E - Everyone Mature Content

Esc (750 word)

by FoldInFull

Esc

Thunder rumbled overhead. The young man stood motionless as he waited for the evening train. In his left hand, a small sheathed umbrella – the kind that unravelled with the swipe of a velcro tab. In his right hand he held the strap of a satchel bag, bulging with papers and a hefty notebook. A stout woman passed him offering only a glance as she trotted briskly towards the far end of the lonely platform, a yellow notice in hand. The unforgivingly rapid clack-clack of her stapler yielded to the closer sound of heels on concrete. A couple moved along the platform in the opposite direction; a middle-aged woman guiltlessly clutching her elderly man as they followed her fervent steps through bites of the cold Autumn air, towards the distant glow of an ATM.

The young man seemed oblivious to the platform. His gaze fixed on the ground, even the serenity of his still feet was only a slight moment of intermission prior to the next act. Ants marched in line, driven by purpose that once may have intrigued the man, but he simply sighed, resorting only to a quick glance at his surroundings. Then, head kept low, he resumed his scrutiny of the split pavement and began clicking his tongue. Each second hauled the home-bound train closer.

* * *

I’m sorry.

The young man’s creased brow was illuminated by the glow of the notebook, the only source of light in his dark room. His chair squealed as he edged his damp face up to a mere inch from the screen. Had he typed that line? The document was open long before he left the train, but not once had he pressed a key. He widened his eyes, refusing the strain and weariness that fought to pull them closed. The sound of rain and now roaring thunder – when it had begun he was not aware – did not aid his cause. Oddly enough, despite the eerie message displayed on his laptop and the discomfort of his still-damp clothing, the weather calmed him.

The young man’s attention eventually returned to his work, looping the rope, pulling it through, tying it off within the darkness of his room. Within the confines of his bedroom, the man normally felt at peace, however the unexplainable words scratched at his thoughts. Little time had passed before the click-click ­taka-taka of the keys on his notebook returned, guiding a chill up the length of his back. From where he sat, the young man could see the words there beneath the previous message:

No way out,

The insertion point – the line that marked the position of the cursor, the one that foresaw where each letter, number or symbol would appear next, the line that kept everything in order – it hovered there, blinking, and it followed the nervous rhythm of the young man’s tongue, cluck, cluck, cluck. He sat there, simply staring, for only a few more moments than one could count, before he realised what he was doing. He stopped clicking his tongue. The only sounds now: the gentle pattering of rain outside and the soft hums of his computer.

Time passed, and cautiously, the man once more edged his chair closer to the desk. His right hand moved towards the notebook and, bearing the grimace of a man being tortured horrendously, he pressed a single key.

m

A shrill wail instantly invaded the room, saturating the silent air with ethereal agony. The young man rose to his feet suddenly, covering his ears with his shaking hands. He knew her – the woman - he surely couldn’t bear to think of it? Yet, the thought was there. His body shuddered as guilt began to wrench his conscience.

Then, almost as suddenly as it began, the noise ended – replaced by the same click-click ­taka-taka of his keyboard now quickly typing. He once more stole a glance from between his fingers at the glowing screen.

must leave.

That was it.

The young man left the notebook, some unseen entity still typing away at it, and went back to work. He shut his eyes, trying to imagine a peaceful place, but the typing only became more frantic; click-click taka-taka. He clenched his eyes, still fumbling blindly with the rope, while the weather outside began to stir once more. Peals of clashing thunder overwhelmed the sound of rain sheets slamming against the roof.

The young man worked through it all. Finally finished, he stood on his chair. He did so, not with a proud arrogance, but with a calm composure. With his foot, he closed the notebook which had long ceased typing – but not before glimpsing the final line:

Goodbye.

* * *

As the nurses escorted the young man away, the stout woman’s air of indifference was unfaltering. Despite the noose she found dangling from the rafters, the letter addressed to her on the computer and the frustrated screams of her captive son, she simply watched.

The End

Noelle wrote a review...

I'd like to start off by saying that the introductory paragraphs are great. It seems almost like a prologue to a novel, giving us just enough information to be interested, but not enough to give anything away. Your style of writing is good as well, straight forward with great imagery mixed in. I was pulled into the story after the introductory part. Nice.

Forgive my ignorance, but isn't a notebook like a book with paper in it? Or like a tablet? Neither of those would make a clicking sound.

The ending was so sad and unexpected. So, this man committed suicide and this is him writing his suicide note, right? The story is kind of confusing, but maybe it's just me. Who knows. Anyway, the ending is great, leaving another sense of mystery like the first part did. I love it when short stories end with something like that because it really gets the reader thinking. It's like a guarantee that the reader will remember the story after reading it because they won't be able to stop thinking about what happened.

Overall this is a great story. You write with a certain maturity that I admire. The words you choose are perfect and make the story flow well. Your character could've been developed more, but looking back at this, I don't think it's quite necessary to know about this man. The only thing we really need to know is that he's writing a suicide note and he's having trouble writing it. I guess more about the setting could be added too.

**Noelle**

FoldInFull says...

Thanks for the feedback :)

Yeah it's intentionally ambiguous - ties in with my personal interpretation well, but every reader is different.

Notebook = laptop

Jonathan wrote a review...

OK here I am for a review on this chapter book thing so far it is really good but the first thing I noticed was that you are putting way to much information here but some times that can be good to if you know how to use. :D

And another thing some of your paragraphs are to big and I am knot sure why you put the ants march in line.

OK this is super discordant no o fence first he is standing the next he is siting down in the train the next he is in his room.

Know you did not put any description of the young man or even what his name was just the young man is what you call him you dont even really have a grand them to it its just a guy.

Anyway good job with your spelling and grammar it was good.

Keep writing and good luck. :D

FoldInFull says...

I don't think you understood it at all :/ but thanks for trying :).

The story is intended for individual interpretation, so if that's how you took it cool potatoes! The ants were intended as an extended metaphor for the droll life he leads, hence the title of the SHORT STORY (as referred to in the title) - "Esc" (escape life, suicide, ghost story?).

Keep reviewing and good luck. :D

Omni wrote a review...

Here to review for you today? (Why did I put that question mark there?) My name is Aquestioning. Quest if you don't wanna be formal, Omniyus if you're old, and I will be reviewing this work for you today.

Why will I be doing that? To get ready for review day, of course! That's basically the only time I get to review now adays, so I like to prepare for it! I haven't reviewed in about a month, so you'll be my guinea pig XD.

Without any further interruptions from my train of thought, let's start the review!

So, with this first paragraph, I can already tell that there are nice descriptions in this story. However, that can come with a few problems. There, in my opinion, is a balance between too much and too little descriptions. Be careful about that, because this looks to be a lot of describing in a small timetable. It's great, but probably not the best way to start off a story, unless you want it to be that way.

No way out

Ooh, is this a scary story? I think it might be! I like the way it is going so far.

I see where description is needed in this part! I could feel myself hearing the scream! Very nice atmosphere. I, myself, am a fan of scary games, and I played a game that was just like this. I love it!

The ending certainly caught me off guard, I have to say! I think this should be more than just 750 words. It definitely is one of those stories where you, the reader, or me in that case, wants to read more!

So write more! I like this!

Running out of time, before I have to go, so I hope this helped!
Quest

FoldInFull says...

Thank your for the review! I realise you were busy, but I would have loved to see you continue the in-depth analysis.

As I mentioned - well I thought i mentioned (seems the new system doesnt incorporate the description in the submission?) - it's a short story max 750 words for Uni. This is why I did not further flesh it out.

The reason I invested many words in the opening's description is both atmosphere and thematic. I wanted to provide at least a small amount of background for the responder's grasp on why the 'young man' is doing this to himself, tying in with the intended theme of escape.

Thanks again, keep reviewing "Quest"? !

Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:49 am
sbear1231 says...

Hey, first of all, I thought that your story was very interesting! I love how you added so much mystery into the story. In the beginning, I certainly was not expecting that kind of ending. Even in the middle of the story I still had no idea how it would end! You have an amazing ability to keep things hidden from the audience until the very last second. It makes the story so much more suspenseful and the ending a lot more memorable. I loved how every sentence was very simple, giving the reader only what they need to understand the basics of the plot and emotions within the main character. There really isn't anything bad I can say about this particular piece of work except that at a few points you were a little too vague. As I said before, being vague in writing is great to build suspense but too much can lead the reader to be confused, so all i would have to say is watch out for that. The best way that I find is to give the story to a third party, get them to read it and tell you when they stop understanding what is going on in the story. Other than that, I thought that this is an amazing piece of writing and I would love to read more of your work!
-sbear1231

FoldInFull says...

Thanks for the review Squarepants! See above for response.

I don't care what the miserable excuse is for showing the death of books, live, on screen. Men, I could understand; but books! -
— Edwin Morgan, From the Video Box 2