The Society Song

by Panikos

(Verse 1)
Wearing a 'geek' top doesn't make you so,
It's all false advertising brazenly on show.
You do something stupid in the name of 'YOLO',
Yet all that defines us is all that you don't know.

(Pre-chorus)
Oh, you think you're everything.
Oh, you think you're everything. 
But I've got news for you. 

(Chorus)
Your thoughts - a quote,
Your life - a song.
Take off those words and face the world, 
And where do you belong?

Your clothes - a trend,
Your face - a mask.
Remove that crowd and speak aloud,
Let's see how long you'll last.

(Verse 2)
You say you're 'indie' when you're just the same.
Claim you're the victim when you're the one to blame. 
Do something thoughtless, give stupid a new name
Just to get a quickly swept fifteen minutes of fame.

(Pre-chorus)
Oh, you think you're everything.
Oh, you think you're everything. 
But I've got news for you. 

(Chorus)
Your thoughts - a quote,
Your life - a song.
And where do you belong?

Your clothes - a trend,
Your face - a mask.
Remove that crowd and speak aloud,
Let's see how long you'll last.
__________________________________________________________________________________________

So I wrote these lyrics for a song in my band a month or so back, and I thought I'd like to share them with you guys. It has got chords and riffs and even a ukelele to accompany it, but unfortunately I've no reccording. You'll just have to use your extensive and fruitful imaginations and concoct a tune, I'm afraid.  

ArcticMonkey wrote a review...

Hello, DarkPandemonium,
So I must say I really enjoyed this song because I've thought these thoughts so much but never really knew how to word them. I think that it's really relatable because its really true the ideas you put across in these lyrics. I really like some individual- well done!

Now onto critiques, I think that your wording is a bit boring and obvious and it just doesn't seem that interesting or different. To do this I think you could add some different metaphors to put your ideas across without blaintently saying it.
Also I didn't particularly like the structure as I think it needed some mixing up so it would be a bit different, considering your wording is kind of obvious. I can imagine this being played with music though and other lyrics won't seem as obvious but still, I think when talking about such a well known topic you could change it up a bit.

you say you're 'indie' when you're just the same

I always say this! 'Indie' people think they're different because they're not following the crowd but in fact they are just following another one!

Anyways I hope this review helped. PM me with any questions or if you want anything else reviewed.

-Arc

Panikos says...

Thank you! :)

Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:27 am

Okay! First, I will very quickly give my over all perception of this song. I feel like a sentiment on this topic is better delivered with an "us" in mind rather than an attacking, putting-down sort of view, 'cause if it's done as it's written, it feels like the speaker is just saying, "I am so much better than you, poser~" and doesn't exactly incite feeling in us unless we're specifically tired of people at that moment. It speaks to a deeper sentiment, that of the person under the layers of influence and acting, but the offensive tone doesn't really do it justice.

Anyway, besides that, there are some sentences that aren't quite smooth yet.

1.

This is a hard sentence to use, I think. It was confusing over the first couple of reads. My thought pattern went like this:
"I feel like the correct sentence would be "all that defines to us". You can have a word defined to you. You can define yourself. You can define the word." Eventually I understood the actual structure you were going for, but not right away. You might consider using something clearer?

2.

I don't think that independent is a synonym of different, and thus I don't think this sentence makes sense except for coming from the background of a speaker who thinks these labels define someone as shallow and conforming, when each element of this song actually has a different flavor that's not quite exploited/explored.

3.
Remove that crowd and speak aloud,

I don't understand what this is supposed to mean? Is it about a listening crowd of the public or are you referring to the crowd of other conforming people that supposedly supports the poser? Might work better if you said "your crowd" if you're going for the latter.

Also, I'm sure that the music and stuff could take away any concerns on this, but check your meter, especially stressed syllables. For example, maybe I'm wrong, but I stress YOLO on the first syllable, and to rhyme it with "don't know", you'd have to stress the "don't", where the phrase is normally stressed "don't KNOW", so it throws off that meter.

Okay! Hope this was helpful. Lemme know through PM if you have any comments or questions.

Good luck and keep writing!

Panikos says...

Thanks for the pointers! :D

Why should Caesar just get to stomp around like a giant while the rest of us try not to get smushed under his big feet? Brutus is just as cute as Caesar, right? Brutus is just as smart as Caesar, people totally like Brutus just as much as they like Caesar, and when did it become okay for one person to be the boss of everybody because that's not what Rome is about! We should totally just stab Caesar!
— Gretchen Wieners