User avatar

smaur

  • NovMo Archives Re: NaNoEdMo?

    For a lot of people, NaNoFiMo isn't something they set out to do. Which is to say, they go for 50 000 words in Nanowrimo and then (for whatever reason) ...

    Oct 26, 2006
  • Fiction Discussion Re: Quote of the Week

    Haha. I figured last week's quote was a potentially touchy one. ;)

    Oct 21, 2006
  • Fiction Discussion Re: Education of a Writer

    Yeah, I've been more or less harbouring the same sentiment for a long time. Plus: an English major means nothing now, if it ever did before. Or it doesn't really ...

    Oct 21, 2006
  • Fiction Discussion Re: Question... Novella vs. Novellete

    Hah, clarification. According to Wikipedia : A novelette (or novelet) is a piece of short prose fiction. The distinction of novelette compared to other literary forms, like a novella, is ...

    Sep 1, 2006
  • Fiction Discussion Re: Question... Novella vs. Novellete

    They're synonymous.

    Aug 31, 2006
  • Fiction Discussion Re: Where do you get your ideas from?

    So at some point, the majority of people who write stories are asked this question, and the majority of this majority can't really explain where they get ideas for stories. ...

    Aug 29, 2006
  • Fiction Discussion Re: What are you reading at the moment?

    Jane Austen's Emma and The Virgin Suicides . Possibly a handful of others, but I can't think of them at the moment.

    Aug 25, 2006
  • Media Reviews Re: Wild Magic by Tamora Pierce

    I try to like Tamora Pierce — I really do. The problem is that she limits herself so much and restricts herself to very narrow plots and refuses to explore. ...

    Aug 20, 2006
  • Fiction Discussion Re: What are you reading at the moment?

    I just put down the book I was reading and picked up New Moon by Stephenie Meyer (Advanced Reader's Copy in Stores October 2006). Oh, yay — I love advance ...

    May 8, 2006
  • Fiction Discussion Re: Am I the only one who is in love with adult romances?

    I will (and do) read any genre, and that includes romance/chick lit. Which means, yes, I've read those crappy Harlequin novels, and enough chick lit to keep me over-fluffed well ...

    May 5, 2006
  • Fiction Discussion Re: What are you reading at the moment?

    I just finished Juliet Marillier's Son of the Shadows , despite the incredible urge to crack it against a wall. Ugh. Right now, I'm going to start They Came to ...

    Apr 29, 2006
  • Fiction Discussion Re: what do you want in a critique?

    So — let's talk feedback. You post a story. What kind of response do you want? Do you want people to analyze your characters? Do you want grammatical errors fixed? ...

    Apr 14, 2006
  • Fiction Discussion Re: What are you reading at the moment?

    Yay, Perks of Being a Wallflower ! ... okay, right now? I just finished re-reading V For Vendetta , by Alan Moore, which is (thank goodness) five hundred times better ...

    Apr 7, 2006
  • NovMo Archives Re: NaNoEdMo?

    Duskglimmer >> Oy. Congratulations! I feel really weird. People on the NaNoEdMo forum were talking about how much they cut from thier novel and how they lost thousands of words. ...

    Apr 1, 2006
  • Fiction Discussion Re: Rereading books

    Éloeré >> Succinct and articulate. You summed it up pretty much perfectly. Thanks.

    Mar 26, 2006


Once you have read a book you care about, some part of it is always with you.
— Louis L'Amour