Young Writers Society

New story just started writing dont know what you think

Random avatar

Reviews: 4
Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:46 pm
Sharpe says...

Chapter 1
Awakening

Huron moaned as his brother shaedl shook him.
‘wake brother father has returned’ said shaedl huran shook his brother away and pulled off his warm quilt to let the elements take control of him again. he slowly climbed out of bed stretching his legs and back as he did every morning. he pulled on his tunic and trousers and got ready for another day at the mill. He grabbed his belt and strapped it on to his waist pulled a dagger from the door and sheathed it then chucked it into his pocket. If it were not for this trusty little dagger he would have died many a time. Shaedl grunted as huran grabbed his bow and arrows. Shaedl didn’t like fighting he liked to imagine the wars weren’t going on and that people weren’t dyeing in cladveer but they were for over 4 years now the rebel warders and the empire had been fighting thousands dead millions wounded and no were safe.
He believed in the empire to protect him strange beasts lurked outside the empire shadveir and mornglas and the worst of all undead. Huran did not know what a shadveir or a mornglas looked like but he had heard brief descriptions from people in the larger city’s about attacks on the smaller villages like graystone yard and castle view hamlet. But he just believed they were tales sung about by bards and troubadours. the shadveir were told that they were like wolf men fury all over but wielded weapons and shields and wore armour they were fowl creatures they could tear a village apart in a matter of minutes. over 8 foot tall some said but he doubted this greatly as he had only ever seen humans and small timid tame creatures like deer or mountain goat, nothing rare and aggressive.

He tightened his bow string round him and then set off for work he bumped into his friend eldra and said hello but kept walking, he jumped over the style and past a herd of mountain cattle they were strange creatures as small as a sheep but with large black horns and sharp little fangs that hung out from their furry lips. One came over to see him but it just sniffed him and pulled an old bit of bread from his jacket.
He always had a thought that the mountain cattle may be slightly more intelligent than humans gave them respect for.
Every month several of them would disappear and the later that week large flying creatures were thought to have been sawn no body would of guessed as these flying creatures had sleek green scales and no wool on them but still every once in a while people would see one fly low over head and catch a glimpse of a little piece of wool in between their scales some people thought they killed their cattle some people thought they were friends with their cattle and just wanted to help search for their friends but some like huran thought that the cattle were secretly evolving into these shining beasts, magical and mysterious as it were huran thought nothing more of it until he glimpsed one fly over head and drop something in the woods ahead.

He only caught a glimpse of a shining green circle fall from the flying beast but he was sure it was something important . as he saw scorch marks were the object had landed he put on an extra burst of speed to get there before anyone else
When he arrived the small rounded stone was cracked in several places. He did now know what it was and picked it up in awe he searched the object for any holes or opening but nothing.
Every once in a while the egg would shake and a bit of the green coating would crumble off and leave a strange smelling dust on the surface it was kept upon. The dust was some sort of magic huran believed as it would mysteriously disappear and then reappear in a different place in his sack but still nothing seemed un usual about it so he put his sack on his back and headed back to the road towards the mill.
Once he was back on the road he heard a terrible noise one louder and more high pitched than he had ever heard. A loud crack stopped the screech . I best everyone in cladveer would have heard that thought huran to himself. Then strangely but suddenly his pack started moving he took the pack off and looked inside their lay a little baby creature half broken out of its egg ( the strange stone)
It nibbled hurans nose as he stared eye to eye with this ugly looking creature. It made a loud burp and then crawled back inside its egg. Huran stared in amazement at this strange THING. What was it he thought to himself? Then it struck him! This must be one of those flying creatures babies. He put his pack back on his back and slowly walked along the road thinking about this strange creature. How would I care for it? How would I feed it? How would I let the others know. Then its annoying screech split his thoughts in half as it screamed as loud as it could into the air.2 huge flying beasts swooped down out of the clouds and landed on the ground in front of him he glared at them awe struck at their beauty and grace. They bowed their heads low and spoke. He couldn’t believe it these creatures could speak??
The beast said ‘greetings earth liver what be that screeching we here from you? Oh sorry great….err?
We are the husglaz we come from a strange desert far from here. Were the water is pure and the people are not corrupt like your earthlings. I am sorry for my husbands rudeness said the other husglaz as it stepped forward we were sent to find you by are master hrothger he is a great and noble king
He is an earthling like yourself but erm how do you say it?... much shorter he comes from under the earth were people are short with big beards and lots of hair. Funny creatures they are. Said the other husglaz. You have been recruited to join a secret army conspiring against the empire. But why? Said huran. The empire have done great things and have helped people live in happiness and harmony why would you want to over throw them? Yes earthling but they have also done very bad deeds in their life time they currently hold hrothgers princess and have been torturing her for information about are secret organisation and location.
Some of the information she did not know in the first place. but she will be hung drawn and quartered in 9 days unless an earthling can charge in and save her. She did not trust any of are kind as some of them are standing guard of her prison sell and doesn’t wish to be drawn into a trap.

Sorry if tis rubbish im only 13 and its my very first peice i had a dream and this is the amount i ahve written up soo far please tell me if i should write on or not?

Random avatar

Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:47 pm
Sharpe says...

Whups i put 13 on my peice i meant 15 my keyboard is old and dont work great

19 Reviews

Reviews: 19
Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:17 pm
Soul of the Phantom says...

There's a lot of spelling mistakes, even my untrained eye can see, let me see if I can help.

Seems like you have trouble capitalizing your characters names, which confusion's me on what's an object, and what's a person.

Also these ' should be these ".

Please double space when you are starting to write a new paragraph, it's easier to read then a block of text.

Also the story seems rushed, and uneventful.

Maybe describe the world around the character more. And keep things that don't need to be in the story, like him meeting his friends, out, it just distracts from the main story.

Also please don't post two topics of the same story just to get attention, your story will get reviewed don't worry.

Second link

-Phantom
Lost Odyssey, Xbox 360:
Jansen: "What? We gotta cross the mountain? Your kidding there isn't even a road!"
Seth: "Your in trouble if you wear out this easily..."
Jansen: "WELL I DON'T WEAR OUT IN BED!"

79 Reviews

Reviews: 79
Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:39 pm
Cpt. Smurf says...

Hi, and welcome to YWS! There's no need to apologise, you're here to improve!

The general plot of this was promising, but it needs to be edited a huge amount before you continue to the next part. So, I think I'd better start at, well, the beginning!

I'll tell you now, so I won't need to repeat, that you need more paragraphs (also, as indents don't show up here, it's better if you put a space between each paragraph). This will make it much easier to read, and will make it more appealing. Huge chunks of text are very off-putting.

You started in the middle of something happening, immediately pulling us into the story. Good. However, you need a capital letter for 'Shaedl'. Instead of using ' for speech, use ". Actually, I suggest you write your stories in MS Word, use the spell check there (I find it's more thorough), copy and paste the piece onto here, use the spell check, again, on here, just in case, and you'll find there will be far less grammatical errors.

I'm not going to correct everything, or I will just be repeating myself. Remember, though, to put a new line whenever someone different speaks. I think the fact that you don't do this is largely responsible for your big blocks of text. Also, break up your sentences. You try to fit far too many things into one sentence, and it ends up sounding bad. Speak what you're writing aloud to yourself, as you write it, and if you find yourself pausing at some point, use a comma. Same thing goes for a stop.

You seem to have a problem with capitals, but all you need to remember is this: if it is the name of a place, or a person (or green flying creature - anything with a personality, basically), it needs a capital letter.

With thoughts, I tend to use ' although you could use italics if you want.

The plot behind this is good, but it does need editing. Your biggest faults are not using paragraphs, and not breaking up your sentences. If you edit all these out, this will really be quite good. I'll be back to see how you've improved, and maybe add a few more comments on different things.

Once you've made the necessary changes, definitely you should continue. You write to improve, and you improve to write! You should also read as many books as you can, especially fiction if you're writing in that genre - the more you read the better you'll be able to write.

I'll be back soon to check out the improvements. If you're having any trouble, feel free to PM me, I'll be happy to help.

Keep writing,

Kaz
Last edited by Cpt. Smurf on Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There's always been a lot of tension between Lois and me, and it's not so much that I want to kill her, it's just, I want her to not be alive anymore.

~Stewie Griffin

38 Reviews

Reviews: 38
Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:46 pm
blackwings_angel says...

I quickly skimmed over this, I had to get off momentarily, but i noticed there was hardly any punctation marks. You might want to find some way to weave the pronecation of your caharcters names into the book. Shaedl could be pronounced a lot of different ways.
Glory is like a circle in the water, Which never ceaseth to enlarge itself, Till by broad spreading it disperses to naught. -William Shakespeare

join my Storybook, now would be a great time for a new character to come in. :wink:

113 Reviews

Reviews: 113
Wed Jan 10, 2007 4:31 am
writergirl007 says...

First of all I want to say tremendous effort. It takes a lot of courage to post something. A lot of spelling mistakes. Break up your paragraphs, use capitalization and punctuation, and make sure you show who is talking in someone. Quotation marks are what are normally used. Divide this up into paragraphs. All of this has already been said. I think it's good. The story made need a little refining. Read back through it and see if you can take out anything that is unnecessary or change things that don't sound right. I can't give you more specifics because I don't quite remember where, but there was a couple clarification issues. It's good. Just work on it. Writergirl
"It is better to save than to destroy, and that justice is most righteous which is tempered by mercy." Mark Twain

52 Reviews

Reviews: 52
Wed Jan 10, 2007 4:55 am
lulu_lizzrd says...

you need to remember to capitalize at the beggining of sentances and naems of towns and villages etc. you also haev a couple of places where you need to add in commas or words. Bu tit looks really good, i couldn't read all of it, but so far it looks good!

Sharpe wrote:Chapter 1
Awakening

:arrow: Dont forget to capitalize he :arrow: he slowly climbed out of bed stretching his legs and back as he did every morning.

:arrow: capitalize he:arrow: he pulled on his tunic and trousers and got ready for another day at the mill.
Shaedl didn’t like fighting he liked to imagine the wars weren’t going on and that people weren’t dyeing in :arrow: Cladveer should be capitalized :arrow: cladveer but they were for over 4 years now the rebel warders and the empire had been fighting :arrow: you should say something like there were thousands dead or some thing to not make it sound over powering btu still dramatic :arrow: thousands dead :arrow: it needs a comma :arrow: millions wounded and :arrow: none not no :arrow: no were safe.
He believed in the empire to protect him :arrow: commma, you need to say that the beast were there try saying "for" or something else or else just a comma for the best part :arrow: strange beasts lurked outside the empire :arrow: you need a nouther comma or something before you naem the creatures :arrow: shadveir and mornglas and the worst of all undead. Huran did not know what a shadveir or a mornglas looked like but he had heard brief descriptions from people in the larger city’s about attacks on the smaller villages like :arrow: you need to capitalize the villages names :arrow: graystone yard and castle view hamlet. But he just believed they were tales sung about by bards and troubadours. :arrow: capitalize The :arrow: the shadveir were told that they were like wolf men fury all over but wielded weapons and shields and wore armour :arrow: you need a comma :arrow: they were fowl creatures they could tear a village apart in a matter of minutes. :arrow: capitalize :arrow: over 8 :arrow: feet :arrow: foot tall some said :arrow: comma :arrow: but he doubted this greatly as he had only :arrow: you dont need the ever, it sounds kind of strange when you say it :arrow: ever seen humans and small timid tame creatures like deer or mountain goat, nothing rare and aggressive.

He tightened his bow string round him and then set off for work he bumped into his friend eldra and said hello but kept walking, he jumped over the style and past a herd of mountain cattle they were strange creatures as small as a sheep but with large black horns and sharp little fangs that hung out from their furry lips. One came over to see him but it just sniffed him and pulled an old bit of bread from his jacket.
He always had a thought that the mountain cattle may be slightly more intelligent than humans gave them respect for.
Every month several of them would disappear and the later that week large flying creatures were thought to have been sawn no body would of guessed as these flying creatures had sleek green scales and no wool on them but still every once in a while people would see one fly low over head and catch a glimpse of a little piece of wool in between their scales some people thought they killed their cattle some people thought they were friends with their cattle and just wanted to help search for their friends but some like huran thought that the cattle were secretly evolving into these shining beasts, magical and mysterious as it were huran thought nothing more of it until he glimpsed one fly over head and drop something in the woods ahead.

He only caught a glimpse of a shining green circle fall from the flying beast but he was sure it was something important . as he saw scorch marks were the object had landed he put on an extra burst of speed to get there before anyone else
When he arrived the small rounded stone was cracked in several places. He did now know what it was and picked it up in awe he searched the object for any holes or opening but nothing.
Every once in a while the egg would shake and a bit of the green coating would crumble off and leave a strange smelling dust on the surface it was kept upon. The dust was some sort of magic huran believed as it would mysteriously disappear and then reappear in a different place in his sack but still nothing seemed un usual about it so he put his sack on his back and headed back to the road towards the mill.
Once he was back on the road he heard a terrible noise one louder and more high pitched than he had ever heard. A loud crack stopped the screech . I best everyone in cladveer would have heard that thought huran to himself. Then strangely but suddenly his pack started moving he took the pack off and looked inside their lay a little baby creature half broken out of its egg ( the strange stone)
It nibbled hurans nose as he stared eye to eye with this ugly looking creature. It made a loud burp and then crawled back inside its egg. Huran stared in amazement at this strange THING. What was it he thought to himself? Then it struck him! This must be one of those flying creatures babies. He put his pack back on his back and slowly walked along the road thinking about this strange creature. How would I care for it? How would I feed it? How would I let the others know. Then its annoying screech split his thoughts in half as it screamed as loud as it could into the air.2 huge flying beasts swooped down out of the clouds and landed on the ground in front of him he glared at them awe struck at their beauty and grace. They bowed their heads low and spoke. He couldn’t believe it these creatures could speak??
The beast said ‘greetings earth liver what be that screeching we here from you? Oh sorry great….err?
We are the husglaz we come from a strange desert far from here. Were the water is pure and the people are not corrupt like your earthlings. I am sorry for my husbands rudeness said the other husglaz as it stepped forward we were sent to find you by are master hrothger he is a great and noble king
He is an earthling like yourself but erm how do you say it?... much shorter he comes from under the earth were people are short with big beards and lots of hair. Funny creatures they are. Said the other husglaz. You have been recruited to join a secret army conspiring against the empire. But why? Said huran. The empire have done great things and have helped people live in happiness and harmony why would you want to over throw them? Yes earthling but they have also done very bad deeds in their life time they currently hold hrothgers princess and have been torturing her for information about are secret organisation and location.
Some of the information she did not know in the first place. but she will be hung drawn and quartered in 9 days unless an earthling can charge in and save her. She did not trust any of are kind as some of them are standing guard of her prison sell and doesn’t wish to be drawn into a trap.

Sorry if tis rubbish im only 13 and its my very first peice i had a dream and this is the amount i ahve written up soo far please tell me if i should write on or not?

614 Reviews

Reviews: 614
Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:15 pm
Swires says...

Ok - I could go through and correct all the mistakes. But, this would be pointless, read this aloud and change what doesnt sound right when you are speaking.

Also - read more fiction from other authors in order to know how to structure and style your piece.
Previously known as "Phorcys"
Witherwings Harry Potter RPG

Random avatar

Mon Jan 15, 2007 1:47 pm
Sharpe says...

well thanks everybody ill hop too doing everything should be done in a couple of weeks cya then

571 Reviews

Reviews: 571
Tue Jan 16, 2007 4:56 pm
Esmé says...

Just wanted to say that I'm thirteen, too! =) A question though, why do have 15 on your age? =)

However, I am not going to write a critique for you. At least, not till you correct the more obvious mistakes. PM me then if you want a critique =) Right now I'm going to spare myself a headache and not read this.

-elein

P.S. And so do not apologize for you being thirteen please ^_^

52 Reviews

Reviews: 52
Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:02 am
ELven-Maiden says...

It seems too rushed. i don't understand anyting that's going on. i don't know when someones talking, whos talking, and what they are trying to say., when you make it a bit more clear, i'll come back a crit.
Give me time, i'll crit your work XD I promise.
GO HORACE!
I have some IA on Venus, but I don't know how long it'll last. my com's getting crushed.
"Show me a sane man and I will cure him for you."~Carl Jung, psychologist and psychiatrist.

Wicked people never have time for reading. It's one of the reasons for their wickedness.
— Lemony Snicket