z

Young Writers Society

Songs Inspiring Plots.

55 Reviews

Reviews: 55
Mon Oct 29, 2007 1:52 am
starrynight89 says...

I just wanted to put this out there: Do you listen to songs while writing? What kind? When you first listen to a song, do you automatically categorize it with a character? Do songs inspire plots?

Whew that was a long list! I listen to songs that I think describe my characters really well...and I have a habit of thinking of a character in my story every time I listen to a song..

basically, let me know what you guys think about songs and writing....:)

:D

53 Reviews

Reviews: 53
Mon Oct 29, 2007 1:59 am
Swirl Antara says...

I listen to:
~Evanescence
~Three Days Grace
~Muse
~Oddly, I like to listen to the music from the play Les Miserables, excellent music there with lots of different moods

I find most songs automatically give off a mood. Some songs (ex. Starlight by Muse) had me thinking of a storyline right away. It depends on the song really.
Just never ever forget to live ok? Never ever forget to be happy when things maybe aren't the greatest. Yeah, that's right- because every moment is making you who you will be and is really worth it in the end. So just....live.

55 Reviews

Mon Oct 29, 2007 4:26 am
starrynight89 says...

Thanks for the reply!

Quick Question: I've been surfing on the net in order to gather information on elves. Are they really cliche? or is it how writer's portray them? Can they be original. I'm so confused :(

74 Reviews

Reviews: 74
Mon Oct 29, 2007 5:22 pm
kshsj777 says...

Sometimes I listen to music when I write. Sometimes I write songs for my stories.

210 Reviews

Reviews: 210
Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:07 pm
Meep says...

starrynight89, yes and yes. Yes, elves can be very cliché if you follow the normal Tolkien-ripoff standard, and they can be done well if you do some research into myths and legends about elves and create something new and interesting based on what you find. :)
✖ I'm sick, you're tired. Let's dance.

241 Reviews

Reviews: 241
Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:17 pm
lyrical_sunshine says...

starrynight89 wrote:
Whew that was a long list! I listen to songs that I think describe my characters really well...and I have a habit of thinking of a character in my story every time I listen to a song..

basically, let me know what you guys think about songs and writing....:)

ooooh! i thought i was the only one who did that! :D

songs for my stories and characters:
Energy by Skillet
Weathered by Creed
The Wait is Over by Disciple

“We’re still here,” he says, his voice cold, his hands shaking. “We know how to be invisible, how to play dead. But at the end of the day, we are still here.” ~Dax

Teacher: "What do we do with adjectives in Spanish?"
S: "We eat them!"

1258 Reviews

Reviews: 1258
Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:29 pm
Sam says...

Put simply, music + writing = awesomeness.

The song "Sukie in the Graveyard" by Belle & Sebastian was the inspiration for my NaNo- it just sort of goes to show that songs are just stories to a catchy beat.
Graffiti is the most passionate form of literature there is.

- Demetri Martin

55 Reviews

Tue Oct 30, 2007 4:51 am
starrynight89 says...

I'm going to play devil's advocate here.

I agree with the fact that songs are great sources of inspiration for plot and character development.

For example, you're listening to a rock song (Faint by linkin park) and writing an action scene. I tend to pick rock songs when I'm writing battle scenes or anything adventurous. However, when I go back and edit my draft I don't get the same intensity and sometimes don't get the same images in my head...so, is it a good thing to listen to songs while writing? ...I hope that made sense! :/ I tried.
“Anyone can give up, it's the easiest thing in the world to do. But to hold it together when everyone else would understand if you fell apart, that's true strength.”

Reviews: 4
Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:16 pm
EERC says...

I always play music while I'm writing, I mostly listen to My Chemical Romance, Evanescence, Linkin Park, The Killers, La Quinta Estacion and Fall Out Boy. Never ever wrote a songfic but sometimes when I'm listening to a song I can imagine a moment or a character from my work.

I don't know, I just like to listen to music while I write. It's an habit, I do it even with my homework. It's pretty relaxing.
Proud Venezuelan.
Harry Potter, Avatar, Death Note, The Legend of Zelda and Sweeney Todd fan.
"There are two infinite things: The Universe and human stupidity"- Albert Einstein

565 Reviews

Reviews: 565
Tue Nov 13, 2007 6:55 pm
Stori says...

Well, I usually don't listen to music when I write. Still, you never know...
"The one thing you can't trade for your heart's desire is your heart."
Miles Vorkosigan

"You can be an author if you learn to paint pictures with words."
Brian Jacques

87 Reviews

Reviews: 87
Tue Nov 13, 2007 8:27 pm
Perra says...

I freaking love music! It helps me concentrate, and I can't stand silence. If the TV's not on or there's not some other source of pleasing sounds I put my music on. It really sucks that I can't play my music while falling asleep during the week because it might bother my roomie. >.<

So, yeah, I play music while I write. It can't be too loud, though, because then it'll spill into my thoughts and I wont know what I'm thinking. And sometimes I get so into what I'm doing that I forget there's music on until my roomie asks me to turn it down or an annoying song comes on.

Music I listen to while writing:
Rock
Metal/Gothic
Alternative or whatever My Chemical Romance and Panic! at the Disco are...
Classical
Celtic
Soundtracks
Random Music I classify as 'kind' or 'soft' because I have no idea what category it actually goes to. XD

Scenes and characters traits have been inspired by music. For one of my stories "Mama" by My Chemical is the theme song and best describes how I try to put the characters through hell. "Down with the Sickness" (by Disturbed) is the name for two of my NaNo chapters, and the song also is helping me imagine one of my NaNo character's storyline. For some songs I just get a montage of my characters and things that happen to them, like "Speeding Cars" by Imogen Heap or "Adiemus" by Adiemus.

Did I mention I loves music! <3! :)
YWS gives me carpal tunnel.

Need a Critique?

Evil lurks everywhere, often in plain sight...Can you lurk in plain sight? Or is that just walking?

189 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 189
Tue Nov 13, 2007 8:33 pm
tinny says...

For nanowrimo all of my major characters had a theme song, something I'd found that I thought fit them.

I have a lot of songs associated with things I'm writing, and they can be quite specific, to the point where I can only really listen to them when I'm writing, else it doesn't feel right.

Sometimes I don't like to listen to music when I write, that's normally when I'm writing by hand as opposed to typing, as my thoughts tend to move at the same speed at the music, and I like my songs to have a fast tempo, so quite often I get left behind XD
please grant me my small wish; (love me to the marrow of my bones)

504 Reviews

Reviews: 504
Tue Nov 13, 2007 8:48 pm
Dream Deep says...

Nearly every character and every plot-line I have ever come up with has been due to influence of music. The most note-worthy instance being that time I tried to write "And Nothing Hurts in Heaven" to Sting's Soul Cages on repeat. That was one crazy Christmas...

GET ON IT PEEPS
— Nate