z

Young Writers Society

Meteor explodes over Russia injuring Hundreds

411 Reviews

Reviews: 411
Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:56 pm
BenFranks says...

Woah...

Videos from 9.23am local time show how a meteor, reportedly weighing around ten tonnes and not registered by astronomers until its impact, exploded above the Urals in Russia.

Over 1,100 people have been injured in the aftershock, mainly from broken glass. The aftershock has also caused damage to buildings and, in some cases, caused mobile networks to be disrupted.

People observed as the meteor exploded in a ball of flame, whitening out a CCTV camera momentarily and rumbling the earth below. It has even been recorded as far afield as here in the United Kingdom, according to Channel 4 News.

Speaking to The Guardian, Galina Zaglumyonova, a resident, said, “I didn’t understand what was going on, there was a big explosion and then a series of little explosions … our first thought was that it was a plane crash.”

Watch the video/Read more

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:29 pm
View Likes
Rydia says...

That's crazy. I'm torn between wanting to say that the footage is really cool and that it's an awful event. But I think your 'woah' covered it very well.
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

206 Reviews

Reviews: 206
Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:23 am
View Likes
LadyPurple says...

I watched some of the videos and in one there are people walking and as soon as it's over they're just walking along as if it never happened. They didn't even stop while it was happening. 0.o
You're new? Great seas! Why haven't you gone to the Buddy System yet?

You're dealing with writers. The words "normal" and "usual occurrence" do not compute.
~Rosey Unicorn

411 Reviews

Reviews: 411
Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:47 am
BenFranks says...

That's crazy!

The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity.
— Amelia Earhart