Equality

by OwaisKhand

Author's Note: Four years ago my dad helped out an Asian kid who was being attacked by racist bullies and It made me feel upset cause I could almost understand the guy's fear and his pain when I saw him and I wrote this shortly after so I could get out all that I felt about Racial Injustice and did not really have the chance to show anyone this.

I talk like you

I think like you

I hurt like you

I feel like you

But because of the media has to offer

And what newspapers say

You hate me all the way

But do not judge me by my color of of my different culture

We are not selfish or Malign we all just want to keep the world align

For I am only human

Just like you...

Sat Feb 15, 2014 3:11 am
Hadj wrote a review...

Nice poem! :)
I really like the repetition at the beginning!
Personally, I would leave out some of the more specific words, like media, newspaper and culture to leave it more open. It could mean a lot more than racial prejudice, and also I think be a bit more interesting to read.
Also, the rhyme scheme in the second half was kind of confusing. The first rhyme I noticed was Malign and align, but looking back, I see say and way. I'm not sure if offer and culture were meant to rhyme? It could use some more structure.

Anyways, great work, and keep writing!
~Hadj

Sat Feb 15, 2014 1:03 am
Aley wrote a review...

I think for a poem coming from such a personal space, you didn't really venture into the realm of depth that I expected. Being from this culture, where we have segregated, disapproved, beaten, pushed, destroyed and badgered other cultures since our conception, I'd think you'd go a little farther than this hands off approach, especially when you had this deep personal insight. This isn't really a bad poem, but it's not a poem that goes highly in depth with a specific situation. For me, the more direct, and exact a situation is, the more people are going to relate to it and the more you're going to show people that this is something they can feel too, that they can look at and understand. What you have here is a poem that's talking about an issue which is very personal, but it's taken out the person to apply it to everyone, instead of allowing our brains to do that job.

People are always good at relating to one another. Look at news stories, or commercials. We only see people on commercials for a few seconds, but we relate to them or we wouldn't buy the products they're trying to sell and they'd come up with a new way to advertise. To me, starting out with "I think like you" just is telling the audience something that the narrator thinks is true instead of proving it by writing a poem about how the person thinks like someone else. Write about how when they are standing side by side, they both come up with the same answer because they both have a process that gets them to that result.

Now sometimes other cultures do teach thinking differently, like in our culture how some people think in sounds, others think in text, some it's related to smell. There are these different ways to process information, which might not make that statement remain true if you take it down to the basics, but you have to show us that this person isn't different.

I would like you to take another look at this line: "But because of the media has to offer" and see if you see anything strange with the words. I think while you were editing this somewhere, you erased a word you needed and didn't notice it, or you were typing a bit fast and didn't notice the omission. I'll give you a hint about what it is. What do you think? Missing something or did you intend it to be like that?

If you'd like to improve this poem, I would suggest expanding on the lines and filling in content that is directly related to your story.

OwaisKhand says...

Thanks, that was a really helpful insight into how I can make it better I appreciate that

Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:42 pm
RachelLeeAnn wrote a review...

Hello, OwaisKhand!
Happy Olympic Week. :)
RachelLeeAnn here to review!

I liked this piece. I dated a Hispanic guy for a year, so I was always there to hear all the racist comments directed at him. It's hard to bear, sometimes.
I just have a couple corrections. :)

I'm not sure if the lack of punctuation was intentional here. If it wasn't, I've put those corrections in red.

I talk like you.

I think like you.

I hurt like you.

I feel like you.

But because of (all, what, etc.) the media has to offer

and what the newspapers say,

you hate me all the way. <------ I feel this sentence could use improvement. It's a little too short/choppy.

But do not judge me by my color, or of my different culture.

We are not selfish or malign,

we all just want to keep the world aligned.

For I am only human,

Just like you.

Other than the grammatical errors, I think you did well on this. The repetition at the beginning was a very nice touch.
Great subject, well written...
Keep writing! :)

-Rae^^

OwaisKhand says...

Thank you, I will work on my grammatical errors

As a writer, I'm more interested in what people tell themselves happened rather than what actually happened.
— Kazuo Ishiguro