z

Young Writers Society


12+

Memories

by Milanimo


You know something? I think we all exist for a reason. Memories. Without memories we don't exist. I mean think about it. When we think of each other, we think of how the people we know make us smile and laugh, or tense up with anger and hate. Or maybe nostalgia and regret. When we don't think of each other, it's almost like we're not there, not existing. Out of sight, out of mind, right?

Maybe that's why we die. Once someone remembers you, to the point that they can almost visualize you, sitting there in front of them, doing everything they imagine you would, you are no longer needed. Your purpose has been served and the people in your life don't need the physical presence when it's been forever locked into their minds.

Or, maybe they forget. You are no longer apart of their daily routine, their everyday setting. You fade into the back of their minds, cast out for good. They forget you out of existence, until you are gone.

Memories are life.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
6 Reviews


Points: 244
Reviews: 6

Donate
Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:51 pm
MagentaDefined says...



In my opinion, stories aren't the hardest thing to put into words - phrasing your thoughts are. To be able to write something to an extent that an everyday thought we all have becomes something we mull over is a skill. I wouldn't change anything about this passage.




Milanimo says...


Thanks so much! I think about this kind of stuff a lot so I thought I'd write it done!



User avatar
7 Reviews


Points: 571
Reviews: 7

Donate
Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:35 pm
Othersider wrote a review...



Hello....
This really is food for thought. Once, I read it fully, I kinda just sat back and thought about it, and to imagine that almost none of us are living in the present, we are always thinking about the past and planning the future. If I could say one thing though is that maybe you could expand your ideas more fully, I mean that it's short and sweet but i feel that some people might need more to think about. But all in all, it's a really good point of view that you have.
Hope this helps!




Milanimo says...


I LOVE that it made you think! That's always been my main goal as a writer. And you did help! I'm hoping to add more once I think it through. I just wrote it down right before bed.



User avatar
413 Reviews


Points: 11009
Reviews: 413

Donate
Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:17 am
Cailey wrote a review...



Hello! Cailey here with a review.
Although I have to admit I'm not entirely sure how to review this, since other can be anything you want, really.

I think you make a good point here, and the way you word this and point out the importance of memories is really cool and makes me want to go back and think through all of my past memories and try to remember people that I might have forgotten. I like that just reading this short piece gave me a lot to think about.

One suggestion would be to add examples. Maybe include some memories of your own in here to make it even more real, or add a challenge to the reader to look back at some old memories so that they can visualize something as they read.

Also, it might be good to add a "so what?" Why does it matter what memories are and why do we need to be remembered and why do we need to remember? This is just something to think about, it might be good to give some more clear reason as to why you wrote this.

As to the writing itself I don't have anything to comment on, I didn't find mistakes and the writing was smooth and easy to read. Overall, nice job, let me know if you need anything or have any questions or comments!
-Cailey




Milanimo says...


Thank you! Like I said it was a late night thought, so I'm hoping to add to it in a bit, thanks for the tips!



Cailey says...


Oh, I guess I missed that part. So yeah, this was a good way to write down an idea for later.




You must believe in free will; there is no choice.
— Isaac Bashevis Singer