z

Young Writers Society

Signet Classics: Full of Typos?

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:23 pm
Emerson says...

I've been reading Camille by Alexandre Dumas Fils.

I's published by signet classic, and is riddled with typos! I'm sickened by it. I'm wondering if this is why the signet classics are so cheep, do they not proof read what they are printing?

"So, madame," it is not by remonstrances or by threats, but by entreaties, that I must endeavor to obtain from you a greater sacrifice than you have yet made for my son."

And this is just one of MANY errors I have caught, and that occasionally cause me confusion... Marguerite was spelled with a q instead of a g in one place, and in another they use "then" instead of "than". But there are SO many.

The book only cost $8. Is that why its so cheep? They don't pay anyone to proof read before they print?

It's horrible for a critiquer like me to read it....the sirens and red lights in my brain go wild.
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

820 Reviews

Reviews: 820
Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:08 am
Myth says...

I recently read a horrible book (not a classic) with a lot of typos and such, I couldn't get through it and by the end I had written in the margins and crossed out a few stuff.

By the way 'cheep' = cheap :wink:
.: ₪ :.

'...'

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Fri Jan 26, 2007 12:18 pm
Emerson says...

Ack, Myth! Yes. I spell horrible. I wonder why Mozilla spell check didn't find this? Cheep must be a word too...

I was real tempted to write in the margins, and in fact I underlined that "then", but I might be reselling it so...Can't bloody it up too much.
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

820 Reviews

Reviews: 820
Fri Jan 26, 2007 12:41 pm
Myth says...

Cheep is the high-pitched sound little chicks make :D

Ah, I could have sold mine, now it looks tacky and I doubt anyone will buy it XD
.: ₪ :.

'...'

116 Reviews

Reviews: 116
Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:19 pm
Lilyy03 says...

I've noticed a bit of this sort of thing in Borders Classics too. They cost $5-10... There aren't a whole lot, and they don't bother me terribly.. but I do wonder why the publishers do that. :\

i, too, use desk chairs for harm and harm alone
— Omni