z

Young Writers Society

My Saskatchewan Beach

35 Reviews

Reviews: 35
Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:34 am
jemjive says...

These are some pictures I took at the beach where I have a cabin. Sorry there are so many! I couldn't decide!

DSCF4208.jpg
DSCF4208.jpg (73.17 KiB) Viewed 318 times

DSCF4201.jpg
DSCF4201.jpg (68.05 KiB) Viewed 318 times

DSCF4198.jpg
DSCF4198.jpg (87 KiB) Viewed 318 times

DSCF4196.jpg
DSCF4196.jpg (73.25 KiB) Viewed 318 times

DSCF4194.jpg
DSCF4194.jpg (98.97 KiB) Viewed 318 times

DSCF4191.jpg
DSCF4191.jpg (102.4 KiB) Viewed 318 times

DSCF4183.jpg
DSCF4183.jpg (67.01 KiB) Viewed 318 times

DSCF4189.jpg
DSCF4189.jpg (104.61 KiB) Viewed 318 times

DSCF4178.jpg
DSCF4178.jpg (63.47 KiB) Viewed 318 times
Attachments
DSCF4195.jpg
DSCF4195.jpg (91.41 KiB) Viewed 318 times
Your motor's unstable,
Your like an
Undwinding
Cable
Car

57 Reviews

Reviews: 57
Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:11 am
NinjaCookieMonster says...

Okay! Time to rid you of that awful feeling when your work has no comments!

#1: Hm. I think it could be a great shot, but typically the best photos are that in which the subject is in the center area. Tip for future reference.

#2: Wow! I liked this one. It has a certain air, a je ne sai qoui, that sort of feels... mysterious, wistful, even.

#4: Well... I think at a better angle, you could have accomplished something. But there, it almost looks like a picture you took by accident. Sorry for the blatantness, but it had to be said.

#3: That shadow is just killing it. Not the good way.

#5: Huh. Sort of... gr. Don't have the words for it. Like, it feels like it's symbolic, or in some adventure novel taking place in Egypt.... Shut up. My mind's weird. Technically, not a bad shot.

#6: A bit abstract. I actually don't know how I feel about it.

#7: I guess this is a good shot...? I'm sort of impassive about it. Like it's a "meh" shot. Y'know what I mean, right?

#8: Er....

#9: Aw, cute!

#10: O.o Am I the only one incredibly "WTRD?!" 'd by this?

Overall, I think you're on the right track. Few technique fix ups, angling and *cough* shadow ridding *cough*, and you could be pretty good.
hey, Jude, don't make it bad
take a sad song and make it better
remember to let it into your heart
then you can start
to make it better.

~make books, not war~

"Not vampires, fish from space."

675 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 675
Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:15 am
lilymoore says...

Hi there JemJive!

I’m really just going to give you some overall advice because Ninja covered the smaller things I would have mentioned.

Really, you need to find the balance in your pictures. Just snapping a camera isn’t going to make you a photographer. Stopping to find your eye in the picture is what’s really important. Things like never making the subject of the photo the exact center of the photo is key. Middle is just…naughty.

Also, there’s angle. Say you take a picture of someone face on. It’s probably not as interesting as that same face taken at a different angle. I’m rambling but what I mean is that you need to find your eye. It takes some time, but experiment with things. It’ll be fun. :D
Never forget who you are, for surely the world will not. Make it your strength. Then it can never be your weakness. Armor yourself in it, and it will never be used to hurt you.

1087 Reviews

Reviews: 1087
Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:29 pm
Sins says...

Heya Jemjive.
Here to review as requested. Photography definitely isn't my strong point, so you're going to have to bare with me on this. :lol: I'll do my best though!

#1 I'm not too keen on this picture, I have to admit. I think it's mostly because all we can really see is the top of a tree and the sky. It kind of looks like you've accidentally taken it, mainly because there isn't really anything to focus on. This picture would have looked a bit better, I think, if the sun was shining through the branches of the trees and the tree was maybe on the one side of the picture or something. I'm not too sure, I am not a photographer by a long shot.

2# I rather like this one. :) There is nothing specific to focus on, but I don't mind it in this picture. I also like the rocks/shells that are in this photo, they are very unique and interesting. Another thing I like about this one is the colours. The soft blue of the sea contrasts very well with the light brown sand. My only real suggestion for this photo is probably the angle of it. Like lily said, you should experiment with different angles. You don't always have to take the photos face on.

3# This one is okay. There are a few things that I'm not overly keen on though. To begin with, I don't like how there's a shadow, probably your shadow, in the picture. That is something that you always need to be careful of; shadows. Sometimes they can creep up when you least expect them. If you see that you have a shadow in the photo you've taken, figure out where the shadow is coming from and if you can, move what's creating it. If the shadow is you, just be careful. :wink: The one thing that I do like about this photo though are the colours, they work very well together. The colour of the centre object contrasts well with the stones.

4# This one I have mixed views on. I can tell that this photo could have been a very good one. I'm not really sure what the problem is exactly, it just feels a bit 'off' to me. To be honest, only a decent photography reviewer could tell you the problem in this. Not me. I do like the content of the picture though, very nice.

5# To me, this photo seems kind of empty. There isn't really much in it. Plus, it very much reminds me of the third photo. The reason for this, I think, is because it's taken from exactly the same angle. Remember, different and interesting angles are a good thing! It also looks like you've placed the stone there yourself. Have you? If you have, I don't think that it's a good thing. To be honest, the best photos are the natural ones. Ones that you have taken because you've seen something that looks great and snapped a photo of it. :)

6# I haven't got much to say about this one. Once again, it reminds me of two of your other pictures; the third and the fifth one. Plus, I can see the hint of a shadow creeping in the bottom right corner of the photo. Be careful of those shadows!

7# I can definitely see potential in this photo. :) The angle is very nice, well done for that, and the scene itself is very pretty. What would have made me impressed by this photo would have been if some of the unnatural stuff wasn't there. For example, someone's shoes and, what looks like, the edge of a towel or something. If those weren't there, the shot would have been ten times better, in my opinion. I actually like the kid in this photo. I would have liked it even more if they were standing in a different place. More into the sea, maybe? Or closer in land? I'm not too sure... I'm going on about something I have no idea about.

8# I'm not really going to say anything about this. It almost looks exactly like number six! Number six looks like number three and five as well, so yeah... :wink:

9# Out of all the photos, this one is my favourite. I like the young feeling of this photo, probably because of the kid. Duh... What I like the most about it is how you've managed to capture the mountain things in the background. They look very nice with the sea and the sand. I also think that the red bucket gives this shot a nice touch. Like with number 7, I would have liked this photo even more if the shoes weren't in there. I'm not saying that shoes destroy photography, that would be mean to the shoes. I'm just saying that I don't think that they look good in the places they are in some of your photos. Overall though, I really do like this photo. 8)

10# Part of me likes this photo and part of me doesn't. What I am very happy about in this one is the angle. Unlike photo 8, 5 and 3, the angle of this photo is different and interesting. Well done for achieving that. What I'm not so keen on in this photo is the content. It's a bit on the boring side and it looks kind of random. Plus, the other stick in the background doesn't really do much for it.

Overall

You definitely have potential. I'm no expert on photography at all, but I can see that you have an eye for pretty things. All that you need to do is keep practising your photography. Watch out for those dreaded shadows and be more experimental with your angles. Don't be afraid to try something new or something that may seem kind of weird. I actually once took a photo that I was pretty proud of. The photo was of a slush puppy. Kind of weird and different, but it worked. :)

Keep taking those photos!

xoxo Rhian

EDIT: I just realised how long this review is... sorry...
I didn't know what to put here so I put this.

35 Reviews

Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:17 pm
jemjive says...

Thanks guys. I know my boringness with angles is a problem :? But hey, I'm trying. Hahah.

Skins - Thankyou, in photo number 5 I did not place the rock there, I was sifting through the sand and it turned up. :P Yeah the kid you liked would be my brother heheheh.... and it's a lake, not the sea. Saskatchewan is right in the middle of Canada, no oceans. :(

Lily - The day I took these pictures wasn't really a shoot day. I just randomly grabbed my camera. I do understand what you meant about finding my eye. My angles in these shots are rather boring. It was a short reveiw but it helped. Thankyou.

Ninja - Yeah, the shadow does kill it. :wink: I think it was my camera strap's shadow too. But your comments helped, thanks.
Your motor's unstable,
Your like an
Undwinding
Cable
Car

35 Reviews

Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:48 pm
jemjive says...

Also, I have put up some other ones that I think are better than these.
post719740.html#p719740
Your motor's unstable,
Your like an
Undwinding
Cable
Car

48 Reviews

Reviews: 48
Sat Jun 12, 2010 7:07 pm
ArahniaSiddel says...

1. This is good, but it seems a bit bland. I would like to see more of the tree. I also don't like how there is two smaller trees next to the big one. The big ones seems so bright and the smaller ones are darker leaves.

2. This is awesome. They are rocks right? I wouldn't change anything it is so beautiful! Well maybe I would like to see more ocean.

3. Well, this is a bit blurry, and I don't like the shadows. Maybe you could try to get a different angle to catch peoples eyes.

4. This is really good. I wouldn't change anything, but I would like to see the closer up sand/rock be more focused.

5. I seems like there is a thin film of something making the picture to bright or something. It also is blurry.

6./8. I don't like the shadow in the bottom left hand corner, and I think you could find a more interesting angle.

7. I would like to see this bigger. If you want to P.M. me I would love to review it then. I can't really tell if I like it or not at this size.

9. This is so cute! I love it. I would cut off the shoes at the bottom. Like this:
Spoiler! :
boy.jpg
boy.jpg (20.14 KiB) Viewed 242 times

Over all: Some of your pictures are really good, but your closeups seem blurry. I don't know if it was because it was so sunny that day, your camera, or some other thing, but it kind of ruins your photos. I also think you could find more interesting angles. That will catch peoples' eyes.

Hope I Helped,

A. S.

35 Reviews

Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:25 am
jemjive says...

Eeek why is everyone dissing the shoes? I thought it was kind of cute because they are his shoes :P
Your motor's unstable,
Your like an
Undwinding
Cable
Car

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you; that is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
— Mark Twain