User avatar

SilentButSure

  • Serious Discussion and Debate Re: I hate Harry Potter; now discuss.

    I do not like HP books. Why? 1. It's supposed to be children's books. And it's witchcraft. Aren't you supposed to let children read books that you get nice lessons ...

    Mar 17, 2008
  • Serious Discussion and Debate Re: I hate Harry Potter; now discuss.

    So then when does literary allusion become plagiarism? Read this and this ; they touch on that (not so much with allusion, but with borrowing from an original source). Thanks ...

    Mar 17, 2008
  • Serious Discussion and Debate Re: I hate Harry Potter; now discuss.

    Take the example of the spiders. JK's aragog is almost exactly like Shelob. The names are even similar and both taken from other names that simply mean a spider. That's ...

    Mar 16, 2008
  • Serious Discussion and Debate Re: I hate Harry Potter; now discuss.

    Believe me, I can be just as childish as the next person (I sleep with a pink monkey!). Doesn't mean I'm going to start reading Spot books and watching Rosie ...

    Mar 16, 2008
  • Serious Discussion and Debate Re: I hate Harry Potter; now discuss.

    Perhaps plagiarism is the wrong word to use but I'm not sure it's just literary allusion either. Say someone on this forum wrote a story with a flying, talking hamster ...

    Mar 15, 2008
  • General Fiction Short Stories Re: Sarah's Eyes

    I like this too, it's attention grabbing and makes me want to read more (if only there was more to read :wink: ) One thing I would suggest though is ...

    Mar 4, 2008
  • General Fiction Short Stories Re: Deleted

    I've read this already but I thought I'd review it because I'm bored. He was laughing, so loud he could be heard above everything else, above the mismatched music, the ...

    Mar 4, 2008
  • General Fiction Short Stories Re: Roy

    Thanks to people who have commented so far, I'll take into consideration what you've said. I was going to revise it tonight but I really don't have my writing brain ...

    Mar 3, 2008
  • Welcome Mat Re: *Peeks out from hiding place* Um...hello?

    Oh horrible boarding school, naturally. It's a state one so already rubbish because we don't have posh private facilities. And it's in Lincolnshire, the most boring place possibly in the ...

    Mar 3, 2008
  • General Fiction Short Stories Re: My Little Secrets

    Your story needs a bit of flesh to it. You have the basic outline but it needs to be padded out with more description. Try to describe how the main ...

    Mar 3, 2008
  • General Fiction Short Stories Re: Deleted

    Don't tease me *pout* I just picked a random example because I'm in my free right now and should be finishing off my English coursework XD We have spoken falsely; ...

    Mar 3, 2008
  • Welcome Mat Re: *Peeks out from hiding place* Um...hello?

    Nooo found out. I thought of that film by the way, the one that My Left Foot reminded me of, it was Inside I'm Dancing. No I've not really been ...

    Mar 2, 2008
  • General Fiction Short Stories Re: Roy

    This is the only thing I've written recently that I've taken semi-seriously so some comments would be nice. Sorry it's a bit weird and it's only called "Roy" because I ...

    Mar 2, 2008
  • General Fiction Short Stories Re: Deleted

    Attempt at not being "too nice": Some of the sentences make me think "OMG when is this sentence going to be over", not as bad as the sort of run ...

    Mar 2, 2008
  • Lounge, The Re: World hunger has been cured?

    The best plan would be to use all the money used on military expenses around the world to cure world poverty instead. There is more than enough. But noooo, war ...

    Mar 2, 2008


This is the way the world ends, not with a bang but a whimper.
— T.S. Eliot