Confessions of a Learner Driver

3 posts
User avatar
Gender Female
Points 1104
Reviews 47
There are so many confessions. I am unsure of where to begin.

L plates hold many different meanings for many different people. Fellow road users, I have found, seem to think that L stands for ‘please overtake me and scare me to death’. I discovered this during my very first lesson. I was overjoyed when, on the thirtieth of June this year, I was presented with my set. I placed them on my mother’s car (which, incidentally, is blue, a little overlarge for my purposes, and has a pillar which blocks all view of the road when turning right) with utmost pride. Now, as time has progressed and frustrations have developed, as my L plates are no longer a topic of conversation among friends, family and neighbours, I have come to regard them with a kind of vehemence.

During my very first lesson, I think I may have sweat through the driver’s seat. It was twenty nine degrees in a still air and I suffered the kind of nerves which must come before a bungee jump. I feared for my life. During the lesson itself, such concentration is demanded that fear seems to diminish but certainly, by twelve o’ clock, I was not a pretty sight.

Yet I drove all the same! I drove for the first time in my life in third gear along the main road. I followed the line of the kerb to turn left and I MSMPSLed until I barely had to be told.

And then we stopped at the side of the road and I stalled. And then I stalled three more times because the handbrake was surprisingly stiff. I stopped opposite a junction, and I’m pretty sure that I clipped a wheelie bin in my haste to find a new place to park.

Since then, there have been visible improvements in my driving. Right hand turns (in wonderful L shapes) are no longer daunting to me. Neither are country roads, provided that there are no tractors, farm animals, pedestrians, cyclists, or following vehicles. Provided I can drive as slowly as I want, there is little reason to panic.

I have taken seven lessons, spaced out by approximately ten days each. I cannot afford to have them weekly and I cannot function with a fortnight between calm sessions of advice from my wonderful instructor. During lesson number six, I conquered the dual carriageway and the centre of Aberdeen. I cruised in long queues of traffic, I judged for myself when to drive off at a roundabout, and I did it all without stalling or rolling backwards on a hill start.

Confession, though, that my confidence in my driving prowess will often outstrip both my ability and my common sense. Every ten days, I have to be yelled at to stop at a junction or a roundabout. I seem blind, sometimes, to other cars and their signals, most especially in the rain, or when they are silver. I have only had a horn sounded at me once. The experience, though, was mortifying. I advise any learners, present or future, to avoid such an eventuality by being prepared to stop at all times.

And so, for now, I appear to have reached an ending. I still coast around corners. When my mother forces me to bay park against my will, I shout at her in my humiliation and hold grudges for seventy two hours. I don’t get my speed up between gear changes. I overtake recklessly and I haven’t yet practiced the use of reverse gear. I have a tendency to go from fourth to third instead of fourth to fifth and I have inflicted some damage on the front near side hubcap. I still don’t know what most of the buttons do. I recently careered through a roundabout in fourth gear. More confessions, I am sure, are to come.



To all learners who might read this, or to anyone out there who has a story to tell about the antics of learner brothers and sisters, I think we need more confessions. Please, please, please leave a comment here about your first experiences behind the scary steering wheel. If we can’t laugh about it together, what’s the point? :wink:
"I want my journey to be full of laughter"

Final Fantasy X




Random avatar
Gender Female
Points 890
Reviews 13
Your advice is well taken by this fellow learner. lol
I really like your style of writing, by the way. It's amusing, to say the least.

Having such little driving experience, I only have one small confession.
This past summer, while visiting relatives, my mother brought me out to practice in a library parking lot (while it was closed and no one was there, of course). After stopping at a friend's house and waiting two hours while my mother and grandmother yakked I was I bit irritable. So when I finally got to drive I might have gone a little bit fast (15 MPH!). My grandmother clutched the back of my seat like she was going to have a heartattack, muttering God's name in vain or some nonsense. Now I know why Mom never lets her ride in the front seat while she's driving. :P




User avatar
Gender Female
Points 890
Reviews 21
Your style reminds me very much of Dave Eggers or David Sedaris, in the witty aspect. I really liked the way you wrote it! Sadly, though, I am not a driver- I am a fifteen-year-old living in New York, so I can't give you a confession to add to your collection. Sorry!



When your heart gets pierced with arrows, don't rip them out and pierce those around you in retribution for your hurt. You'll only unnecessarily wound others and bleed to death yourself.
— LadyMysterio