z

Young Writers Society

When Characters Take Control

35 Reviews

Reviews: 35
Sat Nov 08, 2008 5:31 pm
The Cheshire Cat says...

It happens it all good writers.

You're minding your own business, making head-way on your lovely story, when suddenly you get the feeling you've just lost control. Before you know it, your characters have taken over, and the story is no longer in your hands.

Tell us about when and if this has happened to you. The weirder the better >:D

I'll start. So, I was originally going to have my main character, Gregory, go on his quest alone. But then he ran into this girl....my conversation with her went as follows...

*Girl pops into consciousness*

Me:....who're you?
Girl: Violet. :D
Me:....oookay....
Violet: I'm a main character. *smile*
Me: Er, no you're not. Gregory is the only main character.
Violet: Yes I am. I go with Gregory, and I play a very important part in the story.
Me: .....
Violet: :D
Me: Okay, I'll roll with it!
James Bond: Do you expect me to talk?
Goldfinger: No Mister Bond, I expect you to die!

273 Reviews

Reviews: 273
Sat Nov 08, 2008 6:35 pm
View Likes
Lost_in_dreamland says...

yip! happens all the time :) x
for what are we without words and stories?

200 Reviews

Reviews: 200
Sat Nov 08, 2008 8:02 pm
View Likes
MidnightVampire says...

Uh yeah... that happened to me. Two of my characters decided to be gay and fall in love with each other.
Bad, character, bad!
But good characters, because that'll add a few scenes. Which means more word count.
I realized that I said I'd be gone for only two weeks...but I was gone for much longer.I hope to stay on this time. :)

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Sat Nov 08, 2008 8:51 pm
Rydia says...

My characters have run away from me several times. Mike and Dee decided that they were living together previous to the beginning of the story, Angie and her family decided to be completely the opposite of what I had in mind (I was thinking close family working on a low-ish budget, the sort who eat chicken nuggets and have cosy family dinners. Instead they're reasonably well off, the father is never home in time for dinner, the uncle has fled the country on business and the children are orderly, well behaved and they eat proper meals.)

Then there was the whole bumping into Candice at the park, much too early in the story...
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

111 Reviews

Reviews: 111
Sat Nov 08, 2008 11:01 pm
Gladius says...

I had a random incident with a bunch of high school teenagers getting into a huge brawl after one of the combatants was throw to the ground, and my MGuyC ended up stopping it. O.O Then for some reason, I have my MGirlC realizing she's fallen in love a lot faster than she's supposed to... *glares at Amelia* Guess that's what happens when you write in first person... :P

And this is just in my NaNo! xD
When Heroes fall and the Sacred Blade is captured, can Evil be stopped?~The Wings of Darkness

I'm also ZeldaMoogle on Fanfiction.net!

"Funny is a formula for which there are a million variables, and it is impossible to backtrack unless, possibly, you make a living out of it."~Rosey Unicorn

135 Reviews

Reviews: 135
Sun Nov 09, 2008 7:21 am
niccy_v says...

Can't say i've had an actual conversation with a character *looks at you crazy load of people strangely* but my characters frequently wander off and do their own thing.
For example in one story i wrote, which i later abandoned, the main character Kaine decided to wander into the woods with his best friend, then he shoots his best friend to eat him when he runs out of food. Just lovely. :smt021
Writing gives my life purpose

10 Reviews

Reviews: 10
Tue Nov 11, 2008 5:55 am
View Likes
The-Phantoms-Thorne says...

Yeah... Armand just rocked up during Hyde's version of the Dies Irae as a total surprise. I now have a narcissistic killer on my hands who wants to train Edward. Brilliant.

Althabert was meant to be thrown overboard in Chapter One, but has somehow managed to ingratiate himself with Jekyll and is now his manservant. Potentially problematic.

And Celeste isn't HALF as nasty as I need her to be. I think she might genuinely love Hyde. God knows why. XD
~@ Hyde's Classic Lines @~
“I must say, I enjoy a bit of carnage in the evening.”
“Well, this is the oddest angle I've seen London at, I must confess.”

108 Reviews

Reviews: 108
Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:14 pm
KailaMarie says...

I was thinking that the main love interest in my story would be really quiet at first, but he's not... at all really. And the MC's dad invited him to live with them wayyy to early, because he's too nice, and when he found out the guy was living in his car he invited him to live with them. He couldn't help it.

Another character hasn't been in the story as much as I'd planned at all because she's running off with her new boyfriend so much.

I like when that happens though, because the characters know what they're talking about.
... :D ...
[url]spottedturtle.tumblr.com[/url]

922 Reviews

Reviews: 922
Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:22 am
View Likes
GryphonFledgling says...

*oogles Thorne's problems* I so want to read your novel...

Meh, my main characters are being relatively well-behaved. However, my throw-away characters are taking on a life of their own. Two characters that I wrote on the spur of the moment simply because I needed a body to do something are slowly sneaking their way into the story.

Leon, who was just supposed to be a nameless gladiator, has come in as quite the lady's man in just one scene. Now he demands to come in again later and muck things up with Red and Quina.

Same with the herbwitch, who is actually nameless, who I mentioned once, then decided to put a snippet of her POV in which I discovered that she actually has rather strong attractions towards Red. O.O Now I'm undergoing strenuous negotiations regarding her making another appearance, perhaps to weird Red out.

So yeah, my main characters are (surprisingly) doing what I am telling them to do. It is the background characters who are throwing off my chain of command and trying to elbow their way into the front.

*sigh*

~GryphonFledgling
I am reminded of the babe by you.

566 Reviews

Reviews: 566
Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:42 am
miyaviloves says...

I was working with three main characters, and one who was just there to kind of fill the space, how the stoy basically revolves aorund him as I basically fell in love with him and here is nothing that I can do about it!

Oh well, those characters that take over certainly do boost the word count ;)

Meevs
x
Bag.

Got YWS?

10 Reviews

Reviews: 10
Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:26 am
The-Phantoms-Thorne says...

*grins at GryphonFledgling* Well, that CAN be arranged... providing you don't mind the action swinging wildly and pendulum-like between violence and impropriety. This IS Edward Hyde we're dealing with... who unwittingly has started calling himself 'The Wolf' to Celeste's 'Little Red'.

I keep screaming at her 'Get out before Armand realises that you love him!' but I don't think this will end happily for anyone. Well, maybe for Jekyll... provided he can work out his father's great, big, dark secret... XD

P.S I did post chapter one on the NaNoboards here somewhere... :D Part two may have to be rewritten. I'm not quite happy with it.

Oooh, a big yay for Lady Bernadette! She's 1800s Dawn French! Woo hoo! :D
~@ Hyde's Classic Lines @~
“I must say, I enjoy a bit of carnage in the evening.”
“Well, this is the oddest angle I've seen London at, I must confess.”

Chickens are honestly little dinosaurs. And they know it.
— ChieRynn