z

Young Writers Society

Your Muse.

125 Reviews

Reviews: 125
Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:23 pm
PerforatedxHearts says...

What do you think about using certain stories in a story?

Popular ones include the Tam Lin one, where the girl has to hang onto her 'boyfriend" so he won't be sacrificed, and several other versions of it, too.

And the tales of King Arthur and his knights.

And countless others.

I'm working on a story that includes the Muses, the popular 9-some in Greek mythology responsible for the arts, in short. In what ways would I put a twist on it, since the Muses don't really have that much influence, storywise, in the myths.

Would having male counterparts to the all-female Muses sound interesting, and then placing some of the Muses in a regular high school work?

I'm basing a lot of this stuff off of Fruits Basket, a manga/anime series.

But it's really iffy.

I don't know. What do ya'll think?

440 Reviews

Reviews: 440
Sat Aug 11, 2007 4:01 am
gyrfalcon says...

OOO! I love Furuba, but I'm not sure what you mean by combining that with a Muse idea--do you mean they become a Greek god when hugged? I'd love to help, just need more info.
"In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function...We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful." ~C.S. Lewis

125 Reviews

Reviews: 125
Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:56 am
PerforatedxHearts says...

Okay.

XD

That would actually be pretty funny. The funky helmets and huge staffs and everything.

But no.

Umm..Basically there are 9 girl muses, okay?

And I was thinking that there might be several generations of Muses, you know? Both a boy and a girl Muse (of the same type of muse).

But I read some info on the Muses and the leader, Calliope, had a son that died for some reason that I don't know. And that might be the reason for one boy Muse to die for each generation.

Do ya' get me? XD
"Video games don't affect kids. If Pacman had affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills, and listening to repetitive electronic music." --anonymous/banner.

24 Reviews

Reviews: 24
Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:12 pm
Kelcia says...

The Nine Muses are the embodiment of Art. You can't go chucking them into a normal high school. You could base nine humans sisters on them, and use their names and talents, but goddesses in high school? They were there for all of history, and so probably know more than the teachers did.

The idea of male counterparts is interesting. Although, being female, I am intitled to say that there is a reason the Muses are women.

Orpeus was a son of a muse, (I forget which one,) and inherited the gift of song. So, if there were several generations of half-mortal sons and daughters, all with their mother's talents, It would make for an interesting read.
Mutant Plot Bunnies

Is it just me, or are the plot bunnies taking advantage of my ADD?

OmnomnomRandomPlotDetourOmnomnom

Right.

27 Reviews

Reviews: 27
Sat Dec 05, 2009 1:14 am
Critiq says...

I'm not sure placing anyone in a regular high school would make me interested in a story, but the concept of using the muses is cool. Personally, I'd say there is a reason the muses are female, not only because they are the superior species (I'm a guy, by the way), but because, it, well, makes more sense. Because in those days, it was mostly in the men doing the art, and so the muses became women. Was it not their beauty that inspired the arts? Guy's beauty doesn't, I imagine, inspire anything (you girls, caring about things other than looks). I'm not even sure how a guy muse could work, based on my limited information.

And it seems to me that muses are more important for the artistic concepts they inspired, and not their personality. So I'd probably just keep the muses where they belong, in my head, and not put them into literature.

Also, I totally thought this would be a topic where we described our muse. Me and Haylee are thoroughly disappointed.
Spoiler! :
I like people thinking that I have something so scandalous to say that I put it in spoiler tags, and I'm sorry that because of this selfish desire you were roped into reading this for not real lasting value.

370 Reviews

Reviews: 370
Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:33 am
empressoftheuniverse says...

You could do something with the nine muses and the seven deadly sins, maybe have them be counterparts, the males to their females, or maybe each of the godesses could also have a deadly sin as a vice... but you'd have to repeat yourself with two of them.
I dont know. Just some food for thought. I would say nix the high school idea though; high school is so overrated, its always used as a place to thorw large groups of conflicting people together and see what happens.
Naked I came from my mother's womb, and naked I will depart.
*Le Bible
Royal Reviews Here!

You sound like you're becoming emotionally involved with the custard.
— Nikki Morgan