User avatar

smaur

  • Writing Tips Re: Nuancing Dialogue: Grammar + You

    First writing tip. Here we go. Now, this is for all of you crazy kids who think grammar can't help you stylistically, that a comma's just a comma, and you ...

    Jan 15, 2007
  • Writing Tips Re: Prolonging Romance?

    I ditto Snoink re: the classic misunderstanding scenario, and not doing it. I hate the misunderstanding thingy. If these two people really like/love each other, they should be able to, ...

    Jan 5, 2007
  • Writing Tips Re: Praise vs. Encouragement

    To add my $0.02 to this whole "why should I be positive?" thing: I don't understand why there is a "should" and "shouldn't". I think if people want to critique ...

    Dec 13, 2006
  • Writing Tips Re: Taking Age Into Account When Reviewing

    I don't entirely agree with this, mostly because when I was writing in that preteen stage, it frustrated me when people responded like that. And, yeah, it still bothers me. ...

    Dec 6, 2006
  • Writing Tips Re: Query Letter

    If you're interested in writing an articulate and engaging query letter, check out Evil Editor and Miss Snark , both of whom critique query letters on a regular basis. (And ...

    Dec 3, 2006
  • Writing Tips Re: Critiquing Critiques

    I'm a little more hesitant to say that, lol, mostly because that arguing, if done constructively, can help the writer immensely. Arguing doesn't have to be of anger, and by ...

    Nov 30, 2006
  • Writing Tips Re: "The Real World"

    Haha. Everyone knows I write. Everyone . And most people have seen some form of my writing — friends and family.

    Oct 1, 2006
  • Writing Tips Re: Not Some Hitchcock Geese

    Hah! Wash's geese-juggling thing, of course. Was that from one of the episodes with Saffron/Yolanda/whatever, or am I crazy?

    Aug 28, 2006
  • Writing Tips Re: How to Enjoy Your Geek Moments

    Stop complaining about school so much and frolic in your adolescence! Yay! Finally someone says it. I believe the words I am searching for are: holy monkey on a unicycle, ...

    Aug 28, 2006
  • Writing Tips Re: How to critique poetry

    Okay, I don't critique poetry, but I do critique fiction line-by-line. And yes, it's a quid-pro-quo thing, although not quite the way you meant it. I critique that way because ...

    Aug 26, 2006
  • Writing Tips Re: Writely

    Oooh. It's very pretty. I'm kind of tempted to use it, but Wordpad's been good to me so far...

    Aug 25, 2006
  • Writing Tips Re: Dictionary.com sold out! Now what?? I need new writing tool

    I'm still going to use when I need it, mostly because I've been to worse sites, and their site(s) is/are still pretty accessible. Despite the clutter. But is probably your ...

    Aug 25, 2006
  • Writing Tips Re: On the Evils of Description

    I concede to Smaur. [s]Everyone always does[/s]. I MEAN. Um. Look, behind you! A tree!

    Aug 25, 2006
  • Writing Tips Re: BEARISH!

    Bear hug: 3, Bearish: 0. Obviously, we're the winning team. :P

    Aug 24, 2006
  • Writing Tips Re: How to Avoid Sex Scenes

    Yes, fade-out is an option, but there are non-kinky, realistic sex scenes out there. Well-written ones. And, yes, there are sex scenes in literary works . (Good literary works, at ...

    Aug 24, 2006


That's how we should measure our lives. Not in distance traveled, or time passed, or worlds conquered, but in moments... and the rush of joy—of grace—that exists within them.
— Megatron (Lost Light, by Roberts, Lawrence, Lafuente)