z

Young Writers Society


12+

The Books on the Shelf

by Rydia


A parody of 'The Fog on the Tyne' - scroll down for a link to the original.

The Books on the Shelf

Larkin' in a latent library
Lookin' up lavish lofty tomes
Lurkin' up lamely, lurkin' up longways
Think I'll take them all home
'Cause the books on the shelf are all mine, all mine
The books on the shelf are all mine
The books on the shelf are all mine, all mine
The books on the shelf are all mine

Would a watcher welt a wicked wordsmith miser
Would a watcher witicise 
That a wicked wordsmith miser's just a plagiariser
who's too cheap to plagiarise. 
And the books on the shelf are all mine, all mine
The books on the shelf are all mine
The books on the shelf are all mine, all mine
The books on the shelf are all mine

Tell it to the cross roads, temptation takes her time
To tell you what tonight will pass
Presently we'll read a book or two together
or spread them on the ground like maps.

We can read together, we can have a conference
We can watch a clock on the wall
If someone slips a novel down their hoarder's hovel
Let them take them all; don't give a call
'Cause the books on the shelf are all ours, all ours
The books on the shelf are all ours
The books on the shelf are all ours, all ours
The books on the shelf are all ours

Original here, 12+ for mature content: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icKUyePvQDg
A re-make by Gazza: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FyN-aJa0gk


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
157 Reviews


Points: 22293
Reviews: 157

Donate
Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:18 am
ERZA wrote a review...



Wow!!!!I Simply love the sound of this song....its amazing how you wrote it....I am a bookworm who madly loves how the books in the library smell...so I could sort of relate to it...and really as the above person has said that there are a few things that do not make sense or something....well..to me it makes sense alright. Aand then again I think you could write the common parts of the chorus about all the books being yours in a different stanza...

Now...um the clock thing...I think you were refering to those who simply like to be in the library, drowing in the smell of the books to calm their mind...sort things out but not read a book...instead stare at the clock....or something right?

Then again about sliping a book in the hoarder or something means as if someone simply lifted a few books and took them home...to read them in the cosy chair while wraping themselves up in a blanket or something....

If it was how I said then you have expressed it beautifully...

And the best part of the song was....the books on the shelf are all mine...it is simply roaming in my head in a good way...love it!!!

How do they review through a tab??? This is a review...but I do not know if I get any points for this anyways...wonderful job.....I will listen to the original som other time...ok so please do not mind




User avatar
1334 Reviews


Points: 25864
Reviews: 1334

Donate
Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:44 am
Hannah wrote a review...



I think a lot of this works well. I haven't listened to the original! So! That's where my review's coming from.

I love that somehow, even while being restricted to alliterating words, you had such specificity in what you were describing. That you could describe the action of someone searching the shelf, that you could pull off such a relevant jab in the second stanza, all while being confined to w's and rhyme.

The place where I first get off the happy-train is here:

Tell it to the cross roads, temptation takes her time
To tell you what tonight will lose
Presently we'll read a book or two together
Ev'rybody tie their shoes


Again, having not listened to the original, I'm not sure if the original also takes a leap away from the main subject matter and gives a couple of seemingly-nonsense lines here, but I don't appreciate them even for ridiculousness. They're not vivid or engaging enough to make me feel like it's a pleasant break from the book story.

The same problem kind of seeps into the last stanza. The clock on the wall doesn't seem related to reading and books. It seems to kind of have the same rocking sort of relaxation that these readers might have, but it doesn't sit right with me. Neither does the phrasing "down their hoarder's hovel". 'Cause isn't a hovel a building. How would they slip a book down their building? Their home? You might say "back to their hoarder's hovel"? Unless the extra syllable completely throws off the melody of the song. Even "to" might work. I also don't like "don't give a call", 'cause it sounds forced. I understand it means don't call 'em out on it, but it's phrased weird and I want you to go out with as much of a bang as you started this parody with.

Hopefully this helps some.
Let me know if you have any questions, please!
Good luck~





On some days, my will to write disappears faster than a donut at a police station.
— Arcticus