User avatar

ankhirke

  • Writing Tips Re: Help Writing fight scenes please!!!

    It's the same as writing any other scene - you don't just list what happens, you try to make the reader feel what happens. It's showing rather than telling. More ...

    Dec 1, 2008
  • Writing Tips Re: How soon should magic be introduced?

    Just to echo the above - it's best to be introduced whenever it feels like it's best to be introduced. In my current fantasy project, I don't mention magic at ...

    Nov 29, 2008
  • Writing Tips Re: Help

    Baby name dictionary or, my personal favorite: . Awesome site. Lists meanings, famous bearers, has stats, and is completely searchable. As for SpecFic names, I tend to like coming up ...

    Nov 19, 2008
  • Writing Tips Re: Getting a story finished

    honestly, this is the reason I have about a couple dozen projects all going on at the same time. you're not going to be able to keep interest in one ...

    Nov 19, 2008
  • Fantasy Short Stories Re: Illusions of Life

    Great suspense, though, as others have mentioned, you may call it either "classic" or "cliche" depending on taste. It is a very common beginning which makes it very hard to ...

    Nov 16, 2008
  • NovMo Archives Re: Too Few Words, Too Little Plot

    give all your minor characters complex backgrounds, and work them into the story every time you mention them. :) It's actually quite fun. ~Annie

    Nov 12, 2008
  • Fiction Discussion Re: Would a character smoking in a novel bother you?

    Why would there be any problem with a character smoking? People smoke in real life. In my opinion, a novel world in which nobody smokes at all (even when their ...

    Nov 7, 2008
  • Writers Corner Re: New Story Line!

    I agree with the above posters. The storyline as you have it sounds fascinating, but the technicalities of hiding a blind person's disability seem too complex to even attempt. I ...

    Nov 7, 2008
  • NovMo Archives Re: Post Your NaNo '08 Wordcount!

    Jesus, I thought I was doing well until I came back here. Halfway done on day five - Are you trying to finish within the week? Or planning on writing ...

    Nov 6, 2008
  • NovMo Archives Re: Post Your NaNo '08 Wordcount!

    cheater! :P Anyways, one hour in, 1212 words, and I'm calling it a night. God, I've got so much homework... ~Annie

    Nov 1, 2008
  • NovMo Archives Re: Post Your NaNo '08 Wordcount!

    45 minutes left and counting. Current word count: 0. god, this is worse than new year's. ~Annie

    Nov 1, 2008
  • Writing Tips Re: Lengthening Writing

    description and conflict. Let the reader know enough description, backstory, and exposition to understand what's happening. Then take as long as you need to in order to develop and resolve ...

    Nov 1, 2008
  • Fantasy Novels Re: Broken Wings, chaps. 1-4

    Not bad. You've got an interesting setting, which I'd like to see more of. As far as characters go, it's hard to get a grasp on them - everything moves ...

    Oct 31, 2008
  • Writing Tips Re: Second Person

    There's at least one novel written in 2nd person: Bright Lights, Big City. I don't personally like reading 2nd person - it tends to alienate me from the story rather ...

    Oct 29, 2008
  • Writing Tips Re: Help with Tenses

    actually, "was walking" is past tense. It's imperfect past tense, but still, the thing they're talking about HAPPENED. It's not in the process of HAPPENING right this second. The two ...

    Oct 18, 2008


It's easier to come up with new stories than it is to finish the ones you already have. I think every author would feel that way.
— Stephanie Meyer