z

Young Writers Society

Gettin a writer's name

200 Reviews

Reviews: 200
Fri Feb 29, 2008 5:49 pm
MidnightVampire says...

My friend and I decided that if we chose a pen-name then we would sorta recreate our name, by using the letters of our name. Especially since my name is sorta boring.
I realized that I said I'd be gone for only two weeks...but I was gone for much longer.I hope to stay on this time. :)

370 Reviews

Reviews: 370
Fri Feb 29, 2008 6:11 pm
Aedomir says...

Opiniions are always welcome, thanks. I might do that, my surname is really boring for a writer, or at least, one that has intentions of getting somewhere. lol.
We are all Sociopaths: The Prologue

Sociopath: So • ci • o • path noun
1. Someone who believes their behaviour is right.
2. Human.

19 Reviews

Reviews: 19
Fri Feb 29, 2008 6:26 pm
Autumn says...

M.A. Crawford sounds good =D

If I ever get published, I would probably use my first name, seconded with my mum's maiden name
But there's still tomorrow
Forget the sorrow
And I can be on the last train home

5 Reviews

Reviews: 5
Sun Mar 02, 2008 2:37 pm
Brackynn says...

I like the idea of using the formula of first two initials, then surname ... but I happen to have rather unfortunate initials. In fact, I try to avoid letting people find out what they are at all costs. Even if I made my surname my mother's maiden name, they're still stupid initials.

Note to future parents: please make sure that your children's initials do not spell out anything ridiculous to save them from (a) teasing in the playground and (b) the agony of trying to pick a different format for their name should they ever choose to publish something.

Eh. If I ever get something published, I'll probably just use my first and last name. How boring. If I did want to get a bit creative, I might consider swapping my real surname (which is so run-of-the-mill and deadly boring) to my mother's maiden name, which is much more interesting ... but it's German and nobody knows how to pronounce it. Besides, the "real" pronunciation sounds a bit ... iffy in English, so the family have come up with an alternative pronunciation to avoid death by embarrassment. Just to add to the confusion.

It seems I was born into a family of unfortunate names. Lucky me.

Long story short: I don't think I'll be using a nom de plume. I think I'll just be boring instead. How ... boring of me. Humph.
"A person is a fool to become a writer."
--Roald Dahl

370 Reviews

Reviews: 370
Tue Mar 04, 2008 6:13 pm
Aedomir says...

That's a good point.

I know someone at schoo, initials:

P. ENNIS

:lol: I am so immature!
We are all Sociopaths: The Prologue

Sociopath: So • ci • o • path noun
1. Someone who believes their behaviour is right.
2. Human.

Reviews: 4
Sat Mar 15, 2008 12:56 am
gingerheartsyou says...

I like Mark Crawford if you wrote mystery/suspense novels. I can just see a paperback at the B&N like BLACKBIRD by Mark Crawford or RUNNING OUT OF TIME by Mark Crawford. If you wrote fantasy, I would say S.M. Crawford. I dunno why, it just sounds fantasy-ish. But general fiction I would say [whatever your middle name is] Crawford. It's hard with the innitials M, S, A and the surname Crawford to work with because M.S. sounds like Ms., MS also sounds like MS Word, M.A. sounds like you have your masters but you dunno that it's supposed to go after your last name, and something different like A.M Crawford makes me think you like the morning or you like American Movies.

As for mine, I usually use a mix of my names, Taylor Virzi, Virginia Verzi, Virginia Taylor, Taylor Seymour, G.E. Seymour, G.S. Taylor, Ginger Taylor, etc. But if I'm feeling extra different, I'll use Regina Paige Moorlan
"Old times" never come back and I suppose it's just as well. What comes back is a new morning every day in the year, and that's better.
-George E. Woodberry

27 Reviews

Reviews: 27
Sat Mar 15, 2008 2:39 am
Manny says...

Eh, I won't use a pen name. I think if you have the guts to write something controversial then you should have the guts to put your name on it. Take responsability for your words. I'll probably use my first and last name, Michael Starks.

Reviews: 4
Sat Mar 15, 2008 4:18 am
gingerheartsyou says...

I use a pen name only because my name isnt very writer-like. If I were to write something controversial, you better believe my real full name will be at the top with a birth certificate attached. Michael Starks is the kind of name that would look good on the cover of a book, but Virginia Seymour? Not so much.
"Old times" never come back and I suppose it's just as well. What comes back is a new morning every day in the year, and that's better.
-George E. Woodberry

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
— Bilbo Baggins