z

Young Writers Society

What I want

54 Reviews

Reviews: 54
Sat Apr 25, 2009 3:23 pm
WhiteTiger93 says...

Before you say anything, this is for the twisted love contest. When you read this, keep that in mind. (: Anyway, I would love to hear your comments. Make them as brutal as possible! Bring it on!

---
My hips started to sway with the beat. I was dancing alone, but from the stares I was receiving, I had a feeling I wasn’t going to be alone for long. It was a party. My good friend Jennifer’s party, and I was going to have a little fun.
I raised my arms over my head, letting my fingers slip through my blonde hair on the way up. I laughed. I knew the guys really wanted me and I was only playing it up. Though, tonight, I was only after one.
“Hey Marissa,” Brian said, walking towards me. Hmm, I thought, it looks like we have a bit of bait. I smiled at him, sliding my arms up his back and around his neck.
“Wanna dance?” I asked, batting my eyelashes. He nodded slightly. My body moved with his. I enjoyed the feel of his hands on my waist. He wasn’t who I was after, but I needed a little warming up.
Brian’s face seemed to crumple as he looked from the exit to me. Anna was crying, dashing for the exit. I had forgotten that she was trying to hook up with him. Ah well, not my loss. It looks like there was going to be more than one heartbreak tonight.
“I’ll be right back,” I whispered, knowing I really wasn’t. Even though the music was blaring in our ears, I still knew he heard me. I walked away quickly, towards the envious stare I’ve been waiting all night for.
“How are you Skylar?” I asked, my blue eyes seductive.
“Alright,” he responded, licking his lips. He was nervous. Good, I thought. “And you?”
“Perfect,” I smiled. “Let’s go outside. Its cooler out on the deck, besides it’s so incredibly beautiful under the stars. Romantic even.” I hid my smirk. I could feel his gaze on me.
“I don’t –“ Skylar started. I shook my head, and grabbed his hand.
“Please,” I pouted. “I don’t want to be lonely.” He seemed to consider this a moment and finally agreed. I led the way through the back door. I could still feel the music’s thump under my feet. I turned to Skylar.
“It is beautiful out, wouldn’t you say?” I asked. I felt my hips brush up against his jeans. His breathing started to get heavier.
“Very,” he replied, looking sideways. I pressed closer to him, lacing my fingers behind his neck. He tensed up, but finally started to relax. He looked down at me and I stood on my tiptoes, barely pressing my lips onto his. I pulled back to see his expression. There was desire, conflict and despair. He wasn’t thinking of her was he? I’ll get rid of that, I thought, a malicious grin starting to form.
I pulled him towards the house again. He followed me, his desire stronger than any other emotion. Well, that just wouldn’t cut it tonight. I wanted him to forget everything. Everything except me.
Upstairs, I found the guest bedroom. Skylar looked around nervously, but as soon as I shut the door and starting walking towards him, all other emotions faded. I smiled triumphantly. This is what I had been working for.
I ran my fingers through Skylar’s silky brown hair and pulled his head to mine. I found his lips were eagerly awaiting my touch. What kind of person would I be if I denied him that?
I pushed him down on the bed, falling over with him. He groaned, almost silently. I pulled his shirt up and felt his bare skin with my hand. I saw a light shine on in the room and looked up, distracted.
“Marissa!” Jennifer yelled. “How could you possibly even think about doing this?” Tears were dripping off her cheeks and onto the fluffy white carpet. I shrugged. She may be my friend but it doesn’t mean I have to give up Skylar just because they were dating now.
“I wanted him,” I laughed. “Now you’ve gone and spoiled it.” She looked completely and utterly heart-broken. I rolled my eyes.
“Are you seriously crying?” I asked. Jennifer shook her head and bolted out of the room. What a wimp, I thought, chuckling.
I looked back at Skylar. It was obvious the mood was gone but the look on his face shocked me. There was pain, regret, horror, and rage. He was angry with me.
“What were you even thinking!?” Skylar shouted. “Now Jennifer hates me as well as you.” It would be a challenge to try to get him now. I smiled. I loved challenges. I put on an innocent, regretful face.
“Skylar, I’m so sorry. I really liked you. Since I first moved a year ago and when Jennifer told me that you were her’s I backed off, “ I said.
“What are you talking about? Jennifer and I weren’t even together then,” Skylar responded.
“I know. To her you’re just some sort of price, but I really care about you. I just got carried away,” I sighed. “You still hate me don’t you?”
“Of course not, Marissa,” he replied. “It doesn’t matter, I guess. Jen and I are through.” I hugged him carefully. I didn’t want to go to fast.
“Well, we could always –“I started. “Nevermind.”
“What is it?” Skylar asked.
“Well it’s just that I still like you, and I don’t know how you feel,” I replied, batting my eyes. I could practically feel his desire. He wanted me and I knew it. No amount of heartbreak could stop me.
“I can’t say I feel the same,” Skylar responded, monotonously. “Not after tonight. Not ever.”
“But-“I said.
“Save it,” he laughed sadly. “You can have any other guy you want, so go play your sick little games with them. Just leave me alone.” With that said, Skylar left. Hadn’t I felt his desire? He wanted me! I knew it! He had too, no one ever refused me! I would find him. I’ll try everything, I thought, he has to fall for me. Then once he does I’ll dump him hard, just like every other guy.
I got up off the bed. Maybe I had failed tonight, but soon I would find him while he was already down. I would break his fragile little heart. I grinned. I would really enjoy this one. My greatest challenge yet. I wouldn’t fail. I never do. I would just have to wait until the time was right.
I strode down the steps, smiling as my other little projects stared covetously at me. Beaming, I strode towards my car. I didn’t have time to waste with these fools. Skylar would fall for me. He would fall hard. I would make sure to make our break-up extra painful. He was actually making me work. I drove away. I needed my sleep. Tomorrow was going to be a very busy day.
Hermione, shut your ungodly, lopsided mouth and quit interrupting! 20 points from Gryffindor. You know, for the brightest witch of your age you can sure be a dumba** sometimes. *smiles* 10 points to Dumbledore!

~A Very Potter Musical - Dumbledore

356 Reviews

Reviews: 356
Sat Apr 25, 2009 11:30 pm
*writewatiwant* says...

Hi Tiger! Kat's here as requested! :D
Now, nit-picks:
“Hey Marissa,” Brian said, walking towards me. Hmm, I thought, it looks like we have a bit of bait. I smiled at him, sliding my arms up his back and around his neck.

I believe you should have put her thoughts in italic.

“How are you Skylar?” I asked, my blue eyes seductive.

there's a comma missing after 'you', and I also believe there's a word missing between the 'I asked' and the end of the sentence. Or just reword like: "I asked, seductively." Or something.

Good, I thought.

Again, put her thoughts in italic. If it appears again, I'll not mention it.

Its cooler out on the deck, besides it’s so incredibly beautiful under the stars. Romantic even.” I hid my smirk. I could feel his gaze on me.

'Its' should be 'It's'. Cut the first comma for a period. Cut the period after 'even' for a comma.

“It is beautiful out, wouldn’t you say?”

Isn't there a 'here' missing after out?

He tensed up, but finally started to relax.

This is a bit confusing. Maybe try like: 'A few moments later, he started to relax', or something like that.

This is what I had been working for.

Wrong tense alert! 'is' should be 'was'.

“I know. To her you’re just some sort of price, but I really care about you. I just got carried away,” I sighed. “You still hate me don’t you?”

There's a comma missing after 'To her' and after 'hate me'.

I got up off the bed. Maybe I had failed tonight, but soon I would find him while he was already down. I would break his fragile little heart. I grinned. I would really enjoy this one. My greatest challenge yet. I wouldn’t fail. I never do. I would just have to wait until the time was right.

All I could read her was I, I and I. Try to connect the sentences a bit more, and cut a bit on those I's.

Overall: I actually enjoyed it. We can get a lot from the characters in this. I can see Melissa is proud, cocky and selfish. This was quite good. The emotion and imagery are good. You have a good description of the action, which is good. Keep it up! :wink:

*Kat*
PM me if you need anything, or stop by my WRFF thread again!
Piglet: How do you spell love?
Pooh: You don't spell it. You feel it.

The Buddy System Check us out!

194 Reviews

Reviews: 194
Sun Apr 26, 2009 2:13 am
Sela Locke says...

Hel-lo. My name is Sela Locke and I will be your -- oh, I hate saying that. Hi. Call me Sela, won't you? (Nitpicks first!)

"How are you, Skylar?" I asked, my blue eyes seductive.

Writewatiwant was right about that first comma in the dialogue, but as for the part in bold, I write sentences like that all the time, and they don't look/seem fragmented at all to me. So if you don't want to change that part, don't worry about it. ^_^

It's cooler out on the deck, besides it’s so incredibly beautiful under the stars. Romantic even.” I hid my smirk.

Again, the period at the end of your dialogue here should stay, although Writewatiwant says it should be changed to a comma. It would grammatically incorrect for it to be like, "Romantic even," I hid my smirk. So leave that the way it is, too. ; )

My hips started to sway with the beat. I was dancing alone, but from the stares I was receiving, I had a feeling I wasn’t going to be alone for long. [s]It was a party. My good friend Jennifer’s party, and I was going to have a little fun.[/s]

The part that's struck out is all telling; we're not stupid, we can figure out it's a party without her telling us so bluntly, so get rid of it, yes?

I would make sure to make our break-up extra painful. He was actually making me work

Make, make, and make. That messes up the flow, all the repetition. I would be sure to make break-up extra painful. He was actually forcing me to work, might sound better.

ALL OVER

MM'kay. I've actually had ideas like this before, only opposite. Like, the guy who's slept with every girl in the school except this one, and she's a prude, and he has to seduce her. I didn't ever actually write it -- not because I didn't want to, but honestly, it seemed like a waste of any talent I might possess.

That's kind of what this is. You have a unique style, good grammar and fine spelling, and in my opinion, you can write better than a girl trying to get a guy to sleep with her. What about dinosaurs and wizards and talking rabbits? What about crazy pug dogs and funny actors with shabby clothes? I bet they're disappointed you picked this over them.

Anyways, there's my opinion. I do like the story, although I think I'd like your writing even better if you were writing about things sans evil sluts and stupid boys.

See y'around. ; )

-SELA
Well, I can't eat muffins in an agitated manner. The butter would probably get on my cuffs. One should always eat muffins quite calmly. It is the only way to eat them.

--Algernon, The Importance of Being Earnest

54 Reviews

Sun Apr 26, 2009 5:16 am
WhiteTiger93 says...

Ha! I seriously laughed when I read the ending. So true, though (: Stupid sluts, clouding my judgement. (; This was actually for a twisted love contest. I honestly had no other idea for it and the deadline was coming up. Pressure! (: Anyway I thought this was as twisted as it gets. (: I think both of your reviews are fantastic and thanks!

~Nicole
Hermione, shut your ungodly, lopsided mouth and quit interrupting! 20 points from Gryffindor. You know, for the brightest witch of your age you can sure be a dumba** sometimes. *smiles* 10 points to Dumbledore!

233 Reviews

Reviews: 233
Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:33 am
Pippiedooda says...

Hello! :) Thanks for posting in my WRFF thread, I always love to read your work! :D I agree with the comments before me but here are some more nitpicks from me ;)

I laughed. I knew the guys really wanted me and I was only playing it up. Though, tonight, I was only after one.

I'd maybe try not to repeat 'only' here, maybe you could change the second one to something like 'just' :)

He nodded slightly. My body moved with his. I enjoyed the feel of his hands on my waist.

I'd perhaps add something between him nodding and her body moving with his to show her response or when they start to dance, maybe something about her smiling and leaning closer against him?

I whispered, knowing I really wasn’t.

I'm not sure but maybe 'wouldn't be' would be better here than 'wasn't'.

Even though the music was blaring in our ears, I still knew he heard me.

This sentence is fine but I think it could be rephrased a little, I'd leave out 'still' before 'knew' and perhaps 'despite' would be better here than 'even though' and leaving out 'was' after 'music'. So something like this 'Despite the music blaring in our ears, I knew he heard me.'

I hid my smirk. I could feel his gaze on me.

I thought she was looking at him so she would see his gaze? If she has turned her face away slightly to hide her smirk I'd maybe add that in and that way it would make more sense for her to feel his gaze. If not, then maybe something about even feeling his gaze as it ran down her body would make more sense as then it could still mean that she was looking at him but also that the gaze was so intense that she could actually feel it.

I led the way through the back door. I could still feel the music’s thump under my feet. I turned to Skylar.

I think you could join the first two sentences then add a bit more to the last one so that you are first describing what it was like when she led him out the door and then saying they were outside, for instance 'I led the way through the back door, feeling the music's thump beneath my feet. Once outside I turned to Skylar.'

I felt my hips brush up against his jeans.

As she would be doing this I'm not sure about saying 'felt', perhaps something about her moving closer against him so that her hips brushed up against his jeans?

He followed me, his desire stronger than any other emotion. Well, that just wouldn’t cut it tonight. I wanted him to forget everything. Everything except me.

If his desire is stronger than any of his other emotions then wouldn't that be what she would want? But then she says that wouldn't cut it, so I was kind of confused here. Maybe saying something about his desire not yet overruling his other emotions would fit in more with what she would be thinking.

all other emotions faded.

As you have just said 'emotions' I'd maybe use something like 'thoughts' or 'feelings' or just 'everything else faded', I'd maybe add 'away' or 'into the background' after 'faded' too :)

I pulled his shirt up and felt his bare skin with my hand. I saw a light shine on in the room and looked up, distracted.

I'd separate these two actions a bit so that the light coming on is more of a shock, perhaps something about it being more abrupt like 'But then a light flashed on and I looked up distracted.'

She may be my friend but it doesn’t mean I have to give up Skylar just because they were dating now.

I think 'were dating' might sound better as 'are dating' or 'they're dating' to fit in with the rest of the tense.

To her you’re just some sort of price

do you mean prize? That might be a better replacement here as it is a more commonly used term.

I didn’t want to go to fast.

'to fast' should be 'too fast' I think :)

I got up off the bed. Maybe I had failed tonight, but soon I would find him while he was already down.

I'd maybe change 'got' to show how she got off the bed, like 'I pushed my self up off the bed' or 'I slid off the bed' just so there is more description on the action. I didn't really understand the last part about 'already down', if you mean something about him being unsuspecting or his defences down, I'd change it a bit to something like 'Maybe I had failed tonight, but soon I would find him when his defences are low.' or 'when he is least expecting it' or something similar.

I strode down the steps, smiling as my other little projects stared covetously at me. Beaming, I strode towards my car.

You repeat 'strode' here, I'd maybe change one to something like 'I made my way' as the reader will already know how they are making their way from the previous sentence :)

Overall: This was a good story! Kind of disturbing but well written and I think a good piece for the contest you are entering :)

I thought your writing was good throughout this and my nitpicks are only if I am being super picky :P There are just a couple of areas I think could be a little improved on- when they are in the club I didn't get much of a sense of what it was like. I thought it was good how you commented on the music but maybe something on the surrounding people, the dancing, the stuffy atmosphere or things like that would better set the scene. The first boy, Brian, I think could do with a bit more description as to how he is responding to her and his expression as I didn't really get how he felt about her flirting. You could also use this part to describe the party a bit more, perhaps instead of saying 'said' and 'asked' in their conversation you could say something about having to call over the music or when he is walking he could be weaving through a few dancing couples.

When they go outside, it's kind of brief and then they go back inside. Maybe it would be easier to stay in the house and either go into the hallway or a corner or straight up to the bedroom so there is not as much moving around? Just a suggestion though :) I also think you could add just a bit more to describe Skylar's reaction at first when his girlfriend comes in and also when she tries to make him feel sorry for her, I'd like to know some more on what he is thinking. You do well in getting across the main characters point of view, I agree with writewatiwant though in that I think you should put her thoughts into italics.

Well I thought this was a great story and good luck in the contest! Hope I've helped and as always all comments are just suggestions! :D *star*
"Your mother is a hamster and your father smells of elderberries"
-Monty Python and The Holy Grail

9 Reviews

Reviews: 9
Mon May 04, 2009 4:33 am
nevermore says...

Good Day! I definitely liked what you have written. I just wanted to critique a little and give some pointers...

My hips started to sway with the beat.

Don't have your characters "begin to do something," "try to do something," and so forth. Just have them do it. For instance, "My hips swayed with the beat" or "My hips were swaying to the rhythm of the beat", would be better.

“Hey Marissa,” Brian said, walking towards me.

Change "towards" to "toward" to reduce wordiness just as "stooped down" to "stooped", "rose up" to "rose", penetrated through" to "penetrated", "in the event that" to "if", "caught sight of" to "saw" etc....

“Wanna dance?” I asked, batting my eyelashes.

I notice some writers seem to dislike using "said" and try to replace the word "said" with words like commanded, remarked, uttered, began, etc. Perhaps they feel that too many "saids" stick out. However, you don't have to be afraid of using too many "saids." In fact, it is much worse to try substitutions. The best writers use "said" almost all the time and let the dialog convey the meaning.

In accordance to what I have quoted, "'Wanna dance?' I said, batting my eyelashes." would be better. The word "asked" is an unnecessary distraction. In any case, it's obvious that the statement is a question. When readers read "said", their eyes barely pause. The "said" goes almost unnoticed.

Brian’s face seemed to crumple as he looked from the exit to me. Anna was crying, dashing for the exit.

Avoid excessive "as he" constructs. "Brian seemed to crumple as he looked from the exit to me". Change to: "Brian seemed to crumple, looking from the exit to me". Anyway, you did well on the next sentence.

Its cooler out on the deck, besides it’s so incredibly beautiful under the stars.

"Its" must be "it's". Maybe it's just a typographical error. Also, "besides" must be "beside" to reduce wordiness, again.

I really liked you. Since I first moved a year ago and when Jennifer told me that you were her’s I backed off, “ I said.

It's a bit confusing. Better yet, to rephrase it. "I really liked you since I first moved a year ago. But when Jennifer told me that you were hers (not her's), I backed off." I said. You must have also stated why you liked him to add a little spice.

I really understand your point. It was great. The story ran smoothly. At any rate, you must not forget the following:

1. Do not rush the scene
2. Involve all senses
3. Show no tell

Have a good day!

54 Reviews

Wed May 06, 2009 1:44 am
WhiteTiger93 says...

Thanks everyone. Your reveiws were fantastic. So I'll give you each a thought.

Write - You're right. I forgot to put her thoughts in italics. Stupid mistake! Thanks, and I'll loosen up with all the I's I had in there. (:

Sela - I'll try not to write about sluts anymore (; I think sluts are about as twisted as you can get, hence the Twisted love contest. Thanks for telling me that you liked my writing though. (:

Pippie - I always love your reveiws. They are 100% dead on and always descriptive. Oh and *blushes* Thanks for syaing you like to review my writing. That means a lot. I love compliments as much as I love critiques. (:Oh and thanks for the star!

Never - You're review was just as good. You caught things the others didn't even though you're the last reveiwer. Thanks for taking the time to point those out. I'm seriously going to go and revise this baby soon.

Thanks to all! (:

Random avatar

Reviews: 4
Fri May 15, 2009 6:32 pm
Steev The Purple Raccoon says...

Hey!
I thought that this was a very interesting story, but there was one part that confused me.

I saw a light shine on in the room and looked up, distracted.
“Marissa!” Jennifer yelled. “How could you possibly even think about doing this?”

When did jennifer come in? was she the light in the room? what made the light?
Overall, I found this story very interesting and I want to read more of your work.
Thanks for writing!

83 Reviews

Reviews: 83
Wed May 20, 2009 2:36 pm
*singerofthenight* says...

Is there a sequel to this? Please tell me there is!!!! If so please post it!
"Hello, is this thing on?"

Random avatar

Reviews: 2
Fri May 22, 2009 10:43 pm
Kait says...

This was craaaaazy good, completely breath-taking.
I have an old friend that kind of reminded me of the main character, so I could relate to the friend in a way.
I love how you put the characters in a real-life situation that happens often to teenagers. I'm not going to say that you did anything wrong, because, truthfully, I'm a new writer, and I really have no idea WHAT you did wrong at all.

Overall, I am very interested in your work. Make sure that you PM me if you do anything new like this.
Oh, and make a part two! (:

"Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon."
— Paul Brandt