White is what I never get from You

2 posts
User avatar
Gender Female
Points 890
Reviews 688
These days, I find myself in cotton robes,
arms stuffed in straight-jacket sweaters,
deodorant lining my untanned skin.
The dust of my porcelain tears stains my pillow white,
and I spend nights circling my imperfections
with a chlorine pen.
You tease the bleached bones I show you,
so I push them underneath the covers and let
you batter beauty into bed sheets,
shamed hands still pinned to my side.

I've never loved a man before
for who I had to turn off all the lights.
Carpe Diem.




User avatar
Gender None specified
Points 890
Reviews 145
Two little things: side should probably be sides, and the last line should read:

for whom I had to turn off all the lights.


As for the poem itself, it's as delicious as it is unmemorable.
"A poet in love is best encouraged in both capacities or neither." ~ Jane Austen, Emma.



Owning our story can be hard but not nearly as difficult as spending our lives running from it. Embracing our vulnerabilities is risky but not nearly as dangerous as giving up on love and belonging and joy—the experiences that make us the most vulnerable. Only when we are brave enough to explore the darkness will we discover the infinite power of our light.
— Brené Brown