z

Young Writers Society

Into a world beyond imagination...

253 Reviews

Reviews: 253
Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:45 pm
CK Lynn says...

Okay, here are the rules

1) You may write for any character in the cast, as long as you don't kill them off without the original author's consent.

2) No characters that are "gods". Please, one character can't do everything.

3) The setting is a magical land. This means the character does see New York City or places we usually hear about.

4) This is fantasy. That means no time machines. No spaceships. No aliens. If you like sci-fi, or realistic fiction, etc., please find another storybook.

5) NO ENDINGS!!! Please, don't end the story until there's no where else to go. (And I'll notify people)

6) No dream sequences. It's okay if the character has a nightmare or prophecy, or something, but don't go off on a grand adventure and then say "And it was all just a dream."

7) I CAN add rules at any time. Read them EVERY time you're going to add something.

8) Please no modern aspects. Elves don't have cell phones, dawarves don't watch TV. The magical land, is basically in the Bronze age.

9) Any entry that does not follow the rules should be PM-ed to me. If I don't think it follows these guidelines, IT AND ANY ENTRIES AFTER IT WILL BE DELETED!!!

10) No editing others entries. If you do it twice, I will block you from this story. People want what they've written left alone.

11) Please include a descriptan of any new characters you make up.

12) Please don't write more than 700 words per entry.

13) Please write third-person.

14) Please don't introduce more than 3 main -type characters and 4 supporting characters at a time.

Nan had almost finished cleaning out her room. It wasn't even her junk!! This creaky old attic in this creaky old house her parents bought was already stuffed to the rafters with history. Finally! She had reached the back wall. Wait... was that a doorknob? The air suddenly seemed to chill as Nan reached for the round brass knob.

57 Reviews

Reviews: 57
Fri Mar 16, 2007 7:05 pm
Goldenheart says...

It turned noisily, with the sound of grating rust. The door did not open. She twisted the knob the other way and pushed hard, jamming her shoulder into the faded paint and smashing her weight against it. The door only mocked her, still closed.

Hmph. She backed off and shrugged. It probably didn't matter anyway. It was most likely a heater closet, or a place for musty raincoats. She stood watching it for a minute, rubbing her shoulder.
'Forget it.'
Turning around and beginning to stump toward the stairs, (She'd earned a break, after all,) her fingers touched the knob once more.

The hinges shrieked open. She whirled around.

As far as Nan could tell, it was an empty closet. A beetle tumbled over the threshold and landed on his back, buzzing feebly and kicking like an upset turtle. Nan crept forward cautiously, feeling a puzzling breeze on her face. One foot stepped inside the closet. Her fingers searched the rumpled wall-paper, groping blindly for a light switch. The darkness was dense, smelling of old wood and dead moths. Her other foot stepped inside. She swept her hand in an arc before her as she shuffled forward. Maybe there was a chain hanging from the ceiling...
SMASH!
Nan froze.
'Oh darn.' She breathed.
"I hate the word 'Truce'. It means 'Fun's over'." ~My little sister

43 Reviews

Reviews: 43
Sun Mar 18, 2007 3:39 pm
Thriving Fire says...

The door slammed shut and the darkness became complete. Nan could hear a click from the other side of the door. It was locked.
Panicking, Nan groped around frantically, but all she could feel were the walls, so grey and dusty beneath her fingertips. She stopped to listen for something outside but there was only silence. Locked in a dark, silent room. Brilliant.
Nan would have screamed if she was that type of woman. But she wasn't; she was old and tough and strong. Feeling the wooden door with her hands, she slammed her shoulder against it, just as she had done when trying to open it. It wouldn't budge. She tryed again.
A flash of purple light, a thundering crash, and the door glided breezily open.
Nan took a step outside, relieved.
But her relief didn't last.
I have an idea about these voices I hear
They're audible to everyone
Everyone but me

57 Reviews

Sun Mar 18, 2007 5:51 pm
Goldenheart says...

A damp rush of salty wind pushed against her jacket and sent it flapping. She clawed her hair away from her eyes, and blinked. They stung badly. The door pushed itself shut and shoved her from the room, clipping her heel and tearing her sneaker. She found herself on her knees, on a wide beach of soggy, sucking sand, and dark angry water, plunging and crashing, up and down, up and down.
".......Oh."
Nan thought she might be sick. She scrambled to her feet, clutching her stomach and stumbling back to the door.

What do you know. Locked. No amount of banging or prying would jar it loose. Still, she tried.

57 Reviews

Sun Mar 18, 2007 6:06 pm
Goldenheart says...

Name: Biffle
Other: Something between a dwarf and a gnome. Nobody knows.

A damp rush of salty wind pushed against Nan's jacket and sent it flapping. She clawed her hair away from her eyes, and blinked. They stung badly. The door pushed itself shut against the wind and shoved her from the room, clipping her heel and tearing her sneaker.

She found herself on her knees, on a wide beach of soggy, sucking sand, and dark angry water, plunging and crashing, up and down, up and down.
".......Oh."
Nan thought she might be sick. She scrambled to her feet, clutching her stomach and stumbling back to the door.
What do you know. Locked. No amount of banging or prying would jar it loose. Still, she tried.

"Dearie me, do you mean to do that all day?"
Nan slumped wearily against the door. She'd been pushing nearly ten minutes already.
"What?"
"Do you mean to do that all day? Doesn't seem to be working."
The speaker was sitting upon a rock, cocking his head and twiddling his thumbs. He was a small person, with a tangle of white beard and a cheerful snap to his eyes. "Seems to me you need a battering ram. There's a lovely large tree summat 'round here, I'm sure it would make a simply marvelous ram. You look as though you want very much inside that door. Where does it lead to? Is it a restroom? Or a goldmine? Or the secret entrance to a dragon's den? If it is a dragon's den, move aside, I want to go first!" He leaped from his rock and pattered across the sand to stand beside her.

43 Reviews

Sun Mar 25, 2007 12:17 am
Thriving Fire says...

Nan just stood there, in her slumped position against the door, her jaw dropped to somewhere beneath her chin.
'Close your mouth, you'll catch a Glitterybug' the creature said, 'Nasty creatures, them. I caught one once. Had me puking my guts up for a week.' The little man jumped off his rock and bounced over to Nan.
'Biffle's the name' he said, holding his hand out to be shaken. But Nan didn't take it. She was too shaken herself.
'What is this place?' she stammered, 'and what in the world are you?'
'Hmph' Biffle grunted, 'Typical human. You offer them friendliness and all you get is 'What are you?' You humans are way too prejudiced for your own good. Beggars can't be choosers, you know.'
On any other day, Nan would have been amused by Biffle. But not today. After all, here she was, seemingly miles away from home, with no easy way of getting back. Nan dragged herself away from the door and began to walk along the beach.
'That's right, walk away!' Biffle shouted, 'You'll soon be begging me to help you!'
Nan ignored him and kept walking.

An hour later, and darkness was closing in deceptively fast...
Nan stood beside the sea, chilled to her very bones, with tears running down her weatherbeaten face. Very few things had reduced Nan to such a mess over her long life. It seemed Biffle was right.
Another sandy gust swept the beach, and she shivered.
At that moment, a growl came from nowhere. Nan turned around and gulped. Any other woman would have screamed.
Yep, Biffle was right.
Everyone but me

43 Reviews

Sun Apr 01, 2007 4:30 pm
Thriving Fire says...

Not to sound like I'm 'bumping' this (whatever that means), but can I please see some replies to this story. It was going well and I'm beginning to care about the characters.
NOTE: To all you smart-arses, I'm not posting anything because I'm waiting for someone to show some sort of interest.
Thanks.
Everyone but me

57 Reviews

Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:16 pm
Goldenheart says...

Sorry, T.F. I thought more people would post on this story, so I thought I'd let them have a turn before hogging the story... it seems I was wrong.
I'm afraid I don't have time to post another piece right now, but I'll do it as soon as I possibly can!

Thanks.

Goldie

253 Reviews

Reviews: 253
Sun Jul 29, 2007 7:47 pm
CK Lynn says...

Name: Nlyssa
age unknown
other: evil, slightly mad, relative of a dragon

Nan stared into the darkness, her face wet from the salty spray and her own tears. Each rock looked like a serpent, waiting to strike.
Something growled again. A shape moved in the midnight shadows.
"Hummmansssss are so weak. They sssnap like toothpicksss and there's hardly enough meat on them for a sssnack. Their ssskulls are lovely when added to my collllllection, though."
A huge figure rose up. It was a blood red and glod serpent, with a look in its eye that Nan could not misstake for anything but bloodlust.

The most important service rendered by the press and the magazines is that of educating people to approach printed matter with distrust.
— Samuel Butler