User avatar
67 Reviews


Points: 3996
Reviews: 67

Donate
Sun May 26, 2013 9:34 am
Catnip wrote a review...



Hi there, Epicdonkalous ^-^ and Happy Review Day!
I say this to everybody, but feel free to ask me to review anything at any time ^-^ I genuinely don’t mind. I also help with editing, it’s sort of my forte, so if you’re ever uncertain about your work or have over read a piece, you can have me examine it and I’ll do my best to give advice and whatnot.
Anyhoo! Initially, I think the bold text is distracting. I’d advise you to remove the boldness from it, and it would look and read a lot better ^-^
And, err, “connotated”? Is that a word?
Overall I find this piece to be short and without much of a point. If you had enscripted some deeper meaning to it, the length wouldn’t have matter. But given that there isn’t any “Point” or “deeper meaning”, I don’t understand the point of writing it? What were you trying to say with this piece??
Anyhoo, Do your best and good luck with your writing.
^-^ ~Catnip




User avatar
213 Reviews


Points: 150
Reviews: 213

Donate
Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:01 am
dark says...



You say tear to bits, I say bravo! It is a very distinguished poem in my eyes. Other simply look at the length of the poem, not the poem itself. Your use of the word translucent is spot on, my friend. Keep it up! You have all the time you need!




User avatar
806 Reviews


Points: 1883
Reviews: 806

Donate
Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:16 pm
Aley wrote a review...



In the heart of tearing it to bits I shall do my best <3

For the style you have something unique which I'm not sure is useful in the long run, a completely bolded poem. The point of bold text is to really emphasize something, but when everything is emphasized, well, it turns into looking for water in the middle of the ocean, or standing in the middle of a forest to enjoy green, you're overwhelmed and it becomes mundane pretty quickly. Because of that I think you could leave it unbolded and the poem would have the same effect. The interesting thing would be if you just bolded parts of it such as the commas, or the first letters, or last letters where someone would pause when they were painting with ink.

In your first line you establish that there is a you and me, but after that you never really deal with this me you situation again, so why not drop the person out of this poem all together? Is there a reason that it needs to appear to you and not just appear in general? To me I don't think it's necessary. The only thing it seems to do is really establish that the entire poem is not a metaphor, but that there is civilization in there somewhere, and your perspective on civilization. I think having civilization in there from the title would really be better than from the metaphoric text.

I don't think you need a comma after smiles. when I read it with the commas, it seems like it's too broken up. If you remove the comma there, then you've got something that flows together nicely. Also the denotation of clashing dictates that it should be smashing into something, so why not smash the two lines together by eliminating the comma?

The theme is really beautiful. I think that's the thing that you did best on this poem. You've got an interesting, intense controversy with the theme. First you have words being emotional smiles, happiness, but they're hidden in the connotation of the words, so this happiness is under the surface and only available when you look around the words at what they mean in society. After that, you are talking about the denotation of the word, the scripted section really reminds me of the denotation how it is the thing on top, the thing which is actually said. Scripted also has a double meaning of things that are false though, so having the connotation and the denotation not match is perfectly executed and described by the second and third lines.

After that you get into the theme of where all of this is happening, and how it's happening under nearly invisible ink. To me this seemed rather useless. I would stop the poem up after scripted frowns personally. I think you've already made a really strong point and there's no reason to have this last bit tacked on aside from to explain that the bold is ink, which I kind of disagree with including anyway. It does help explain that everything is hidden under the surface, but denotation IS the surface, so that is contradictory aside form the fact that it is translucent instead of transparent. This last section of the line is really pretty, and it does work for a conclusion, but I think the real heart of your poem ends at the third line.

-Aley






...the bolding was an accident xDD And woot, thanks, love x3



User avatar
17 Reviews


Points: 337
Reviews: 17

Donate
Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:26 pm
noelsugarcube wrote a review...



Ok, i admire the fact you some how made an awesome poem so short, but any reason why? im just curious. SO then, as for reviewing, this poem, like i said before, is well made. I ask this question (and others) "connotated smiles,". That is a very unique usage, but i think connotated is spelled wrong. just saying. So, as a future note, check over everything before you post? Im not trying to be mean or anything, just a helpful reminder. so yeah, great poem, and keep up the great work!






You are thinking of "connoted", which would work there, as I think "connotated" exists Britain...minor exchange of words....but I could be wrong, as I often am xD But thanks!



User avatar
279 Reviews


Points: 40
Reviews: 279

Donate
Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:16 pm
MasterGrieves says...



Holly! :D
This is not necessarily a review, but just to say I really liked this. Short, but sweet.
Happy trails!!!





Lily you are my fig father
— Elliebanana