z

Young Writers Society

By Ellen Hopkins-Crank, Burned, & Impulse

694 Reviews

Reviews: 694
Wed Mar 14, 2007 4:02 am
Via says...

I LOVE Ellen Hopkins books! I have no idea why, but I do. Possibly because none of them have happy endings--so when you reach the last page and suddenly the storyline ends you are completely blown away with a, "huh? that's the end? hmm.." And I have to say, I love the verse writing and her language use is amazing.

I'm currently halfway through her newest release, Impulse, so I was tempted to post this review of the three right now.

Has anyone else read these 600+ page books? What do you all think of them?
My Literary and Arts Blog

"I think I'd miss you even if we'd never met." -The Wedding Date

514 Reviews

Reviews: 514
Fri Mar 30, 2007 11:45 pm
JC says...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE (cant say it enough) LOVE, Burned. I want to read crank, but the library "lost" it. yeah...I don't know what it is about it, but it captured me...maybe it was Ethan, because my best friend's name is Ethan, he read it after me and loved it just as much. Which is weird because of the slight girlyness of it all. Anyways, we're both waiting for me to buy Crank, and now Impulse so we can read them. Its awesome-sauce.
But that is not the question. Why we are here, that is the question. And we are blessed in this, that we happen to know the answer. Yes, in this immense confusion one thing alone is clear. We are waiting for Godot to come. -Beckett

514 Reviews

Tue Apr 10, 2007 5:37 pm
JC says...

hehe, I got Impule-and read it- all yesterday. Now Ethan's reading it. =) was amazaling!
But that is not the question. Why we are here, that is the question. And we are blessed in this, that we happen to know the answer. Yes, in this immense confusion one thing alone is clear. We are waiting for Godot to come. -Beckett

694 Reviews

Reviews: 694
Tue Apr 10, 2007 5:45 pm
Via says...

i know!! My best friend and I went and bought it last month, we went to the book store specifically for that, went back to the section for it, saw one copy of it.....in someone else's hand. We stood there and hovered for awhile until she set it down and picked up a different one of hopkins books and then someone said something to her from the other direction and she turned her head that way. We grabbed the book and took off lol.

Addicted at it's best.
My Literary and Arts Blog

"I think I'd miss you even if we'd never met." -The Wedding Date

514 Reviews

Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:36 pm
JC says...

lis. True true. I still havent read crank though, and I'm still waiting for the bookstore to order it...the library "lost" their copy, though I'm willing to bet somebody just liked it a whole lot. =)

1258 Reviews

Reviews: 1258
Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:16 pm
Sam says...

I had mixed feelings about Burned- yeah, some of the poems were really good, but it focused too much on 'Dad is a bad guy' and 'I should be able to sleep around if I really want to'. In a word, the author was pretty much parading around with her controversial issue and didn't focus on the story a whole lot.

...and besides, the cowhand guy? Ethan? Yeah. Saw that coming. :P

Not saying it was bad, though- quite an enjoyable, if dark, 500 pages.
Graffiti is the most passionate form of literature there is.

- Demetri Martin

You cannot understand and disagree.
— P. D. Ouspensky