z

Young Writers Society

North and South

378 Reviews

Reviews: 378
Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:15 am
sokool15 says...

I'm currently in the process of watching the BBC television show based on the novel "North and South" by Elizabeth Gaskell. I am so greatly enjoying the movie, I thought perhaps I'd buy the novel.

Has anyone read it? Is it worth buying, in your opinion? I don't want to waste money, but I'd be very curious as to how close the movie is to the book. If I enjoyed the movie and it's close to the book, I think I'd like to own the book as well.

So any advice about this would be appreciated, or if you just have thoughts about the movie and/or book that you'd like to share, that's fine too.

Thanks all so much!

Au revoir -
~Madame Kool 8)

P.S. To refresh your memories, it's about a woman named Margaret Hale who moves from a quiet country village to a busy cotton milling town. A romance reluctantly blossoms between Margaret and a certain owner of a mill, and the story is filled with tension between millworkers and the owners, strikes, etc. It's a very good drama. It's hard to explain, but you get the picture. Au revoir again. :wink: ~M-K 8)
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
~Albert Einstein

531 Reviews

Reviews: 531
Sun Sep 09, 2007 10:49 pm
Caligula's Launderette says...

I adore that BBC production of it, and the novel is definitely worth buying in my opinion. It's pretty close to the book if I remember correctly.

:D

Ta,
Cal.
Fraser: Stop stealing the blanket.
[Diefenbaker whines]
Fraser: You're an Arctic Wolf, for God's sake.
(Due South)

Hatter: Do I need a reason to help a pretty girl in a very wet dress? (Alice)

Got YWS?

I like anchovies~ but nobody calls me that.
— alliyah