User avatar

smaur

  • Fiction Discussion Re: Favourite Book / Movie Titles

    I'm fairly horrific at titling stories / general works of any sort. Actually, really horrific. I'm not very good at determining what makes a fantastic title, either. I'm currently trying ...

    Jul 30, 2010
  • Fiction Discussion Re: What is your favorite atribute in a charcater?

    I'm a sucker for tragic characters and downward spirals. Not angst or whiny ones but people who are deeply flawed and (somewhat) well intentioned and find themselves hopelessly spiralling out ...

    Apr 21, 2009
  • Fiction Discussion Re: Fonts

    Veranda is love. But after thirteen years of Times New Roman hate, I'm starting to like it at size 11 pt. Or even 9 pt. The smaller it gets, the ...

    Apr 20, 2009
  • Fiction Discussion Re: Perfect Characters?

    It's hard to advance a story with a "perfect character". It's hard for your readers to empathize with someone who is ridiculously perfect. It's hard for their trials and tribulations ...

    Apr 20, 2009
  • Fiction Discussion Re: Would a character smoking in a novel bother you?

    A lot of people have said that it "has to fit the character's personality" for them to smoke, but I'm hard-pressed to look at my smoker-friends and see how their ...

    Apr 20, 2009
  • Media Reviews Re: Do these even exist?

    Okay, wracking my ever-failing memory for YA novels that I enjoyed as a teen: Scott Westerfeld's "Uglies" series is easy to breeze through — it's fun awesome sci-fi that is ...

    Apr 20, 2009
  • Writing Activities Re: Five Minute Writing Prompt #1

    This used to be a thing on the Nanowrimo forums — it's fun and short, and it gets the creative juices flowing. I post a word. You write something out ...

    Mar 11, 2009
  • Media Reviews Re: Worst Book You've Ever Read

    Dahlia >> I don't think people are sad/concerned that others dislike classics. If anything, that's kind of inevitable with any group of people. I think it's problematic though that people ...

    Mar 11, 2009
  • NovMo Archives Re: we came, we wrote, we failed

    I guess I should explain. I have 47 000 words to write in the next six days, and I am working basically every one of those days for almost the ...

    Nov 25, 2008
  • NovMo Archives Re: we came, we wrote, we failed

    To all of us who didn't make it: what happened? What went wrong? Bask in our collective failure!

    Nov 24, 2008
  • NovMo Archives Re: 20 minute word wars

    Start in five minutes?

    Nov 3, 2008
  • NovMo Archives Re: 20 minute word wars

    Is anyone up for a twenty-minute word war? I'm desperately behind on my wordcount and the Nanowrimo site is being terribly slow. In case any of yous don't know what ...

    Nov 3, 2008
  • NovMo Archives Re: Post your first NaNoWriMo sentence!

    When Aubrey was eight, she caught a soul in a jar. (Which is technically cheating, because I wrote that line last February. Oh well.)

    Nov 3, 2008
  • NovMo Archives Re: NaNo Blues

    Not so much the "blues", but ... I think I have to throw in the towel now. I'm way too behind on my wordcount, which wouldn't ordinarily be an issue. ...

    Nov 17, 2007
  • NovMo Archives Re: NanoWriMo Wordcount '07

    8023.

    Nov 5, 2007


You know what the big problem is in telling fantasy and reality apart? They're both ridiculous.
— The 12th Doctor