z

Young Writers Society

Describing your Characters

565 Reviews

Reviews: 565
Sat Sep 22, 2007 1:25 pm
Stori says...

Well, I usually put in your basic description: eye color, hair, etc. I leave the personality to the reader. So, that being my choice, who agrees?
"The one thing you can't trade for your heart's desire is your heart."
Miles Vorkosigan

"You can be an author if you learn to paint pictures with words."
Brian Jacques

25 Reviews

Reviews: 25
Sun Sep 23, 2007 6:24 pm
Polkadots says...

It depends on the character really. I usually sketch out a more solid foundation for a main character's appearance than a lesser character's apperance and I describe personality through their hand gestures, speech, and relation with other perople.
Last edited by Polkadots on Sun Sep 23, 2007 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

816 Reviews

Reviews: 816
Sun Sep 23, 2007 6:31 pm
Leja says...

I'd rather spend my time fleshing out my characters' personalities because that is what I want the reader to identify with, more so than what a character looks like. Lack of character physically won't do as much as lack of character personality-wise to the story. Sometimes it's important to mention physical characteristics, but in general, I have a hard time pinning down characters' physical features, so I tend not to include them as much.

18 Reviews

Reviews: 18
Sun Sep 23, 2007 7:35 pm
winters says...

I try not to info dump my character's looks but rather let the reader fill in what they want the guy to look like. And I portray personality through action and dialogue.
Just a thought.

As I grow older, I pay less attention to what men say. I just watch what they do.
— Andrew Carnegie