z

Young Writers Society

In The Dark - Chapter 5

56 Reviews

Reviews: 56
Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:16 am
Ikafe says...

In The Dark – Chapter 5

Anzhela, Bibiana and Derrel were still laughing, as if someone just told them, the best joke ever. I felt hurt. Lucas still wasn’t laughing, it looked like he wasn’t enjoying this situation like others did. I felt weak, betrayed, defeated. I was crying my heart of, screaming as hard as I could. I was trying to get the pain out of my body. I wanted to get out of Lucas’s hard grip, I wanted to hurt all of them badly for what they did to me, but I couldn’t.

“Oh look, who feels hurt here. Are you not having fun?” Anzhela appeared in front of me, she was smiling. She was enjoying hurting me, as were the others.

“Such pity, we thought you might like this.” Derrel whispered into my ear.
I lost all hope. I stopped screaming, and kicking, I knew it wasn’t helping, but I couldn’t stop crying. It was as if my heart had a mind of its own.

“Don’t worry, it won’t be long, until you won’t feel anything.” Bibiana said.
They were all looking at me. Their smiles were making me sick. How can anyone behave like them? How can someone kill, and then laugh at it? Do they not have hearts? Don’t they feel the sorrow, the pain?

“Hmmm…I liked the talk we had here, dear Zoey, but we have to get the work done. It’s time…” Anzhela spoke up adding a devilish laugh at the end which the others echoed, again Lucas was quiet, holding my hands behind my back in a strong grip, preventing me from escaping (it’s not like, I could actually outrun them).

“Bibiana love, please, let’s take it outside.” She turned to Bibiana, the side of her mouth pulling up.

Anzhela waved at Lucas and he let go of my hands. Should I run? Would I have any chance of escaping from them?

Suddenly Bibiana appeared in front of me (I’ve seen their unhuman speed a lot of times today, but I can never get used to it). She pushed me hard, sending me flying across the room, and the out of the closed window.

I fell onto the wet, hard, moshi grass, in our back yard. I had pieces of glass stock in my skin. I felt the worm blood going down my hand, face, leg…etc. Are they going to kill me like this? Slowly so that I’ll be their entertainment?

They were all standing about a metre away from me, talking. I noticed that there was a black liquid on the blade of the sword.

“Excessum…Excessum…Excessum…” Anzhela, Bibiana and Derrel were repeating again moving towards me. Lucas was again the only odd one out. He was starring into the black forest, motionlessly. I don’t know why, but I always somehow noticed what he was doing. Now I saw how he looked. He was tall, muscled. Dark brown hair and black eyes. He was dressed all in black. The kind of bad boy you would want to get to know. He was exactly the kind of boy, girls go crazy after. He looked around my age. I pushed these thoughts, into the back of my mind. I can’t think about boys while I’m being murdered.

Now all three of them were standing right above me, repeating ‘Excessum’ in a steady beat. Anzhela brought the sword above her head, the same as she did, while killing my adoptive parents, and then with a quick movement, she stabbed me into the side of my stomach, not into my heart like she did to my adoptive parents, did she want me to die slow, after all?

I screamed. Blood poured out of the whole she made with the sword into my stomach. Why can’t they just end it quick? Why do they have to torture me like this. Now I only wish to die, only death can take this horrible pain away. These dark creatures just broke me. They did the worst things to me in just one night. What else is there. Why can’t I just close my eyes forever?

Through the hypnotizing pain, I heard what Anzhela was saying to Lucas.
“Lucas, stay here until she dies.The death venom should kill her in a couple of hours, then get rid of her body, we’ll set this farm on fire, no one’s going to notice it for a really long time.” After she said it I heard her and Bianca leave.

I don’t know how, but somehow I stood up, even in the worst pain that you can imagine. I started to walk towards the forest, I don’t know why, but something was telling me to do that. I heard Lucas walking behind me, he wasn’t using his unhuman speed.

I collapsed somewhere beside the first trees of the forest. I remembered that Anzhela said that I’m going to die in a couple of hours. Why couldn’t they just let me at least die peacefully? I laid under a tree which was protecting me from the rain. I started humming, it was a lullaby that my adoptive mother used to sing to me when I was little.
I heard Lucas kneeling beside me. What did he want? Enjoy my misery?

“I’m sorry, so sorry. I failed to protect you. I have to change you, or you’ll die.” I didn’t get what he was saying.

I stopped humming. I looked at his face which was covered with rain and tears. Tears? He was crying. I saw the sorrow, angriness and sadness in his deep black eyes.

“You’ll know everything when you’ll wake up, I’ll leave all you’ll need here.” He said. Suddenly I felt his teeth, (to be accurate fangs) on my neck and after that I only remember darkness.
"Even in the darkness, my heart will you..."
"How do you escape from yourself?"
"...open your eyes, and see..."

Ikafe

75 Reviews

Reviews: 75
Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:39 am
Maddy says...

Anzhela, Bibiana and Derrel were still laughing, as if someone just told them, [lose comma] the best joke ever. I felt hurt. Lucas still wasn’t laughing, [put a ; instead] it looked [“seemed” is a better word] like he wasn’t enjoying this situation like [the] others did. I felt weak, betrayed, defeated. I was crying my heart of [out], screaming as hard as I could. I was trying to get the pain out of my body. I wanted [“tried”] to get out of [“wriggle myself out of” is better here] Lucas’s hard grip, I wanted to hurt all of them badly for what they did to me, but I couldn’t.

“Oh look, who feels hurt here.[“?” instead] Are you not having fun?” Anzhela appeared in front of me,[“:” instead] she was smiling [“smirking” makes more sense]. She was enjoying hurting me, as were the others.

I lost all hope. I stopped screaming, and kicking, [“.” instead] I knew it wasn’t helping, but I couldn’t stop crying. It was as if my heart [you mean “eyes”, otherwise it doesn’t make sense] had a mind of its own.

“Don’t worry, [“:” instead] it won’t be long, [lose comma] until you won’t feel anything.” Bibiana said.
They were all looking [“staring”] at me. Their smiles were making me sick. How can anyone behave like them? How can someone kill, and then laugh at it? Do they not have hearts? Don’t they feel the sorrow, the pain?

“Hmmm…I liked the talk we had here, dear Zoey, but we have to get the work done. It’s time…” Anzhela spoke up [lose “up” and replace with a comma] adding a devilish laugh at the end which the others echoed, [“.”] a[A]gain Lucas was quiet, holding my hands behind my back in a strong grip [not needed, you mentioned this before], preventing me from escaping (it’s not like, I could actually outrun them).

“Bibiana love, please, let’s take it outside.” She [Replace “she” with “Anzhela”] turned to Bibiana, the side of her mouth pulling up.

Anzhela waved at Lucas and he [quickly] let go of my hands. Should I run? Would I have any chance of escaping from them?

Suddenly Bibiana appeared in front of me [“.” instead] (
[Don’t put too many brackets in, it looks tacky. Try “ Suddenly Bibiana appeared in front of me. Their inhuman speed was something I could never get used to.”]
I’ve seen their unhuman speed a lot of times today, but I can never get used to it).
She pushed me hard, sending me flying across the room, and the out of the closed window.

I fell onto the wet, hard, moshi grass,[lose comma] in our back yard. I had [“felt” is better] pieces of glass stock [lose “stock”] in my skin. I felt the worm [“warm” you meant] blood going down my hand, face, leg…etc. [Never, EVER use etc! Get rid of it!] Are they going to kill me like this? Slowly[“,”] so that I’ll be their entertainment?

They were all standing about a metre away from me, talking. I noticed that there was a black liquid on the blade of the sword.

“Excessum…Excessum…Excessum…” Anzhela, Bibiana and Derrel were repeating again[“,”] moving towards me. Lucas was again the only odd one out. He was starring into the black forest, motionlessly. I don’t know why, but I always somehow noticed what he was doing. Now I saw how [ replace “saw how” with “was noticing how”] he looked. He was tall, muscled [replace “tall, musculed” with “tall and muscular”]. Dark brown hair and [“deep”] black eyes. He was dressed all [replace “all” with “completely”] in black. [Lucas was] T[t]he kind of bad boy you would want to get to know. He was exactly the kind of boy, [lose comma] girls go crazy after. [“, and he”] He looked around my age. I pushed these thoughts, [lose comma] into the back of my mind. I can’t think about boys while I’m being murdered.

Now all three of them were standing right above me, repeating ‘Excessum’ in a steady beat. Anzhela brought the sword above her head, the same as she did, [lose comma] while killing my adoptive parents, and then with a quick movement, she stabbed me into the side of my stomach, [put a “.” here instead, and capitalise the “not”] not into my heart like she did to my adoptive parents, [put a “:” here instead] did she want me to die slow, after all?

I screamed. Blood poured out of the hole she made with the sword into my stomach. Why can’t they just end it quick? Why do they have to torture me like this. [“?” instead] Now I only wish to die, [add a “:” here instead] only death can take this horrible pain away. These dark creatures just broke me [“have broken me”]. They did the worst things to me in just one night. [Akward phrasing- lose the whole sentence] What else is there. [ put a “?” here instead] Why can’t I just close my eyes forever?

Through the hypnotizing [not the right word, try “searing” instead] pain, I heard what Anzhela was saying to Lucas.
“Lucas, stay here until she dies. The death venom should kill her in a couple of hours, [“:” here instead] then get rid of her body, [“.” here instead and capitalise the “we’ll”] we’ll set this farm on fire, no one’s going to notice it for a really long time.” After she said it I heard her and Bianca [you mean “Bibiana”] leave.

I don’t know how, but somehow I stood up, even in the worst pain that you can imagine. I started to walk [“stumble” sounds better] towards the forest, [“.” here instead] I don’t know why, but something was telling me to do that. I heard Lucas walking behind me, [but] he wasn’t using his unhuman [it’s “inhuman”] speed.

I collapsed somewhere beside the first trees of the forest. I remembered that Anzhela said that I’m [“I was”] going to die in a couple of hours. Why couldn’t they just let me at least die peacefully? I laid under a tree[“,”] which was protecting me from the rain. I started humming,[“:”] it was a lullaby that my adoptive mother used to sing to me when I was little.
I heard Lucas kneeling beside me. What did he want? [replace the “?” with “: to” and un-capitalise the “enjoy”] Enjoy my misery?

“I’m sorry, so sorry. I failed to protect you. I have to change you, or you’ll die.” I didn’t get[“understand” is a better word] what he was saying.

I stopped humming. I looked at his face[“,”] which was covered with rain and tears. Tears? He was crying. I saw the sorrow, angriness and sadness in his deep[“,”] black eyes.

“You’ll know everything when you’ll wake up,[“.”] I’ll leave all you’ll need here.[“,”, and un-capitalise the “he”]” He said. Suddenly I felt his teeth, (to be accurate fangs) on my neck and after that I only remember darkness. [Awkward phrasing: try “Suddenly I felt his sharp fangs pierce my neck, and after that, I only remember darkness.”]

This story is tacky. Yes, I said it. The story has been done before, the characters are too stereotypical and your grammar is appalling. Go to this forum: “http://www.youngwriterssociety.com/forum151.html
-Maddy
-If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you!
-"Careful with that light at the end of the tunnel, it might be another train coming."

This awesome post bought to you by me. :)

1087 Reviews

Reviews: 1087
Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:52 pm
Sins says...

Hey Ikafe :)

Here to review. I haven't read the first four chapters of this, so you're going to have to bare with me!

Red = Negative :(
Blue = Positive :)
Bold = My comments 8)

In The Dark – Chapter 5

Anzhela, Bibiana and Derrel were still laughing, as if someone just told them, the best joke ever. I felt was might sound better here? hurt. Lucas still wasn’t laughing, it looked like he wasn’t enjoying this situation like others did. I felt weak, betrayed, defeated. I was crying my heart ofof doesn't really sound right here. Try out instead., screaming as hard as I could. I was trying to get the pain out of my body. I wanted to get out of Lucas’s hard grip, I wanted to hurt all of them badly for what they did to me, but I couldn’t.

“Oh look, who feels hurt here. Are you not having fun?” Anzhela appeared in front of me, she was smiling. She was enjoying hurting me, as were the others. Okay, you've said that they were enjoying seeing the MC hurt plenty of times! You don't really need to repeat it as much as you have.

I lost all hope. I stopped screaming, and kicking,. I knew it wasn’t helping, but I couldn’t stop crying. It was as if my heart had a mind of its own. I liked this line

“Don’t worry, it won’t be long, until you won’t feel anything.” Bibiana said.
They were all looking at me., their smiles were making me sick. How can anyone behave like them? How can someone kill, and then laugh at it? Do they not have hearts? Don’t they feel the sorrow, the pain? You change tenses here! Use the word could and didn't instead of don't and can. Although, I did like content of sentence!

“Hmmm…I liked the talk we had here, dear Zoey, but we have to get the work done. It’s time…” Anzhela spoke up adding a devilish laugh at the end which the others echoed,. Again Lucas was quiet, holding my hands behind my back in a strong grip, preventing me from escaping (it’s not like, I could actually outrun them). I don't really like brackets in a story. Although, that's just my opinion really. :lol:

“Bibiana love, please, let’s take it outside.” She turned to Bibiana, the side of her mouth pulling up.

Anzhela waved at Lucas and he let go of my hands. Should I run? Would I have any chance of escaping from them?

Suddenly Bibiana appeared in front of me (I’ve seen their unhuman speed a lot of times today, but I can never get used to it). She pushed me hard, sending me flying across the room, and the out of the closed window.

I fell onto the wet, hard, moshi grass, in our back yard. I had pieces of glass stock in my skin. I felt the worm blood going down my hand, face, leg…etc.Don't use e.t.c in your story, it doesn't look very good. Are they going to kill me like this? Slowly so that I’ll be their entertainment?

“Excessum…Excessum…Excessum…” Anzhela, Bibiana and Derrel were repeating again moving towards me. Lucas was again the only odd one out. He was starring into the black forest, motionlessly. I don’t know why, but I always somehow noticed what he was doing. Now I saw how he looked. He was tall, muscled. Dark brown hair and black eyes. He was dressed all in black. The kind of bad boy you would want to get to know. He was exactly the kind of boy, girls go crazy after. He looked around my age. I pushed these thoughts, into the back of my mind. I can’t think about boys while I’m being murdered. I found this quite funny. :)

Now all three of them were standing right above me, repeating ‘Excessum’ in a steady beat. Anzhela brought the sword above her head, the same as she did, while killing my adoptive parents,. and Then with a quick movement, she stabbed me into the side of my stomach,. Not into my heart like she did to my adoptive parents, did she want me to die slowly, after all?

I screamed. Blood poured out of the whole she made with the sword into my stomach. Why can’t they just end it quickly? Why do they have to torture me like this. Now I only wish to die, only death can take this horrible pain away. These dark creatures just broke me. They did the worst things to me in just one night. What else is there. Why can’t I just close my eyes forever?

“Lucas, stay here until she dies.The death venom should kill her in a couple of hours, then get rid of her body,. We’ll set this farm on fire, no one’s going to notice it for a really long time.” After she said it I heard her and Bianca leave.

I don’t know how, but somehow I stood up, even in the worst pain that you can imagine. I started to walk towards the forest, I don’t know why, but something was telling me to do that. I heard Lucas walking behind me, he wasn’t using his unhuman speed.

I collapsed somewhere beside the first group of trees in the forest. I remembered that Anzhela said that I’m going to die in a couple of hours. Why couldn’t they just let me at least die peacefully? I laid under a tree which was protecting me from the rain. I started humming, it was a lullaby that my adoptive mother used to sing to me when I was little.
I heard Lucas kneeling beside me. What did he want? Enjoy my misery?

“I’m sorry, so sorry. I failed to protect you. I have to change you, or you’ll die.” I didn’t get understand what he was saying.

I stopped humming. I looked at his face which was covered with rain and tears. Tears? He was crying. I saw the sorrow, angrinesser and sadness in his deep black eyes.

“You’ll know everything when you’ll wake up, I’ll leave all you’ll need here.” He said. Suddenly I felt his teeth, (to be accurate fangs) on my neck and after that I only remember darkness.

You ten to change tenses quite a lot, but that isn't too hard to sort out! Just try your best to keep it in the past tense, if you're writing in the past tense, that is.

Another thing I've noticed is your use of commas. Sometimes, your sentences can be really long! You need to replace some of the commas with periods, like I've done. There are some really good threads around YWS to help you with comma usage. So have a look for some to help you.

Lastly, when your MC is thinking, you should write the thoughts by using italics. This way, it's easier for the reader to understand when the MC is thinking and when she is not. There's a button on the top of your post that allows you to do this, in case you didn't know. :wink:

Okay! Overall, this wasn't too bad!
I understand what Maddy was saying when she said that she's seen it all before. It's the whole vampire love thing, I think. I don't actually have a problem with vampires and love, to be honest. As long as you can make it original and unique, then that's all that really matters.

I like some of your descriptions. When you described the sadness in Lucas' eyes, for example. I thought that you described that pretty well! The parts in blue, by the way, are the parts that I liked! :wink:

All that you need to do now is edit this piece slightly so that the grammar is up to scratch, and you could end up with a pretty good piece of writing.

If you want any more reviews by me, just post in my Will Review For Food thread.

Keep writing,

xoxo Skins
I didn't know what to put here so I put this.

155 Reviews

Reviews: 155
Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:06 pm
Esther Sylvester says...

Hey Ikafe.

First off

I suppose you captured my attention, but there were too many things left unanswered to make this chapter really enjoyable. As mentioned before, this story is getting pretty darn close to the Overwhelmingly Cliche phase. You need to work on that right away. However, there was something about it that made me intrigued. I think the previous reviewers have picked out most of the nitpicks but here is one that truly got me.

“Lucas, stay here until she dies.The death venom should kill her in a couple of hours, then get rid of her body,. We’ll set this farm on fire, no one’s going to notice it for a really long time.” After she said it I heard her and Bianca leave.

Here is the question that every reader is probably thinking right now: Why did the villain leave the hero to die? Wouldn't it be a better idea to make sure that the person you fear is undeniably dead? And why leave the girl with your least trustworthy member? The vampires seem smarter than that, yet they made a horrible mistake. This is one of the most common plot twists ever committed by a villain, which makes this horribly cliche. I am sorry if I sound a little harsh, but it's true. I suggest finding some other way the protagonist was left to live. Thank you.

I can’t think about boys while I’m being murdered.

Good line here.

OVERALL:

This is okay, and I want to see how it progresses. I recommend only to things: A spell check and some unexpected plot twist. When I read the fourth chapter I thought it was going another way then it did. Overall, good job, and please post more.
It's writing prompt week on my blog a very random pickle!:
http://veryrandompickle.blogspot.com/

6 Reviews

Reviews: 6
Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:57 pm
GothicButterfly says...

Hey It's Me Again Here To Review & Let Me Tell You I Still Love This Story, But I Feel LIke Your Missing Some Details, Like Way Would The Vampires Leave Their Most Untrustworthy Member Alone With Zoey To Make Sure She Dies. Come On That's Just Dumb On The Vamps Part. Other Then That It's Good, So Keep It Up & Tell Me When You Type The Next Chapter! :smt003

25 Reviews

Reviews: 25
Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:15 am
callmeLily73 says...

I love your story!! You do a great job at explaining the feelings of the main character and it is amazing how much imagination you must have to create such an amazing tale. The story leaves me in a wondering position with cliff hangers and foreshadowing endings. It leaves me wanting for to ' sink my teeth into.' Private message me soon when you update!
-lily <3
Be yourself
And no one else
dance to the beat
and loose control
Never forget who you are
Be an unforgettable shining star*

1220 Reviews

Reviews: 1220
Sun May 09, 2010 4:58 pm
Kale says...

I'm afraid I have to agree wholeheartedly with Maddy. There's nothing original or unique to this story. Now, while cliche isn't bad in and of itself, it must be paired with uniqueness and originality of some sort to keep it engaging. Strong characters, in particular, can make an otherwise cliche and boring story interesting, as can plot twists. Unfortunately, the characters are more caricatures than anything, their actions do not make sense, and the plot is so cliched, there's nothing to keep my interest.

By the way, your vampires are well on their way to looking like morons. Why didn't they just outright kill Zoe? Why did they leave her to die a prolonged and painful death that would allow for the chance for her to survive? Are there no such things as antidotes in the world?

Anyways, it looks to me like you're posting this up as you write it. My advice: don't. Write out the first draft completely before you post anything more, and then, once you've finished, go through that first draft and see if you can fix things up or if there are things you can change, especially with regards to grammar and pacing. Then, once you've finished revising and polishing up that first draft, post it up here for critique. This way, we reviewers can focus on helping you improve the story as a whole rather than nitpicking your spelling/grammar and the things that may or may not be addressed in future chapters. Writing is a process, but I don't see you using that process fully.
Secretly a Kyllorac, sometimes a Murtle.
There are no chickens in Hyrule.
Princessence: A LMS Project
WRFF | KotGR

6 Reviews

Reviews: 6
Mon May 10, 2010 9:20 pm
GothicButterfly says...

Wow!!! I Just Now Realized How Rude Some Reviewers Are... (Hmm Maybe That's Y I Stopped Post My Writing Up Here?) Anyway, I Just Wanted 2 Tell U That I Enjoy Ur Writing & That I Hope 2 See More Of It Soon :wink: So Yeah That's About It, Till Next Time I Guess.

P.S. 2 All U Reviewers Who Got Offended By This Sorry, I'm Just Speaking My Mind.

13 Reviews

Reviews: 13
Sun Nov 07, 2010 2:30 pm
LilliantheLegend says...

To sum it all up, I love your story! it's great, descriptive, and thrilling! I love how creative you are with this! I usually think the vampire thing is over run, but I think you may have changed my mind! I just hate how you haven't writen in such a long time! update soon!

WHAT'S UP, POTATOES?
— Rudy (Aru Shah and the Nectar of Immortality)