User avatar

Rei

  • Writing Tips Re: The Novel: Some Basic Advice

    Getting Started Novels are a tricky business. They take a lot more time than short stories and poetry and require more planning. Writers are constantly being asked where they get ...

    Aug 12, 2005
  • Writing Tips Re: How DO you write?

    Basically. I think it was even worse when I got to writer's craft in grade twelve. The stories we were asked to write were generally less than one thousand words, ...

    Aug 11, 2005
  • Writing Tips Re: How DO you write?

    What did you get to do instead of going to English?

    Aug 11, 2005
  • Writing Tips Re: How DO you write?

    Whats a G&T program?

    Aug 11, 2005
  • Writing Tips Re: How DO you write?

    It really is quite frustrating. I mean, if my teacher had recognized that it wasn't lack of disciplin or skill, but rather an above-average talent for writing (compared to all ...

    Aug 10, 2005
  • Writing Tips Re: How DO you write?

    I don't think I've ever written anything good for school either. Fictionwise at least. I was writting stories that were an average of fifteen pages, 300 words a page, in ...

    Aug 10, 2005
  • Writing Tips Re: Muses

    I love the fact that you said fantasy geek. I have no muse. Every piece of writing I come in contact with influences me in some way.

    Aug 10, 2005
  • Writing Tips Re: How DO you write?

    Cheers to that, Rincewind. I dislike writing down outlines, too. One of the reasons for that is because stories that are longer than twenty pages don't come fully formed all ...

    Aug 10, 2005
  • Writing Tips Re: Love scenes

    No, you're not. Just think about who these characters are, what they look like, and how they will feel about each other once they start the relationship. Supposedly my grandfather ...

    Aug 10, 2005
  • Writing Tips Re: How DO you write?

    I do the same thing, Sam. But mainly because I like to write stories about things I dealt with growing up, so putting myself into the character is almost inevitable.

    Aug 10, 2005
  • Writing Tips Re: Love scenes

    Think about only your story, and stay away from other love stories. Also, just stay true to your character and who s/he is. Carefully placed humour always helps, too. The ...

    Aug 3, 2005
  • Writing Tips Re: Creations of a Fantasy World

    Oh yeah. My books certainly write themselves. With A Different Kind of Goblin, I know what I want to include, and have particular scenes in mind. But if you as ...

    Aug 1, 2005
  • Writing Tips Re: Research

    I tend not to do research specifically for a story. I just learn as much as I can about stuff I'm interested in, particularly in relation to the kind of ...

    Jul 30, 2005
  • Writing Tips Re: Dialogue 101 (Part One)

    yep, I'm with Sam and Snoink on this one. You shouldn't overuse words like "said" but neither should you go out of your way to find words to use instead. ...

    Jul 30, 2005
  • Writing Tips Re: Creations of a Fantasy World

    As someone who has completed four short novels and a one-act play without any serious preplanning and almost never getting stuck, I can definitely support Rincewind on this. People have ...

    Jul 30, 2005


It is better to deserve honors and not have them than to have them and not deserve them.
— Mark Twain