z

Young Writers Society

Curse of Chalion

239 Reviews

Reviews: 239
Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:32 am
MeadowLark says...

I read Curse of Chalion by Lois McMaster Bujold about a year ago and I thought it was a wonderfully written novel. The characters were so believable and the world Bujold created was wonderful! I was in love with it throughout the whole thing. It had a mixture of humour and romance throughout which mixed perfectly with the fantasy theme.

Here is what it's about from the cover:

A man broken in body and spirit, Cazaril has returned to the noble household he once served as page, and is named, to his great surprise, secretary-tutor to the beautiful, strong-willed sister of the impetuous boy who is next in line to rule. It is as assignment Cazaril dreads, for it must ultimately lead him to the place he most fears: the royal court of Cardegoss, where the powerful enemies who once placed him in chains now occupy lofty positions. but it is more than the traitorous intrigues of villains that threaten Cazaril and the Royesse Iselle here, for a sinister curse hangs like a sword over the entire blighted House of Chalion and all who stand in their circle. And only by employing the darkest, most forbidden of magics can Cazaril hope to protect his royal charge -- an act that will mark the loyal, damaged servant as a tool of the miraculous ... and trap him, flesh and soul, in a maze of demonic paradox, damnation, and death.

So, has anyone else read it?
Purple light in the canyon
that is where I long to be
With my three good companions
just my rifle, pony and me

--- "My Rifle My Pony and Me"

Random avatar

Reviews: 110
Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:49 am
Karsten says...

Bujold is an incredible writer. I enjoyed Curse of Chalion, but my absolute favourite is her military SF series, the Vorkosigan Saga. The protagonist Miles Vorkosigan is so many kinds of awesome, if I had a week to list the ways, I totally would. Mmm, Bujold. :D

239 Reviews

Reviews: 239
Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:11 am
MeadowLark says...

Bujold is a wonderful author! I've only read Curse of Chalion, but I can tell that her other books are good. It's all in the author's writing style ^_^ I'd have to say Cazaril was my favourite character.

I should read that series. Sounds quite interesting.
Purple light in the canyon
that is where I long to be
With my three good companions
just my rifle, pony and me

--- "My Rifle My Pony and Me"

By the sweat of your brow you will eat your food until you return to the ground, since from it you were taken; for dust you are and to dust you will return.
— Genesis 3:19