z

Young Writers Society

The Orphanage ~

13 Reviews

Reviews: 13
Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:08 pm
View Likes
bubblegum says...

Well, this is my second story. And I really want to continue. I will. But I also want to hear what you think of the story. This is not a prologue, but some kind of thing. I don't know what to call it.

The Orphanage;
Living among enemies

It all started when I turned ten years old. Two days after my birthday my sister died in a car accident. She was supposed to wait in the car with me to our parents had finished shopping, but she didn’t want to wait that long. She went out of the car and ran towards the entrance doors, but before she came that far she got hit by a car. I ran after her but she was already dead. I loved my sister more than anyone in this world. I lived through her. We didn’t have one fight with each other and shared absolutely everything. We were twins. She was my life.

When I turned eleven I lost my dad. He moved to another country. The real reason was that he stopped loving my mom. I don’t think he loved her at all. He didn’t seem to care what she did or what my sister and I did. All he did was sitting at his butt watching television. Sometimes he drank alcohol and got drunk. After those nights I had bruises all over my body. People at school started to wonder what was going on and I couldn’t tell them anything other than that I’d stumbled and fell. Even my mum didn’t seem to care. When my dad had been drunk he had done terrible things to my mom too. All she did was crying her eyes out. I wish I could do something about it.

At my thirteenth birthday my best friend disappeared. He didn’t show up to my birthday party and we all thought he was sick, but when my mom called, his mom said that he was gone. No one knew where he was. They never found him so the police came to the conclusion that he probably was dead. I still hope he is alive. Since they didn’t find his dead body there might be a chance. I am still looking out for him.

I was fourteen when my step dad came along. I think my mom fell in love with him at work. He had been her boss and now they were married. I liked him. He wasn’t always kind to me, but he wasn’t as bad as my dad. I still got bruises and such when he was drunk, but that didn’t happen so often anymore. When he wasn’t drunk he was absolutely great. We could sit and watch television together. He held both me and my mom. Sometimes he even kissed me goodnight.

The worst thing that could happen after all those things was that my step dad’s daughter decided to join us when I was fifteen. She is a pain. She was one year older than me and she still is. The first thing she did when she came to my school was to steal all my friends’ attention. They forgot me within a week and were totally into her. Some of the guys even got her to bed. She was a real nightmare. I think she thought she owed me or something, but I knew she didn’t.

Now I’m sixteen and my life will never be average again. I’ve lost many of the ones I loved and I live with people I will never like. That’s where my story begins.

Want to read the beginning of the story? Read this: http://www.youngwriterssociety.com/post680491.html#p680491
Last edited by bubblegum on Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
May all your dreams come true.. (even the ones they laughed at).

158 Reviews

Reviews: 158
Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:36 pm
midnightread says...

Hi bubblegum
This is a start of a good story. I especially like the way that she has lost everyone she loved, its makes it easier to relate to the mc.
I can't see anything wrong so I have no nit-picks.
I like the story so can you pm me when you post more?
midnightread :elephant:
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
A wise man does not need advice and a fool won't take it.

Growing old is mandatory,
Growing up is optional.

Rugby is a thugs game played by gentle men,
Football is a gentleman's game played by thugs.

13 Reviews

Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:42 pm
bubblegum says...

midnightread wrote:*Review*

I will send you a pm when I post more. : )
I'm glad you liked it and I'm glad you didn't find anything wrong.
Thanks.

878 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 878
Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:53 am
Demeter says...

Hi, Bubblegum! Here I am :)

Somehow I have to say that I liked the emotionless, matter-of-fact narration. It goes well along with the fact that the narrator has lost a lot and probably doesn't have much hope for the future, or at least that she can't afford anything else but cold hard realism. It even made me wonder whether she could have some kind of an illness that makes it hard for her to recognise or express her feelings. That's the image I got while reading. The list-like narration fits in, as well.

I don't know if it's intentional, but the fact that the 12th year was skipped grabbed my interest. You go through all the years from 10 to 16, apart from 12. It either means that nothing special happened, or that something so traumatic did that she's blocked it from her memories. It's probably the former one, but you never know.

I think that, as "blank" as this first part was, it told a lot about the narrator between the lines. I'm interested to see where you can go with this.

Fortsett å skrive! :D

Demeter
x
"Your jokes are scarier than your earrings." -Twit

"14. Pretend like you would want him even if he wasn't a prince. (Yeah, right.)" -How to Make a Guy Like You - Disney Princess Style

Got YWS?

19 Reviews

Reviews: 19
Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:18 pm
View Likes
Forgotpzwrd says...

ahh, very good story! i had seen your title a few times but i just browse away from it, probably because of the title itself, it kind of reminds me of a thriller ... :o :lol: so i thought i already know it, well, kind of, since she's going to become an orphan, right? idk :lol:

ok! love the introduction of your mc, it's always good to know what the mc had already gone through at the beginning before reading the next part, you got that over with for all of us, good job!!

now i just hope the whole thing is not going to be all sad and gloomy all the way through, since the poor girl lost most of her family member in such young age, (i wonder how she got through with it, damn! :shock:)

i'll definitely read the continuation of this....

and this probably deserves a better, eye-catching title since it got a good story on it,,
What if you found yourself lost and helpless in a foreign place, and in desperate need of help. Would you accept a marriage proposal from a stranger? or walk away instead?

~~Star~~
part1
topic58343.html

part2
topic59140.html

13 Reviews

Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:51 pm
bubblegum says...

Demeter wrote:Fortsett å skrive! :D

Det skal jeg ^^

Thanks for reviewing, guys! :D

436 Reviews

Reviews: 436
Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:43 am
AquaMarine says...

Hey Bubblegum! Sorry this is a little late.

Okay, the first thing that struck me with this is the way you've narrated it. As Demmie said, the whole thing seems very factual and unemotional. The topic you're writing about it, to all intents and purposes, a very deep one that should/could have a lot of feeling in it.

As this is near the start of your novel, what the reader really wants is to get to know your narrator. Right now, I know about the tough times in her life, but I don't know about her. I'm assuming you'll be able to get to this later on, but if you are then you'll need to drop the matter of fact narration a little in order to do it.

Another thing I noticed is that you switch between tenses a few times. For example:

All she did was crying her eyes out.

I'd just read through this and eliminate mistakes like that. You also have a few typos as well, but reading through will help you with that as well.

What I'm interested to see now is your narrator and other characters. It's a little bland at the moment, so I'd like to see you really get into the story and the plot.

Hope this helps!

~Amy

(Oh, I also moved this to Romantic Novels because it looks like you're planning to turn this into one. Contact me if I'm wrong!)
"It is curious how often you humans manage to obtain that which you do not want."

-Spock.

Click if you love cookies

I'm a fledgling potato bird that lives in a nest in the rp forums
— Ley