z

Young Writers Society

Police Procedures in a Murder

516 Reviews

Reviews: 516
Sat Mar 01, 2008 1:04 am
chocoholic says...

In my current novel a girl has been murdered, and the police are trying to find out who did it.

Unfortunately, I have no idea how the police deal with murders. I would assume they'd look for fingerprints on a gun (the girl was shot) or any fingerprints around the scene, but after that I'm lost.

Anybody know anything? And perferrably Austrlian police, but I doubt it would be much different in other countries.
*Don't expect to see me around much in the next couple of weeks. School has started again, and it'll be a couple of weeks before I've settled in. If you've asked me for a critique, you will get it, but not for a little while. Sorry*

53 Reviews

Reviews: 53
Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:41 pm
Heidigirl666 says...

Procedure, hmmm...complicated.

Well, as regards to basic ones, completely tape off the area, make an appeal for witnesses if none have come forward (not just people that saw something, but heard something), retracing the victims last movements, questioning people close to them in a lot of detail. If it's not clear if it's a random murder or someone specifically targeted one person, a criminal record check of any one in the area who could have done it, records of any similar murders etc.

As for forensics, yes fingerprints, but also ballistic tests (tests on the firearm, bullet etc, you can tell when it was last fired, stuff like that and compare to other crimes it could have been used in), blood splatter patterns etc, to build up a good picture of how the crime occurred. Some sort of medical examiner needs to pronounce death and can make an estimate at the time of death before autopsy (coroner most likely).

Autopsy, obviously, encorporating everything. Determining the exact cause of death, running tests for drugs etc, examing stomach contents (can help determine time of death if it's not certain as well as tracing last movements.) making detailed records of injuries etc.

That's all I can think of right now.
Everywhere I go I'm asked if I think the university stifles writers. My opinion is that they don't stifle enough of them. There's many a bestseller that could have been prevented by a good teacher. ~Flannery O'Connor

220 Reviews

Reviews: 220
Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:05 pm
Sleeping Valor says...

One acronym: CSI

Google + 'murder investigation' = http://www.essortment.com/all/forensicmurder_rxow.htm

^_^ Good luck!
I'm like that song stuck in your head; I come and I go, but never truly dissapear.

And apparently I also write a blog.

What's stopping you?
— David Mamet