z

Young Writers Society

Publishing

378 Reviews

Reviews: 378
Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:35 am
sokool15 says...

I'm not sure if this is the correct forum for this sort of thing...if not, someone please move it to the correct forum (if there is one).

Anyway, I'm wondering about publishing...how to go about it. I'm about five chapters away from the end of my novel, and I'm really interested in getting it edited and perhaps published. PROBLEM: I don't know anything about publishing companies, or editing services, or how to go about anything. Are publishing companies mostly online these days, or do you still send in copies of your manuscript? Who are the good ones to check out and how do I get ahold of them? Procedures, rules, ideas, etc etc...I could really use all the help and advice and information I could get.

Thanks so much!
~MademoiselleKool 8)
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
~Albert Einstein

497 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 497
Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:45 am
Teague says...

Go to your local library. There are *dozens* of books on publishing, query letters, synopses, agents, etc. etc. I recommend looking for Writer's Digest titles or Publishing for Dummies -- the well-known ones. There's plenty of information out there on how to handle everything.

Good luck!

-:pirate3:
"2-4-6-8! I like to delegate!" -Meshugenah
"Teague: Stomping on your dreams since 1992." -Sachiko
"So I'm looking at FLT and am reminded of a sandwich." -Jabber

241 Reviews

Reviews: 241
Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:00 pm
lyrical_sunshine says...

*points to the top of the forum*

There's a stickied thread that says something like "Essential websites for anyone trying to get published". They're really helpful sites - they'll tell you everything you need to know.
“We’re still here,” he says, his voice cold, his hands shaking. “We know how to be invisible, how to play dead. But at the end of the day, we are still here.” ~Dax

Teacher: "What do we do with adjectives in Spanish?"
S: "We eat them!"

378 Reviews

Reviews: 378
Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:48 pm
sokool15 says...

Thanks guys! I didn't notice the sticky -I'll go check it out.

Cheers~ 8)
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
~Albert Einstein

125 Reviews

Reviews: 125
Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:01 am
PerforatedxHearts says...

I wrote an extremely long article about Publishing in General on my writing site.

Publishing in General. There's a link.
"Video games don't affect kids. If Pacman had affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills, and listening to repetitive electronic music." --anonymous/banner.

150 Reviews

Reviews: 150
Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:02 pm
Ross says...

I would go to the library like Saint said. There, look for a Writer's Market book 2008. This has the good publishing companies.
And we'll be a dream...

"Dee Dubbleyou." - BigBadBear

Surround yourself with people who are serious about being writers, and who will tell you, ‘Hey—you can do better than this.’ Who will be critical of your work, but also supportive. And who will not be competitive in a negative way.
— Isabel Quintero