z

Young Writers Society

Redwall Series

14 Reviews

Reviews: 14
Sat Sep 15, 2007 8:46 pm
Kingdom Carrier says...

Redwall is an amazing series filled with adventure, food, furry heroes, and... more food! The description is cool, but it is a story both for someone with patience and the ability to read for four hours straight after being hooked. So far there are about ... I think nineteen books in the series, and they're all long. So make sure you have lots of time before you start! ( AND FOOD!!! ) :D I think it would be PG, but there is a lot of death, so maybe, quite possibly PG-13. :?

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Sat Sep 15, 2007 8:49 pm
Rydia says...

I second this. I grew up with Redwall and Jaques was my favourite author for a long time. Something like from the age of eight to the age of thirteen, perhaps even another year or two. Pearls of lutra was my favourite book. I loved working out the riddles before they did. But yeah, a great series for any child or early teen and I still like to dealve into them every now and then.
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

210 Reviews

Reviews: 210
Sun Sep 16, 2007 6:10 pm
Meep says...

Kingdom Carrier wrote:So make sure you have lots of time before you start! ( AND FOOD!!! )

God's truth, that is. Those books always make me so, so hungry.

I loved them. My favorites were Mossflower, The Legend of Luke, Martin the Warrior and, of course, Redwall. I really liked The Long Patrol, too. (I've only red up through Triss.) I loved Gonff, even if that is a silly name. (I used the alias Princess of Mousetheives for quite awhile when I was nine-ish.)

I - AM THAT IS, and all that. :D
✖ I'm sick, you're tired. Let's dance.

189 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 189
Sun Sep 16, 2007 6:26 pm
tinny says...

I was really heavily into them when I was a kid, I had all the books until Loamhedge came out. My favourite was Pearls of Lutra, and I loved the hares, Basil Stag was the best one though ^^

I gave my whole collection to my little sister, 'cause I thought she'd really like them, but she didn't bother to read any and took them all to the charity shop. Ah well.
please grant me my small wish; (love me to the marrow of my bones)

76 Reviews

Reviews: 76
Mon Sep 17, 2007 5:20 pm
Shadowsun says...

I used to love all the redwall books! I haven't read them for ages though :( . My favourites would have to be Salamandastron, Long Patrol, Pearls of Lutra and Loamhedge. They were all so great! I can still remember staying up for ages reading them until I finished them... Come to think about it, that was only a couple of years ago.
Before you judge someone, walk a mile in their shoes... Then who cares? You're a mile away and you've got their shoes.

99 Reviews

Reviews: 99
Thu Sep 27, 2007 11:47 pm
alleycat13 says...

REDWALL!!!

Yes! I love this series! I've read like 6 or 7 of them. My favorite would have to be Redwall and Mossflower.

Yeah, they always make me hungry. I wish I could eat that good all the time.

The only thing I don't like about this series is that they all follow the same pattern. You have your reluctant/chosen hero, the funny friend, the loyal fighters, the wise Abby leader, the evil villain... Sometimes it gets almost predictable, but I think Jacques does a good job of giving each book something new. And all the characters are so enchanting.

Favorite character anyone?
Calvin : You can't just turn on creativity like a faucet. You have to be in the right mood.
Hobbes : What mood is that?
Calvin : Last-minute panic.

Got YWS?

25 Reviews

Reviews: 25
Fri Sep 28, 2007 5:52 pm
Frederick101 says...

Brian Jacques is AWESOME. The books make me hungry to, especially there drinks (like October Ale, that makes me thirsty!!). You should also read his flying dutchman series. They got pirates, gold, cannons, the flying dutchman (of course), everything!
"Your Mother Was a Hamster! And Your Father Smelled of Elderberries!" ~~French Soldier, Monty Python and The Holy Grail.

14 Reviews

Sun Sep 30, 2007 1:47 pm
Kingdom Carrier says...

I love Redwall, but I don't really agree with this:

Something like from the age of eight to the age of thirteen, perhaps even another year or two.

The Redwall series should keep readers intrigued for ages to come, from the time you can read till the day you die. Well, that is a little drastic. :roll:

I have read through the entire series, except for maybe the last three books, but it has been a while. I just found a nearby library that has all the books in the series but the Legend of Luke. I'm starting over, and I'm just now halfway through Mossflower. I love the animated cover of Martin the Warrior! My all-time favorite character would have to be Matthias, although I love his son's name, Mattimeo.

I HATE HOW LATEROSE DIES IN MARTIN THE WARRIOR! I CRIED FOR A WEEK!! :smt093 :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
Jake

565 Reviews

Reviews: 565
Sun Sep 30, 2007 1:51 pm
Stori says...

I like it too. I just heard that there's a new book called Eulaia coming out.

So, I love Mattimeo, Triss and Loamhedge. The idea of going through so much for a friend is great.
"The one thing you can't trade for your heart's desire is your heart."
Miles Vorkosigan

"You can be an author if you learn to paint pictures with words."
Brian Jacques

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Sun Sep 30, 2007 1:58 pm
Rydia says...

Lol. That was just how long he was my favourite author Kingdom, not what ages his books interest. I still read them now, I just have other favourites.

And I think Triss is the best character.
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

62 Reviews

Reviews: 62
Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:23 pm
jonny911 says...

The Redwall books are awesome, but they require a lot of time to read thuroughly. My favorites are Mossflower, Long Patrol, And Martin the Warrior. I haven't read any in a while. Anyone have information on that new book? I might get it, if it sounds interesting.
"Son, what do you want to be when you grow up?"
"A felon!"
"Are you sure?"
"Yah! This kid at school says they get all the girls!"
"I should try that..."

14 Reviews

Fri Oct 05, 2007 5:10 pm
Kingdom Carrier says...

I just got finished reading Martin the Warrior today. I wonder why they never give the vermin a chance to stay with them...

Anywho, I'm starting Outcast of Redwall today, because the library I go to doesn't own the fourth of the series. What is the fourth, again?

BTW, I apologize, kitty15. I misunderstood you. :oops:

Oh well. The game goes on. 8)

"Eulaliaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!"
Jake

758 Reviews

Reviews: 758
Sat Oct 06, 2007 12:52 am
Cade says...

I adored Redwall when I was nine or so...I kind of stopped reading the books after about age eleven.

I, too, felt that they all sort of followed the same plotline after a while. The characters don't vary that much from book to book.

I like some of Jacques's other stuff, though. Castaways of the Flying Dutchman and Seven Strange and Ghostly Tales were decent.
"My pet, I've been to the devil, and he's a very dull fellow. I won't go there again, even for you..."

'They are afraid of nothing,' I grumbled, watching their approach through the window. 'Together, they would brave Satan and all his legions.'
— Emily Bronte, Wuthering Heights