User avatar

smaur

  • Writing Tips Re: POV question

    Of course you can do it — it's your novel, you can pretty much do anything you want. It's kind of a matter of taste, and how well you incorporate ...

    Apr 20, 2009
  • Writers Corner Re: I've been working on the same novel for four years!

    I don't know if this is still an issue or if you've figured out a way to resolve it, but things to consider: - Find a couple of people who ...

    Apr 15, 2009
  • Writing Tips Re: How do I, branch out?

    It definitely helps to immerse yourself in different genres and styles. You can find heaps of book / story recommendations both here and everywhere else on the internet — it ...

    Apr 15, 2009
  • Writing Tips Re: Internal monologue overload

    I second Eimear's opinion, but instead of an internal "monologue", maybe condense it to one or two short sentences of thought that suggest she is thinking the complete opposite? Something ...

    Apr 15, 2009
  • Writing Tips Re: Did I format this right?

    Celtx is essentially the same as Final Draft, only free. You might want to put your descriptions in caps or something so you can differentiate it from other things. Um...don't ...

    Apr 3, 2009
  • Writing Tips Re: Did I format this right?

    I skimmed through your screenplay quickly, and the formatting looks about right. The only thing to note is that in the description of the action (i.e. the non-dialogue bits), you ...

    Mar 31, 2009
  • Writing Tips Re: I need some heroines!!!

    Elizabeth I was pretty awesome. So was her sister: Mary, Queen of Scots. I agree with the "Elizabeth I was pretty awesome" part. However, her sister was not Mary, Queen ...

    Mar 26, 2009
  • Writing Tips Re: I need some heroines!!!

    Mary Read and Anne Bonney were female pirates, which is kind of nifty (they were two of many, but they're pretty notorious, as far as notorious goes). Elizabeth I was ...

    Mar 25, 2009
  • Writing Tips Re: Harassment: Good or Bad?

    So how do you guys feel about being harassed by friends/writers/both to keep on writing? Is it better if they ask about your progress? Does it help you? Does it ...

    Mar 10, 2009
  • Writing Tips Re: Best Piece of Advice

    This really helped me about ten or so years ago: Make time to write. Especially the busier your life gets — you keep making excuses and keep promising yourself that ...

    Mar 1, 2009
  • Writing Tips Re: ugh help me please

    - Change the POV? If it's from one character, do it from another; if you're telling it in first person, change it to third person. - I don't know if ...

    Feb 15, 2009
  • Writing Tips Re: how not to get published

    This guys insane. There's more than one publishing company, guy! You don't harrass one that tells you no! Apparently, this guy had sent a similar response to a number of ...

    May 6, 2008
  • Writing Tips Re: how not to get published

    Or, how to anger the writing/publishing community at large: (I thought this would be vaguely amusing/horrifying for some of you.)

    May 5, 2008
  • Writing Tips Re: I want advice to start writing well before it's too late!

    Write something you want to write. Write about something you find interesting. Write about something that will hold your attention for long amounts of time. Take the story where you ...

    Feb 13, 2007
  • Writing Tips Re: The Question of Fragments

    Hehh. Well, haha, obviously I think fragments are acceptable to writing. This is the way I see it: I love grammar, and I am obsessive about the right grammar, and ...

    Jan 25, 2007


Be careful or be roadkill.
— Calvin