z

Young Writers Society

Sickroom

77 Reviews

Reviews: 77
Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:40 am
View Likes
EmiAnne says...

I was stuck in this itty bitty room with Tarah, my roommate. The very small sickbay room kept either of us from moving so we had gotten closer than I ever thought possible with such a... well, Tarah was so different from me. Originally, she was born in Laos, the current enemy nation. they had declared war on France, America and Canada just when us three countries were weakest... and as every other country was nearly as weak, there was no help.
We were all on our very own.

Three weeks. Had it really been a full twenty-one days since my village was attacked? Since everyone I knew, everyone I loved... died, at the hands of the Laos?

The small sickroom they had placed me is small, seconds slow down and a week is too long to think about. It doesn't help that I don't have a window or anything, but at least I don't have to see the remains of my country, ravaged by the war.My room is only a four-foot ceiling, but at least the beds are regular size, and at least I had a roommate to break the monotony.

"Stop complaining," Tarah grumbled. "Yeah, it's been three weeks, but I've been here for eight."

Did I really say that out loud? "Um, sorry." Tarah rolled her eyes and turned over in her bed, turning towards the shiny chrome walls. Like everything made for the war, the S.S. Darbon was made with such a limited time that the walls, floors and ceiling were made of metal, and everything was so crammed on the infirmary level in the Land cruiser. And it was so small and over-crowded.. we were lucky not to of received a third, not-enough-room-for-her roommate. Two fifteen year olds in a room, both on her period, is quite enough for me.

Tarah suddenly started to cough- it sounded sick and gross. this sound was like she was coughing up things that would have preferred to stay put. Her thin, dark frame shook violently. I rolled out of my bed and crawled to the little hatch-door, ignoring the heavy cast on my left leg.

"Nurse!" I called into the hallway where a few nurses ad doctors leaned casually against the silvery walls making small talk. "Nurse!"

What came walking slowly towards me was one better. A doctor, all dressed up in his white lab coat. "Yes?" He asked quietly. I wondered how he could remain so very calm, so collected when I was so frenzied.

"Tarah... she's coughing," I said, but if he was so close he would obviously hear her. "Can you, um, will she be okay?"

Before he could enter, the doctor had to pull me out of the room. Tarah kept coughing, and he pulled a stethoscope from under his lab coat. "I'll need a nurse," I heard him mumble, and then, "nurse!" He cried. "Nurse!"

Two women in white dresses rushed over. One crawled into the tiny cubicle and the other gently led be to my feet. "Come on, sweetie," she said softly. "Let's go for a walk."

"But..." I murmured, trying to find words. "My friend issick! Can't I stay?"

Her smile was soft and comforting. "Doctor Carter has it under control," she said, just as soft. She lead me through a hall full of rooms like ours. There were lower-level "rooms" like mine and upper-level "rooms," stacked right on top of the others with a few steps for easier access. I guess I had been way too doped on pain meds when they had brought me in all that time ago.

"Oh, um, I'm Stephanie. What's your name?"" She held me shoulders as we went up a ramp. "I'm sorry You've been cooped up in there for so long."

"Um, my name is Bermuda." I paused, thinking over a question, when she opened the door on top of the ramp.

We were led into a hall- a regular hall with people walking around and people laughing and talking. It was loud and crazy. "So," the nurse asked. "Where'd you come from?"

"Tiny village called Garseni. Laos swept through, burned it to the ground."

Her pretty face fell into a worried frown. "I'm sorry, Bermuda. Well, how'd you get hurt?"

I smiled weakly. "I'm a klutz, and I tripped when I was in the woods after they'd left. Nothing cool and heroic, just simple."

She put an arm around my shoulder. "Hey, you want to go outside real quick? Today it's nice and warm with a breeze."

I nodded just as she hit a button next to the doors right head of us. Sunlight poured in. It was blinding, and suddenly I could no longer see. "Bermuda, I got you," Stephanie said as I felt my knees collapsing. All the sun, all the fresh air... it was all to much for me.

When I woke up, Stephanie was shaking my shoulders, trying to wake me. "Bermuda? I need you to get up the steps into your new room... Tarah's been moved and you're getting a new roommate." Her eyes crinkled as she smiled sadly, as if in apology. "Sorry, there's no more room anywhere else."

I forced myself up the four steps, a true struggle to my weakened body, into the upper-level "room" I had now been assigned to.

She patted me on the back, and then walked away. In the dark space, I groped for the light switch. Here it was, and I flipped it.

My breath stopped for a moment. In the bed just a few inches away from mine was a man. He looked ten or so years older than me, but age was relative nowadays. His back was to me, but I could see through his too-small blue t-shirt that he had well defined muscles, the hair on his head a dark brown.

He stirred and turned to me, but did not awaken- and I saw his face. One long red scar ran all the way down his face. The skin around his face was puckered, and even beneath it his face wasn't a thing to behold.

Oh shit. I'm gonna be stuck in here with him? I flipped off the light and curled up in bed, dreaming of being back in a room with Tarah.

Okay the, so feel free to rip it to itty bitty shreds... the more, the easier it is to revise. Oh yeah, and the title is just temporary. :smt003
Last edited by EmiAnne on Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:32 am, edited 4 times in total.
Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow"
-mary anne radmacher

547 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 547
Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:55 am
captain.classy says...

I like this, I'm just not so sure about its obviousness.

The last line... it is too obvious, too blunt. I don't think she should think that he is automatically a love interest. I think it should be a bit more of a mystery. Instead of straight up saying it, maybe you could say it in the next chapter? I don't know... I just don't want to read on because I feel like I can already tell what is going to happen.

I do, however, like your explanations of the setting. The war, the reason the is in the hospital, is just the right amount for this. You don't say too much, and you don't say too little. Great job on that! :)

Keep going with this!

Questions/comments, PM me.

Classy

267 Reviews

Reviews: 267
Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:24 pm
View Likes
Nike says...

It's nice. Just I have a few pointers.
1.) Describe the area the story takes place.
2.) We don't know the MC age at all, or even what year/centiery this takes place.
3.) Describe the MC 'cause I don't know anything about her. She seems like some character that was thrown in.
I love the story, just edit a bit. My books had the same editing, so I'm just helping.
:) I'll read it! I Promise. Can't wait for more parts to this book!

Nike :thud:
“There is no need to call me Sir, Professor.”

77 Reviews

Mon May 31, 2010 4:17 am
View Likes
EmiAnne says...

Yay! thank you everyone for your reviews!
Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow"
-mary anne radmacher

61 Reviews

Reviews: 61
Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:38 pm
View Likes
LittlePetRock says...

Hey there! So, I like kinda the 'Sci-Fi' feel to this story it freshens things up!

The small sickroom they had placed me is small, This doesn't read so smoothly... Try: "The small sickroom they had placed me in is small,"

Hm... I can't really find any mistakes at all.
Here are a few things I'd like to point out, hope you don't take this too offencive:
1: Your MC... Pauses between sentences... too much.
2: So far it's a bit to vague for my tastes, try describing a tiny bit more?

Keep up the good work!
~LPR
Star light; star bright,
It is time to take flight.
Off I go through the dark of night.
All my hopes and dreams in sight.

27 Reviews

Reviews: 27
Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:45 am
NYCnightowl007 says...

Hey there! First off, I really liked this. It caught my attention well, and the subject was very unique and cool. Though I do have a few things maybe you could change:
:arrow: In the first paragraph, I kind of got confused, as you started talking about one thing, then moved onto something else. Though I see that the topics in which you switched back and forth from were vital pieces of information about the plot; things we needed to know to understand the story. So maybe you could break the two thoughts into two paragraphs.
:arrow: There are a few typos, but nothing that bad.
:arrow:
I rolled out of my bed and crawled to the little hatch-door, ignoring the heavy cast on my left leg.
Maybe you could explain to us why she had the cast. Which, I think, would give us the reason of why she's in the hospital in the first place.
:arrow:
"Um, my name is Bermuda, after my mum's best friend."
I don't really think that explaining where the name came from is quite so relevant in this sentence. Maybe you could take it out?
Other than that, it's a really cool story and I'll be sure to read on. Keep writing!

Chrissie
"I’m usually that guy who violently kicks off his shoes at the front door because there’s something about fake wooden kitchen linoleum that appears inviting to the feverish socked footsies." - Adam Young/Owl City

77 Reviews

Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:46 am
View Likes
EmiAnne says...

Hey everyone! Both parts of this have been revised & edited to make them so much better... but still tear the new versions to shreds, please. It helped a whole bunch!
-mary anne radmacher

763 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 763
Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:58 am
View Likes
Lava says...

Hio Emmi!

I was stuck in this itty bitty room with Tarah, my roommate.
Well, I would really like a better start. How about a wee bit of description to kick things off? It should be something that would spark something inside me to want to read more.
The small sickroom they had placed me is small,
Umm, the small sickroom will be small. It becomes redundant here. Think of more adjectives.
both on her period,
I'm pretty sure it has to be each on her period or both on their period.
Oh shit. I'm gonna be stuck in here with him? I flipped off the light and curled up in bed, dreaming of being back in a room with Tarah.
Well, with this sentence, I wish you'd cut it. Keep either the first or the second half.
I do agree with LPR. I would like a itty bit more of description. And maybe show us some more emotions. Also; the end wasn't very good. It was a little boring. You need to make it a bit exciting so that people will want to come back to read more or if you're stopping with this, it's just incomplete. Maybe instead of the new roomie asleep, have him awake. Show us a glimpse of his character. And your MC could do with more development.

Questions/Comments, PM me.

~Lava
~
Pretending in words was too tentative, too vulnerable, too embarrassing to let anyone know.
- Ian McEwan in Atonement

sachi: influencing others since GOD KNOWS WHEN.

I want to understand you, I study your obscure language.
— Alexander Pushkin