z

Young Writers Society

Building a Platform

121 Reviews

Reviews: 121
Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:38 pm
PhoenixBishop says...

As much as we want to believe that our writing will speak for itself and attract the needed readers to become a bestseller, this won't happen if you don't have a Platform. There are a few exceptions but they're few and far between.

A Platform is made up of things that will make the public aware of you before your book hits the shelves. In other words a platform is the begening of you marketing career, because 50% of writing is writing and the other 50% is marketing. Despite what you think publishers and agents do little to market you because the smaller publishers simply don't have the money, and they have other clients to attend to. If you manage to get a bigger publishing company like Little Brown, or Random House on your side then your marketing job will be less but still there.

So how do you build a Platform. Well it's quite easy to do in this age of technology.

1. Join a writing site like this. Don't do it just to market your book, but be an actual participating member. The people will respect you and may buy your book. (You should buy their book too)

2. Youtube is where everyone goes, so make your mark their. Again don't just market, give writing lessons. Talk about books and hit on major topics so that you can be known. They're our lots of writers on Youtube, subscribe and become friends with them.

There are many other ways and once you get published your marketing strategy will have to change a little.

Take this guy for Example http://www.branhambric.com/
His book hasn't even come out yet and he already has a following. A following he gained by platforming. He has a blog that is quite popular with Twilight fans, a Youtube in which he gives away prizes, a Twitter that has 11,000 followers and stakes in Myspace, and Facebook.

Winning competitions and getting published in small publications, such as magazines are also great ways to get noticed.

A platform will also increase your chances of getting an agent or being excepted by a publishing company. They like clients that already has the means of selling their books. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Last edited by PhoenixBishop on Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This is one little planet in one tiny solar system in a galaxy that’s barely out of its diapers. I’m old, Dean. Very old. So I invite you to contemplate how insignificant I find you.

Death~

57 Reviews

Reviews: 57
Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:11 pm
Merlin34 says...

You have very good advice there. Not much I can add though.

Sort of off-topic, but that guy, Kaleb Nation... something about him just irks me. Don't know what or why.
http://maxhelmberger.com/
Advice on writing, funny articles, and more.

370 Reviews

Reviews: 370
Sun Oct 11, 2009 8:14 am
empressoftheuniverse says...

He was a great example of a platform builder, but I agree with the guy above me...
another option you can extend to is podcasting: if your writing advice is good, you can quickly build a platform and market your books. I've bought several books from podcasters and will continue to do so; I haven't been disappointed.
some great example are:
Patrick E. McClean- The Seanachi, How to Succeed in Evil (though I'm not sure if he's published yet he has a HUGE fanbase)
Mur Lafferty- Heaven Series, Playing for Keeps
J.C. Hutchinson- Seventh Son trilogy, Personal Effects
Scott Seigler- Infection, Contagious
though I'm not sure if the names are spelled right, the words definetaly are
check out the Seanachi; a collection of essays and short stories free on itunes. Great ideas, wonderful production... stunning.
Naked I came from my mother's womb, and naked I will depart.
*Le Bible
Royal Reviews Here!

Oh no, I’m sorry, you’re under the impression that here on YWS we *help* writers instead of just feeding their gremlin tendencies.
— winterwolf0100