z

Young Writers Society

Ahem.. Ahem.. Roald Dahl is here!!

What do you think about Roald Dahl as a wrtiter?

Wonderful
51%
Good
29%
Naaa......
10%
I don't know him
10%

Total votes : 41

50 Reviews

Reviews: 50
Sat Feb 24, 2007 10:11 am
TellATaleForTwo says...

I AM UTTERLY AMAZED AND SHOCKED THAT ONLY ONE SOUL ON THIS BOARD HAS MENTIONED THE BFG! SHAME ON YOU! SHAME ON YOU ALL! THE BFG ROCKED MY SOX IN 1ST GRADE! I STILL OWN IT! LOL
"Theoretically, if you go to the past in the future, then your future lies in the past. This is a picture of you in the future - in the past."

~Kate and Leopold

Reviews: 2
Sun Feb 25, 2007 11:13 pm
dittylicious says...

TellATale, I LOOOVE The BFG! That book is so great!

I'm not really sure what my favorite Roald Dahl book is, since I read so many, but I'd have to say that Matilda is way up there. This last summer, I read the entire thing in two hours, and it's just so funny and clever and dark. His writing reminds me of Grimm's fairy tales, back in the days when fantasy was supposed to teach children a lesson.

Every once in a while, I like taking the time out to read a little bit of Roald Dahl if I can, just because I think his writing was so fantastic and partially wasted on young readers.

Max McCali, I noticed you mentioned Revolting Rhymes! Those are so great! It's like taking Grimm's fairy tales even a step further. They remind me a little of the Stinky Cheese Man, if anyone has ever read those...

...anyways, awesome topic! Roald Dahl is an amazing author!
~*~Ditty~*~

"When we choose between reality and madness/It's either sadness or euphoria." -Billy Joel

http://dittylicious.blogspot.com

Random avatar

Reviews: 156
Sun Feb 25, 2007 11:17 pm
McMourning says...

Hello!
I read it a few years ago, but only because my cousin had gone to college. See, my Aunt was cleaning out his closet, and came across a bunch of novels, this just happened to be one of them.
"One voice can be stronger than a thousand voices, " Captain Kathryn Janeway

368 Reviews

Reviews: 368
Tue Mar 27, 2007 7:11 pm
Shine says...

TellATALE WROTE:I AM UTTERLY AMAZED AND SHOCKED THAT ONLY ONE SOUL ON THIS BOARD HAS MENTIONED THE BFG! SHAME ON YOU! SHAME ON YOU ALL! THE BFG ROCKED MY SOX IN 1ST GRADE! I STILL OWN IT! LOL

Yeah how can we forget about BFG. :shock:

dittylicious wrote:...anyways, awesome topic! Roald Dahl is an amazing author!

I know this is an awesome topic. :wink:

McMourning wrote:Hello!
I read it a few years ago, but only because my cousin had gone to college. See, my Aunt was cleaning out his closet, and came across a bunch of novels, this just happened to be one of them.

My dear your Aunt has done a good job. :)
"A good plot is like a dream.If you dont write down your dream on paper the moment you wake up,the chances are you'll forget it and it'll be gone forever"-Roald Dalh.

411 Reviews

Reviews: 411
Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:16 am
Sohini says...

tHe Bfg is definately my cuppa tea. where else do you come across whizzpoppers *nasty grin*. i've read almost all his children's books and i loved his autobiographies—Boy Days of Childhood and Going Solo. James and the giant Peach was his first children's book and it's great too. and Mr. Wonka's amazing.

about his adult stories they are mind blowing, dark but Mind blowing. did anyone read "Genisis and Catastrophe"? now if i listed my favourite stories i'd be boring you.

QUESTION: is there anyone lucky enough to have read "The Gremlins"?
Calvin : You can't just turn on creativity like a faucet. You have to be in the right mood.
Hobbes : What mood is that?
Calvin : Last-minute panic.

368 Reviews

Reviews: 368
Sun Apr 29, 2007 4:01 am
Shine says...

Nah didn't read 'The gremlins'.
"A good plot is like a dream.If you dont write down your dream on paper the moment you wake up,the chances are you'll forget it and it'll be gone forever"-Roald Dalh.

Democracy! Bah! When I hear that word I reach for my feather Boa!
— Allen Ginsburg