User avatar

smaur

  • Fantasy Novels Re: Possessing Maya (rewritten!) OLD

    Don't feel discouraged! It's a tricky thing, to streamline and edit and rewrite a work, and trickier still to get it to a level where it radiates perfection. (I certainly ...

    Aug 4, 2010
  • Fantasy Novels Re: Possessing Maya (rewritten!) OLD

    This is MUCH improved on the original. I still have a couple of points of contention, though: - The nature of Joshua and Parker's conflict is still fairly unclear to ...

    Aug 3, 2010
  • General Fiction Short Stories Re: No Sunlight

    It's interesting to talk about an abstraction in abstractions, which is sort of what you've done here. You write, "she is all smoke and mirrors," which is a way to ...

    Aug 3, 2010
  • General Fiction Short Stories Re: Shouting in the Dark

    I liked this a lot. Not as much as "Living is Easy", but it's still excellent stuff. I love your turns of phrases and use of images and all-round sharp ...

    Aug 3, 2010
  • General Fiction Novels Re: The Séance Revival (The Ouija Board)

    I like some of this, but not enough of it. You've got the beginnings of some nice characterization and the end of this installment shows us you can nail suspenseful ...

    Aug 3, 2010
  • General Fiction Short Stories Re: Katydid, Katydidn't

    I didn't even sort of get a serpent/Eve allegory from this story. Especially if that was the main function of this, to be a modern update of the myth. There's ...

    Aug 1, 2010
  • Scripts Re: Between "PILOT" part two

    Hey, A few quick notes. I don't want to thoroughly critique this because we're still obviously only partway through the pilot, but I thought I'd go over a few brief ...

    Aug 1, 2010
  • General Fiction Novels Re: Chapter One: Promising Death

    Hey, I think you may have an interesting premise, but it's hard to tell right now because your writing isn't really showcasing that story. The idea of a murderer attending ...

    Jul 31, 2010
  • Fantasy Short Stories Re: A Queen's Kidnapping

    Hey, I found this story impossible to buy into, charming though it may be. The problem for me is that this appears to be an absolute monarchy (correct me if ...

    Jul 30, 2010
  • General Fiction Novels Re: Carry Me Chapter 1

    You have some nicely rhythmic writing and some pretty turns of phrases, but that's really all that kept me going through this first chapter. Beyond style issues (which I'll get ...

    Jul 30, 2010
  • Fiction Discussion Re: Favourite Book / Movie Titles

    I'm fairly horrific at titling stories / general works of any sort. Actually, really horrific. I'm not very good at determining what makes a fantastic title, either. I'm currently trying ...

    Jul 30, 2010
  • Fantasy Novels Re: Unicorn Killers

    Dearest of Snoinks, it has been a very long time since I've read a piece by you, and this was the loveliest of re-introductions. This is fantastic stuff. A really ...

    Jul 28, 2010
  • General Fiction Short Stories Re: Living is Easy with Eyes Closed

    This is fantastic. I read it yesterday and didn't have an opportunity to comment, so here goes. Your writing is a lot stronger than I remembered it to be; you've ...

    Jul 26, 2010
  • General Fiction Short Stories Re: A Yellow Star

    It's hard to find fresh perspective on a time in history that is so thoroughly documented -- in literature and film as well in news articles and photographs and history ...

    Jul 24, 2010
  • Lounge, The Re: Do you think Harry Potter is the LotR of Low fantasy?

    I always find it infuriating that Lord of the Rings must be compared to Harry Potter, and vice versa. They're both deeply flawed but also fantastic in their own amazing ...

    Jul 24, 2010


It is most unlikely. But - here comes the big "but" - not impossible.
— Roald Dahl