Perfect is just a word,
but it causes so much pain.
Pressure, yet another
that I look on with disdain.
Despondent, I criticize myself,
because I'm not good enough.
When, oh when, will I be able
to unlock my pressuring cuff?

Does anyone think this sounds better? I took suggestions from both the comments, and I like it better. :)
Last edited by Musicaloo7311 on Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:22 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Click-ity click! Reviews here. :)
The Completely Evil Plan.

"You treat me badly; I love you madly."
Formerly known as music_lover_7311.

16 Reviews

Reviews: 16
Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:55 am
Myrcei says...

Perfect is just a word,
But it causes so much pain.
Pressure, yet another word
That I look on with disdain.
Aching, I criticize myself,
Because I am not good enough.
When, oh when will I be able
To unlock my pressuring cuff?

I really enjoyed this.
It's the kind of poem that I want to cup into my hands, because I can relate to it so well and it uses so little words to perfectly describe an idea. I really liked it. :D

I guess I should say a few critical marks now:
still they're more of suggestions
on this line:
'Pressure, yet another word'---you take out the 'word' at the end, instead of repeating it from the first line.

And I can't put my finger on why, but I thought this sentence 'Because I am not good enough'
was sort of awkward with the feel of the rest of the poem and the word 'aching' in that line may not have been the right or could've been replaced with a stronger one.

That's all I got. Again, excellent poem!:D I'll star you (if I can figure out how.) LOL.
"Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes.
Art is knowing which ones to keep."
---Scott Adams

8 Reviews

Reviews: 8
Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:56 am
PirateP says...

Hi, great poem by the way. Pretty much somes up the life of a teenager! :wink:

You could replace "Aching" with "Despondent"; but I think you'd probably want to change "I am" on the next line to "I'm" to make it fit, so I'm not too sure.

You could maybe also, on the seventh line, put a comma after "oh when" (When, oh when, will I be able) so it reads slower - giving the ending more effect.

Other than that though it's a great poem. Maybe you could expand it and make it longer?

Sorry if the reviews not that great - it's my first one!

263 Reviews

Reviews: 263
Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:31 pm
Angels-Symphony says...

music_lover_7311 wrote:Perfect is just a word,
Pressure, yet another word
Aching, I criticize myself,
Because I am not good enough.

EDIT:

Perfect is just a word,
Pressure, yet another
Despondent, I criticize myself,
Because I'm not good enough.

Does anyone think this sounds better? I took suggestions from both the comments, and I like it better. :)

Hey Music ^^ Shina here. I think the edit does sound better. I think the only error you have is capitalizing the first letter in each line. You only capitalize it if it's the beginning of a sentence. Make sure you fix that.

Overall idea of the poem. It definitely sounds poetic, the true meaning not surfacing itself, rather, being mysterious. It's pretty good, but it's a bit brief for me. It's sort of too quick to explain everything. Remember that when you write with a few words that those few words can say all that's on your mind. That's all I have to say for you! Keep it up ;)
You cannot dream yourself into a character; you must hammer and forge yourself into one.

The writer, when he is also an artist, is someone who admits what others don't dare reveal.

30 Reviews

Reviews: 30
Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:40 pm
queenb4ever says...

I think both are very lovely. You carefully chose your words and the poem wasn't so long that it lost it's point. My favorite thing about it was it's tone.
Yum=Chinese Food

52 Reviews

Reviews: 52
Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:43 pm
chipsandguacamollie says...

I think the edited version does flow better. It is simple and to the point, but well written too. You can immediately relate to the subject of the poem, the pressure to be perfect, or close, and it is easy to understand. Nice job!
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

-Bilbo Baggins, The Fellowship of the Ring, J. R. R. Tolkien

356 Reviews

Reviews: 356
Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:16 pm
*writewatiwant* says...

Hey there Music! I won't be much of a help on this one.
I only have one suggestion: turn perfect to perfection. I think it flows better.

Sorry, it's short. And not helpful...

Anyway, see ya!

*Kat*
Last edited by *writewatiwant* on Sat May 09, 2009 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Piglet: How do you spell love?
Pooh: You don't spell it. You feel it.

The Buddy System Check us out!

38 Reviews

Reviews: 38
Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:33 pm
cassie17 says...

Hi! I do like the edit much better. I only have one problem and it's with the last line:

to unlock my pressuring cuff?

Mostly, I don't like the word "pressuring". It throws off the flow of the poem. Also, you use, basically, two things in the central idea of this piece: perfection and pressure. However, you picked a word that summed up only the "pressure" part--try a different word here that is more meaningful to both pressure and perfection.

Other than that, this was good! Simple, short, flowed nicely. The ideas were so true, great job on that.

-Cassie
"You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." Mark Twain

I am hopelessly addicted to Disney music from the classic animated films.

"In a world of my own, everyone would have a dozen bluebirds."

38 Reviews

Reviews: 38
Sat May 09, 2009 6:23 pm
Erica says...

I think the edit is better, the flow of it is smoother and it isn't repetive.
No nit-picks. It is very nice and has great meaning. well done.
well behaved women rarley make history.

206 Reviews

Reviews: 206
Sun May 10, 2009 3:08 am
Lil_Pau says...

Hey there!

I thought that although this was rather simple, you managed to convey the message well and also, it's something that everyone can relate to.

Between the two poems, I think I also like the edit better than the original. It sounds much better and the flow is smoother (like erica mentioned above).

I'm looking forward to more! Good work, keep it up! ^^
Hope for the best, but prepare for the worst.

7 Reviews

Reviews: 7
Sun May 10, 2009 4:43 pm
corey_hillis says...

Hey!

I thought this was an excellent short poem. Just one thing I saw wrong witht the first oen and you fixed that in the second one so i won't mention it. The only thing that bugs me just a little was the last line.

"To unlock my pressuring cuff?"

I think it sounds a little akward. It may just be me though because no one else seems to think so. *shrugs* Well, keep up the awesome work and hope to see more of your writings.

No one is perfect; not even your reflection.
— Chalkboard Words