z

Young Writers Society

It's Never Over (chapter 2)

196 Reviews

Reviews: 196
Mon Mar 24, 2008 3:28 am
OverEasy says...

A few things you will notice about my writing. 1) At first generally I want you to be confused. 2) I love flashbacks, they make my heart happy. 3) I tend to start in the middle of a story, and through a mixture of flashbacks, stories told, and dreams, I want you to figure out the past

If this bothers you I apologize I guess it’s just my writing style.

It’s Never Over

Chapter Two

I walked to the lunch room later that day and searched the busy room for Baylee or the guys. That’s the thing about the people I hang out with, generally girls don’t fit in. I had known most of them since I was just a kid, so I fit in just fine. Baylee, that was a different story. She was wild and crazy, always up for a good party. Nothing like me, I preferred to be at the trailer with Becker. A few good friends hanging around me, and I was happy. Whenever I got shoved into a large group of people I felt claustrophobic, if I stayed like that for too long I’d get a headache. And I really hated headaches.

I found Baylee before long and she waved me over. I made my way through the crowd of people, avoiding contact if I could. I had some serious issues with people I didn’t know touching me; I guess I just liked my personal space.

The voices of the crowd roared around me, making me grit my teeth in effort not to scream. I made my way to Baylee as quickly as I could and took a seat next to her.

I grinned at Rex and Ollie, noticing that they were staring at me with knowing looks on their faces. “What?” I asked.

“Someone got laid this weekend.” Rex said, a goofy smile spreading across his features.

“Oh shut up.”

“So Becker’s back and he didn’t even call us?” Ollie asked, almost sounding a little hurt. Ollie was the baby of the group, he was a sophomore that year, and had started hanging out with us his freshman year. Out of all of the guys he was by far the sweetest, and after time he won my heart, in the little-brother-sense of course.

“Sorry Ollie, we needed a little alone time. Why don’t you guys all come over tonight?” I said, lightly ruffling his hair.

I watched his face light up and had to laugh, the kid was sweet that was for sure.

Baylee tugged my arm. “Speaking of alone time, what happened Saturday?”

“Jeez Baylee, pushy much?” I said through a giggle.

“There hasn’t been this much excitement in my life for a long time. Humor me?”

I shook my head. “Well I woke up Saturday morning almost thinking the night before had been a dream. Then it all came back to me, the smell, the bed, the lumpy pillow, and I knew he was really back.”

I rolled over in Becker’s arms and realized he was already awake. His long black hair mussed from sleep and his dark brown eyes watching me curiously. “Good morning, sunshine.” He said quietly.

I thought back to the night before, and the happiness that bubbled inside me after realizing he was ok. That happiness had turned to something else now, something far more sinister. I leaned forward with a jerk and wrapped my arms around my legs to think for a moment. I was angry with him when he was gone, for not calling, for not telling me everything was going to be ok. I was furious that he was so inconsiderate.

I felt his hand come up and rub my back, but I pulled away quickly as tears started to pool in my eyes.

“What’s wrong baby.” He asked seriously.

I turned around and faced him, before I could stop myself my hand came up and slapped him. His face turned with the force of the blow.

“I suppose I deserved that.” He said while rubbing his cheek.

“You suppose? You suppose you deserve that? Becker it’s been five months three weeks and six days! I didn’t know if you were alive or dead or anything!” I yelled. “You never even called me.” My voice was quieter now, as I was starting to calm down.

“I know, I’m so sorry Scar, I wanted to call. Everyday I wanted to call. But I couldn’t let you know where I was.”

“I would have come with you.” I whispered.

“I know, but I didn’t want to do that to you.” He pressed a kiss to my cheek and wrapped his arms around me. I thought about pulling away from him but the comfort he gave was too good for me to let it go.

“What you did was so unfair though. You just left, leaving a note like that was going to make me feel better. But I didn’t feel better, Landen died and three days later you just took off.” I felt him shudder against me as I mentioned Landen’s name. “I’m sorry, Becker. I shouldn’t have said that.”

“No, I deserved that.” He said sadly.

“You didn’t.” I pulled him closer to me, wrapping myself in his body. His fingers tangled in my hair and he pulled my lips to his. And for the first time in five months, three weeks and six days, we made love.

I looked up from my story to find Rex, Baylee, and Ollie staring at me. I suppose I must have looked sort of dreamy or something. That quiet smile in my eyes showing exactly how much it meant to me.

I was not ashamed of my sexual life, to me there was nothing wrong with having sex with the one that you loved, and I had never had issue talking about it. No, I wasn’t going to go into detains, those were private to me, but it’s not like my friends didn’t know what was going on. Why hide it?

“What?” I asked finally.

“You hit him?” Baylee said, breaking the silence with her laughter.

“Well… I was angry.” I said sheepishly.

Ollie smiled a little and Rex burst out laughing. “You really are something else Scar.”

I grinned at them; all I could think was that everything seemed right.
Life is for living.

378 Reviews

Reviews: 378
Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:42 pm
sokool15 says...

This looks really good, but where is chapter one??? Pm me a link (if there is one) and I'll read it. I realize you said you wanted us to be confused but perhaps it would be a little LESS confusing if there was a chapter one?

Don't apologize for your writing style! You're expressing yourself, and if other people don't like that, it's their problem not yours. But you have a beautiful style. I'll be happy to do a much more detailed critique, if only I can read chapter one first.

Hope to talk to you soon!

~MademoiselleKool
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
~Albert Einstein

378 Reviews

Reviews: 378
Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:46 pm
sokool15 says...

Here I am again! Ignore my other post, this is the real one. :)

Well, maybe it's just me, but this really wasn't that confusing. Sure, I don't know all the details of the story yet, but you shouldn't after only two chapters. Flashbacks happen in a lot of novels I read, and they usually clarify, not confuse.

As to specifics - I recognize, of course, your characterization of Ollie as the baby of the group, but you portrayed him as a little too juvenile. I was a sophomore not that long ago, and if someone had treated me that patronizingly I would have keel-hauled her. Also, his eyes lighting up and everything...I don't know. You get what I'm saying, right?

A recurring problem throughout this chapter seemed to be sentence length. You had some sentence-fragments, and some run-ons, and you seem to be having a little trouble with where and when to put your commas. This isn't something specific, it's just a general problem. You didn't have it in the first chapter, so I won't bother to point them out. Just be careful!

Anyway, keep it up, and start to let bits of your intriguing storyline come out.

~MademoiselleKool 8)
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
~Albert Einstein

110 Reviews

Reviews: 110
Sun Mar 30, 2008 7:59 pm
TNCowgirl says...

I like d it. REally good. Really well written and it worked. So good job. :D

It was easy to read and it kept my interest. I understand her getting mad once it really hit her that he was really there. So good job on that.
"And you wonder why we don't like you!" -Trumpkin
Vist my world and make it bigger!
Want a Readers crit???

The thing about plummeting downhill at fifty miles an hour on a snack platter - if you realize it's a bad idea when you're halfway down, it's too late.
— Rick Riordan, The Son of Neptune