Supporter

Reviews: 1274
Sat Mar 19, 2005 2:23 am
niteowl says...

Japan town to pay women who have 3rd kid
Officials seek to fight a rapidly shrinking population

The Associated Press
Updated: 4:13 a.m. ET March 12, 2005

TOKYO - How about getting paid 1 million yen for having a baby?

To combat a shrinking population, a small town in northern Japan has decided to give a cash award worth about $9,600 to each female resident who has a third child, an official said Friday.

To be eligible, the women must have lived in Yamatsuri town for more than a year, town hall spokesman Eiichi Takanobu said.

Yamatsuri, where the population has fallen from 7,400 a decade ago to 7,000 this year, is not alone among Japanese towns who are losing people.

A shrinking population
As the country’s birthrate declines, demographers have predicted Japan’s population will peak at about 127.7 million next year and fall rapidly over the next half-century to about 100 million.

The situation is raising concerns about how future generations will support the growing ranks of elderly and how businesses will survive as the labor pool shrinks.

To encourage families to have more children, the central government has started building more day-care centers and encouraged men to take paternity leave.

It is rare, however, for a town to offer its female residents a large sum for having a baby.

Yamatsuri will hand mothers a lump sum of $4,800 within three months after giving birth to a third baby. The women will then be given $480 each year between the child’s second and 11th birthday, Takanobu said.

Last year, 50 babies were born in Yamatsuri, up from 40 in 2003, Takanobu said.

Japan’s birthrate fell to a record low of 1.29 in 2003 as improved career opportunities give women more options aside from marriage. Many families also put off having children due to the difficulties of finding affordable child care and weak support for working mothers from companies and communities.

© 2005 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
URL: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7165019/?GT1=6305
"You do ill if you praise, but worse if you censure, what you do not understand." Leonardo Da Vinci

<YWS><R1>

481 Reviews

Reviews: 481
Sat Mar 19, 2005 5:15 am
Bobo says...

You know, if they really want the population to grow, they should let us Mormons in. Then it'll be faster and free! lol

683 Reviews

Reviews: 683
Sat Mar 19, 2005 8:31 am
Emma says...

Wow, but I thought the goverment banned woman for having more than one children? Why pay them? I wanna get payed that much for having a baby! Thats it! Im moving to Japan! And pretending that I lived there for a year!

1274 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1274
Sat Mar 19, 2005 3:09 pm
niteowl says...

You're thinking of China, Emma.
"You do ill if you praise, but worse if you censure, what you do not understand." Leonardo Da Vinci

<YWS><R1>

506 Reviews

Reviews: 506
Sat Mar 19, 2005 4:12 pm
Sureal says...

Japan still have population trouble. Most of the land there is hilly, and full of forests. Which is why houses there are so small and so expensive.
Surely it'd be better to have people move from the over crowded cities into the small towns, rather than paying women to have more babies?
I wrote the above just for you.

148 Reviews

Reviews: 148
Sun Mar 27, 2005 4:25 am
ohhewwo says...

Emma wrote:Wow, but I thought the goverment banned woman for having more than one children? Why pay them? I wanna get payed that much for having a baby! Thats it! Im moving to Japan! And pretending that I lived there for a year!

"...more than one children?"

You mean more than one child?

447 Reviews

Reviews: 447
Sun Mar 27, 2005 4:50 am
Duskglimmer says...

Sureal wrote:Japan still have population trouble. Most of the land there is hilly, and full of forests. Which is why houses there are so small and so expensive.
Surely it'd be better to have people move from the over crowded cities into the small towns, rather than paying women to have more babies?

That would only work if it was only this one town that was having problems with it's population shrinking. My understanding is that all of Japan is having this problem. So in that case, moving people around Japan doesn't really solve the problem.
The robbed that smiles, steals something from the thief. ~William Shakespeare, Othello
Boo. SPEW is watching.

"Do not try to be pretty. You weren't meant to be pretty; you were meant to burn down the earth and graffiti the sky. Don't let anyone ever simplify you to just 'pretty'"
— Suzanne Rivard