z

Young Writers Society

Not fair

93 Reviews

Reviews: 93
Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:17 pm
Nightlyowl says...

“Sarah, you can’t just walk out of a meeting with Mr. Robertson, what’s he going to think?”

Sarah Webster was a thirty year old lawyer and had been for nearly three years. She was successful and won most, if not all, her cases. She had never been married and she didn’t date.

“I don’t really give a damn what Mr. Robertson thinks, Paul, he’s a sexist pig.” Paul Andrews was thirty – five, he didn’t date, he had one night flings with secretaries and had never been married. “You haven’t been married and work long hours; that makes you committed. I work and have never been married; I’m controlling. You sleep around; you’re considered a player. If I slept around; I’d be considered a slut. You blow up and leave a meeting, you’re passionate. I blow up and leave a meeting, I’m emotional. It isn’t fair Paul, I can’t win.”
Last edited by Nightlyowl on Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
~Nightlyowl

6 Reviews

Reviews: 6
Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:28 pm
OrenEmorson says...

Intersting. Is this going to be part of a longer piece?

Nightlyowl wrote:Sarah Webster was a twenty – eight year old lawyer and had been for nearly three years
By giving her age the reader can figure she hasn't been a lawyer for long. This sentence reads awkwardly as is -- reads as if she has been a 28 year old lawyer for three years. Maybe you could say "Sarah Webster was a twenty-eight year old lawyer with a few years under her belt" or something to that effect.

Interested to see where this tale of inequality goes.

182 Reviews

Reviews: 182
Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:37 pm
View Likes
shiney1 says...

I like this. It shows that even though we have equality by law, there is still separation between genders in classification and expectations (I hope I am making sense XD )

I wish is was a bit longer though.
"If you ever have a problem don't say 'Hey God I have a big problem.' Rather 'Hey Problem... I have a big God and it's all going to be okay."

Random avatar

Reviews: 0
Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:04 pm
Jack443 says...

good story. :)

114 Reviews

Reviews: 114
Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:39 pm
Priceless says...

Hiya,
I wish it was a little longer. Also, I thought there was a little too much telling, in these sentences:

Paul Andrews was thirty – five, he didn’t date, he had one night flings with secretaries and had never been married.

Sarah Webster was a thirty year old lawyer and had been for nearly three years. She was successful and won most, if not all, her cases. She had never been married and she didn’t date.

Maybe if you make the above facts a little obvious through dialogue or whatever, instead of just telling the reader? Otherwise, good, I liked the last line of dialogue. Keep it up! :)
We're all a little weird. And life's a little weird. And when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours, we join up with them and fall in mutual weirdness and call it love.

93 Reviews

Reviews: 93
Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:47 am
Nightlyowl says...

Well though I'd love to make it longer, its for a competition with 150 words or less. So that's all that I was able to do. I hope that explains why its so short. I'm glad you all liked it!
~Nightlyowl

280 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 280
Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:39 pm
joshuapaul says...

Nightlyowl wrote:“Sarah, you can’t just walk out of a meeting with Mr. Robertson, what’s he going to think?”

Sarah Webster had been with the company since she was 27 and after three years she was successful and won most of her cases. She didn’t date.

“I don’t really give a damn what Mr. Robertson thinks, Paul, he’s a sexist pig.” Paul Andrews was thirty – five, he didn’t date, he had one night flings with secretaries and had never been married. “You haven’t been married and work long hours; that makes you committed. I work and have never been married; I’m controlling. You sleep around; you’re considered a player. If I slept around; I’d be considered a slut. You blow up and leave a meeting, you’re passionate. I blow up and leave a meeting, I’m emotional. It isn’t fair Paul, I can’t win.”

I liked this. I made a couple of little changes you might notice just to tweak it. In my opinion it is too literal. The characters don't show us, it is all just dumped on is in the dialogue. But it was a pleasing read nonetheless!
Read my latest

Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example.
— Mark Twain