z

Young Writers Society

The Major Arcana DT

117 Reviews

Reviews: 117
Mon May 27, 2013 6:38 am
crossroads says...

@niteowl ~ From what I see in her profile, Selena and Jaime could work quite well together (he desperately misses someone to point at the good sides of the world <.< ) If they've had contacted in the past, and how much, I leave up to you - but even if he stopped by at LA at some point, he'd leave before even considering discussing magic and Arcana and the past and all that.

I have an exam today, but I'll be home in the afternoon and evening, so I shall post then c:
• previously ChildOfNowhere
- they/them -
literary fantasy with a fairytale flavour

50 Reviews

Reviews: 50
Mon May 27, 2013 6:45 am
KingLucifer says...

Well bad news, holidays, my mom and me are home from work and school respectively. And she is home tomorrow as well where I go back to school, I will try to have a post up when I'm at school or the day after when I get home from school.
An angel, a knight, a man who will bring light to where there is only darkness, I am the Morning Star, the Bringer of Light, hail to me as I am King Lucifer!

Formerly: Avalon

324 Reviews

Reviews: 324
Mon May 27, 2013 9:19 am
View Likes
Threnody says...

Hello good people of Major Arcana. I would like to enlist your help. So far, we have established a few names and powers for some Arcana, but others still need their info. Any ideas would be great, and will be integrated into this post in the future, thanks! And let me know if I'm missing stuff.

Spoiler! :
The Collective:
Death: Goes by simply Death, the most feared Arcana, with a permanent place in the minds of all humans. Although, in reality, he is more about transition and transformation. He transitions souls from life to the afterlife. He can transform the state of people as well. Decomposition was his idea. So was turning the Lovers into stone. He's really only all powerful when paired with complimentary Arcana.

Judgement: His name is Israfil. He judges souls and he can sort of condemn people to be seen as bad (or good) no matter what they do. He fathered the Karma system, allowing humans to direct their own fate, and resist the influence of other Arcana in their lives, based on their good and bad deeds. He is a check to the power of many of those Arcana who would direct the fate of humans, preferring that humans decide their own fate. However, it is when humans fall in the grey area when they are able to be controlled.

The Hanged Man: Known as Caspar, he is the check to Death's and the Devil's power. He is a symbol of resurrection and can return one to their original state. He can give peace to troubled (crazy) people and bring people back from the dead. But they're often not the same when they come back. It's not a perfect system, lots of kinks.

The Devil: Another fellow whose image has persevered through history. He has many names, but we'll use the Devil, and is responsible for inspiring hate and ignorance, making humans do terrible things to each other. He can make people go crazy through voices in their head...etc. The check to his power is the Hierophant.

The Fool: His name is Kesil. He is a pathological liar with a silver tongue. His lies, no matter how ridiculous, can often pass as truth. How else do you think the Trojan Horse was so successful?

The Emperor: His name is Cepheus. He is a balance to the Empress and the reason the Magician isn't quite as open with his own relationship with the Empress. He controls the more destructive forces of nature, being tornado, forest fire...etc. Also, he acts as a buffer for other people's powers, neutralizing them for at time. He's also super sneaky in that he can shape shift, but not without retaining one key feature, like his bright violet eyes.

The Hermit: His name is Absolon. His ability is to conjure up doubt in the people he encounters.

Incapacitated:
The Lovers: Sophia and Rico. These two are so inseparable that they are one unit. They amplify emotions, romantic and otherwise and can alter alliances. They were turned to stone to imprison them after they attempted to dissolve the Collective.

The Tower: A fortress in which the Arcana based themselves. Sort of a Mt. Olympus deal, but it moves around depending on where it is directed to be. It's allegiance lies with the strongest alliance of Arcana.

The Empress: Her name is Cielle. She is a guardian of nature. Without her, nature becomes chaotic instead of harmonious. Currently she's captured by the Collective at the bottom of the ocean.

The Hierophant: Her name is Vidya. She inspires logic, reasoning, and understanding. She is a whiz with technology of any era and also very good at understanding how systems work. She's super intelligent. She sees the Major Arcana as being a logic puzzle and understands how each member fits into the balance. If she weren't ironically trapped in a labyrinth she would be of major help to the last 7. However, the labyrinth won't hold her forever.

The Chariot: A pretty awesome mode of transportation. It could also be time traveling machine.That's all I've really thought of for now.

Fortune: Her name is Fortuna. She's blind, She has the power, if she wants to, to be able to change one's destiny or fate. She can only do that, however by going into someone's mind, and the High Priestess is the only one who can do it in a way for her to use her power. She is always the one to think of any plan or anything, because opportunities are right up her alleyway.

The World: It's name is Asha and it is an androgenous, gender-neutral person who facilitates the cycles in the world. Asha can assist in completing all cycles as well as strengthens the bond between humans and the earth. The Emperor is the check to Asha's power. And as you can tell by freak hurricanes and global warming, Asha is indisposed, floating endlessly in orbit around the earth because without thrust in space, you go with the flow. There's irony for you.

The Sun: Her name is Aurora. She controls fire and light. She was the one who made the oh so wise decision to give humans fire. She can give inanimate objects a temporary "spark," life. Also makes people focus on practical and realistic things and allowing them to enjoy what is rather than focus on the past or worry about the future.
Last edited by Threnody on Mon May 27, 2013 4:47 pm, edited 8 times in total.
“One sees clearly only with the heart. Anything essential is invisible to the eyes”
~ The Little Prince~

378 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 378
Mon May 27, 2013 9:29 am
Omni says...

Fortuna, as a way to become the perfect weapon with Junon, is the Arcana capable of seeing Destinies, Fate. She has the power, if she wants to, to be able to change one's destiny or fate. She can only do that, however by going into someone's mind, and Junon is the only one who can do it in a way for her to use her power.

Other than that, she is always the one to think of any plan or anything, because opportunities are right up her alleyway.

The wiki page is very helpful whenever trying to think up of intuitive powers.

Also, we should basically have an Arcana who is "super-effective" against another and "not very effective" against one, if you'll pardon my Pokémon reference.

@Threnody, you forgot to put an actual power to the Devil, unless inspiring hate and ignorance (Could be actual pets? Just a thought) is the only thing he can do?
This account proudly supports lgbtq* rights.

sass levels loading

[he/him]

324 Reviews

Mon May 27, 2013 9:38 am
Threnody says...

This should totally become like... a real game. :D

Anyway, you're right, I need to deal with the Devil. I really don't know though...help!

Also, I think that some effectiveness levels are self-explanatory but it might be good to clarify. Although, we could just figure it out along the way. I mean, it would be better to pre-determine it, but that won't be possible until we've got a better idea of the full range of powers.
“One sees clearly only with the heart. Anything essential is invisible to the eyes”
~ The Little Prince~

117 Reviews

Mon May 27, 2013 9:43 am
crossroads says...

Um, I think Moon isn't incapacitated ^^

..I hate getting ideas when I'm on phone and not home <.<

I'm having pretty clear picture of Sun and rather formed thoughts of the Emperor and Hanged Man..sort of. But don't listen to me, go on and think of it all do I have something to read when I get home xP
- they/them -

324 Reviews

Mon May 27, 2013 10:05 am
View Likes
Threnody says...

@AriaAdams - Just seeing if you're paying attention. :smt002 But not really...sadly.
~ The Little Prince~

117 Reviews

Mon May 27, 2013 11:36 am
crossroads says...

Oh, wow. I know I literally said to do it, but I admit I didn't actually expect to see it all so well thought of as I got home xD

Nonetheless, I've typed up some stuff in the bus on my way, so I figured to show you what I came up with anyway :p if I may c:

~Sun
Her name is Aurora, as we know. She has curly hair in between of golden and red/ginger, and big, light blue eyes. Her appearance change as the day passes - in the dawns, she wakes up as a little girl, and grows older as hours go by. Then she goes to sleep (she usually went to her room early, because she never liked Jaime or anyone seeing her as old) and the cycle starts again. When she's scared or hurt, though, she also looks like a little girl, regardless of the time of the day. In the nights, if she happens to be awake, her powers are reduced to minimum, so much that she almost doesn't have them.
She has power to give "life" (making any inanimate object move/become alive, and she can control and talk to plants and shadows (because in my book, there aren't shadows without the sun). She can also fulfill wishes, but within the limits and never more than once in eleven years for every person.
It's up to you if your characters have used that - Jaime has. Also, every wish comes with consequences Aurora can't predict.

A side note, Jaime and her didn't love each other, not in the way Oliver and Cielle did/do. He's protective towards her and they trust each other, but they're more siblings than lovers.

~Emperor
He could go by many names - in my mind, he tends to occasionally act human, taking positions of power. Last time Jaime met him, he was called Alexander VI, the Pope ("born" Rodrigo Borgia).
He likes to take the lead, and to show he's stronger than someone else. He will respect his enemies, though (since it means you lived to become one).
I was thinking, perhaps even as the addition to the forces of nature, that he could have the power to physically control anyone, and to suppress other people's powers. He could also change his appearance, but he's always male and in 25-50 age range.

I was thinking maybe he could also be into Cielle and hence think Oliver stole her or something..? Ehm, that part seems to already be covered.

~Hanged Man
For some reason, I imagine that he quite enjoys playing games, though every now and then he becomes creepily serious.
In the way I imagined him, he has the power to make people feel desperate enough to end their own lives (or should that be Death's thing?), and he can switch two people's powers (talents for mortals) - on request for a price, and at his will otherwise, and it eventually wears off by itself.

Also I had an idea for the Devil. He could be able to bring the worst in a man, making him act so, and also make them see people reversed (enemies as friends and vice versa)..? Though now I figure it's pretty much what you've said already x.x

As I said, just thoughts from a bus (it was a ride filled with plot bunnies, I'm afraid), do with them whatever you wish but I felt like sharing anyway x3
Last edited by crossroads on Mon May 27, 2013 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- they/them -

378 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 378
Mon May 27, 2013 1:04 pm
View Likes
Omni says...

XD Aria you should have seen the hour-long conversation Threnody and I had. It was weird.
This account proudly supports lgbtq* rights.

sass levels loading

[he/him]

117 Reviews

Mon May 27, 2013 1:28 pm
crossroads says...

I certainly wish I have seen it, yes. I adore long weird conversations, especially SB-related ones.
- they/them -

1275 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1275
Mon May 27, 2013 2:30 pm
View Likes
niteowl says...

Okay so my thoughts on these guys:

The World: Gaius/Gaia. A genderfluid being. Can take a person's "works in progress" and help them get completed (come full circle). He/she also works to strengthen the connections between people and societies (sometimes peaceful, sometimes not so peaceful). He was captured in 1914 and has since been used for nefarious things. He's likely now trapped somewhere in the World Wide Web. Gaius and Serena have been lovers in the past, but it was rocky (sorry, I'm not above a bad pun :P)

As for the Lovers, I had them in my profile as captured at Woodstock (I supposed stone would be appropriate then :P). Do you want me to change that? I had a pretty good backstory in mind with Jimi Hendrix possessed by the Devil. :twisted: Ooh, maybe Woodstock was supposed to be a trap? Since we knew Jimi/The Devil (and maybe other members of the Collective) would come? Any thoughts?

I also just came up with an idea for Judgment. Obviously he judges souls after they die, but what about before they die? He can sort of condemn people to be seen as bad (or good) no matter what they do. For example, if you stole cookies from the cookie jar when you were 5, he could condemn you based on that to be always regarded as bad, even if you grew up to save children from burning buildings or something. Or you'd be regarded as a hero, but you'd still feel like you were somehow the bad guy.

Another idea for the Sun. Since the Moon brings people into the subconscious/dream world, maybe she could do the opposite. Like bring people into "the now", making them focus on practical and realistic things and allowing them to enjoy what is rather than focus on the past or worry about the future.

@AriaAdams, yeah I think something could happen there. I'd say possibly more on and off meetings, maybe they had brief "romantic encounters" if he's down for that kind of stuff (Selena totally is. She never committed to Gaius or anyone else.). But nothing ever stuck because she always started talking about getting the other Arcana back together.
"You do ill if you praise, but worse if you censure, what you do not understand." Leonardo Da Vinci

<YWS><R1>

117 Reviews

Mon May 27, 2013 2:46 pm
crossroads says...

..please let's have Jimi Hendrix possessed by the Devil. XD

Ehm. Yes, Jaime would be into "romantic encounters", and also into fleeing the country after them xP
Do tell, though, is she Serena or Selena? Even you write it differently from time to time <_<

Also. I need a person (or two) who'd actually get Jaime to stay with them, since he wouldn't be into joining any kind of group to fight the Collective. I do know how he'd be convinced, but I didn't want to make it be said by a random character without asking you guys first.
- they/them -

1275 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1275
Mon May 27, 2013 2:49 pm
niteowl says...

Oh jeez, yeah I meant it to be Selena, as in the Greek moon goddess. Perhaps I'll go edit that. Also I might be up for attempting to convince Jaime since they have some history.
"You do ill if you praise, but worse if you censure, what you do not understand." Leonardo Da Vinci

<YWS><R1>

324 Reviews

Mon May 27, 2013 3:56 pm
Threnody says...

Great stuff people! I will update the original post soon to give you guys a fancy little reference post.

And I like the Woodstock thing, keep it!
~ The Little Prince~

324 Reviews

Mon May 27, 2013 4:41 pm
Threnody says...

Ok, the guide post (whoa, what did I do there? :shock: ) is updated using information I've gleaned from all of your ideas. Great work people, I really appreciate it!
~ The Little Prince~

When you cut pieces out of the truth to avoid looking like a fool, you end up looking like a moron instead.
— Robin Hobb