z

Young Writers Society

Fight Club

67 Reviews

Reviews: 67
Wed Mar 30, 2005 9:59 pm
View Likes
QiGuaiGongFu says...

i LOVE fight club... go watch it, right now, better yet, read it. Pay attention to Marla Singer, i think she's a figment of his imagination, along with tyler durden.

speaking of him, do we ever find out the guys name?
For centuries, theologians have been explaining the unknowable in terms of the-not-worth-knowing.
- HL Mencken
Lie together like butt.
Presenting the GFuture, soon to be the Gnow, reality presented by Google.
Welcome to GEarth.
~Baske in the randomness~

19 Reviews

Reviews: 19
Thu Mar 31, 2005 12:11 am
View Likes
hawk says...

if you're talking about the protaganist (maybe hes just the narrator) then sure, it's something like jack. can't remember.
"Meanwhile everyone wants to breathe and nobody can; and many say, 'We will breathe later.' And most of them don’t die because they are already dead." -- Graffiti of the events of May, Paris '68

67 Reviews

Thu Mar 31, 2005 12:39 am
QiGuaiGongFu says...

Jack is the person from the internal organ diary, towards the beginning. "i am jacks madulaoblongatta, without me jack cannot think." "i am jacks colon..." He refers back to that through the entire movie, but he isn't jack. I just watched it, and he actually has no name - though he IS refered to as Jack before all his lines in the screenplay.

He is the protagonist, and the narrator, and the host brain for Tyler Durden, and Marla Singer, but thats just my theory. the phone number at the beginning, how its burnt all except for the number. The only time you see anyone interact with her is at the very end when she's taken up to the top of the building. She appears as 'Jack's' guilt. she is also a tourist, she is how Jack see's himself, and Tyler is how Jack would like to see himself.
For centuries, theologians have been explaining the unknowable in terms of the-not-worth-knowing.
- HL Mencken
Lie together like butt.
Welcome to GEarth.

19 Reviews

Reviews: 19
Thu Mar 31, 2005 9:30 am
View Likes
hawk says...

It's probable, sure, but you forget when she came into testicular cancer, everyone looked at her strangely; and when (forgetting illness) some guy approaches her for crying partners (something like this), so, at lest who she is in the beginning, does not seem to be a part of his imaginative dysfunction. how impractical is she though, the walking into traffic. how, really, would the trio have worked had Marla also been inanimate, they were perfectly compact, and I don’t think Jack had the sort of mentality to see it by himself.

As far as your protagonist/narrator being a separate entity to Jack, I always assumed it was just a voice over.
"Meanwhile everyone wants to breathe and nobody can; and many say, 'We will breathe later.' And most of them don’t die because they are already dead." -- Graffiti of the events of May, Paris '68

67 Reviews

Thu Mar 31, 2005 5:41 pm
View Likes
QiGuaiGongFu says...

Jack is the guy doing the voice over, and the main character. Its all him, the name jack comes from the diary he read when he first came to Paper Street Soap Co. aka Tyler Durden's place. he found this diary that the previous ocupant had left, and it was a diary of his organs written in the first person. The previous occupants name must have been jack.

She always seems to be able to find him, she's always there, he cant get rid of her. A skitzofrenic can never totally destroy one of the personalities they create. unless they are whitness to the personalities death. The thing is, marla and tyler were both extremes, they were what they were to the most extreme they could be, while everyone else around them were just normal people.
- HL Mencken
Lie together like butt.
Welcome to GEarth.

pain is that feeling when you are feeling hurt, but it never goes away leaving me hurt. oh it hurts.
— Dragonthorn